Mo Alexander

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I had almost forgotten about him before this game. But man does he have instincts and speed on special teams. You have to think that his destiny is as a safety on this team, and soon. Fisher had an enormous man-crush on this dude before the draft (as illustrated below); and as a former safety himself, you have to believe that he's got an eye for this kind of talent.

....as the scouting process played out, became an under-the-radar obsession of sorts for Fisher.

"If I don't get him," he told Demoff and Snead on Friday night, "I'm gonna be mad."

"How mad?" Demoff asked.

"Like, Bobby Wagner mad."

Ouch -- the reference to Wagner, another ex-Utah State defender, evoked an unpleasant memory from the 2012 draft: Rather than picking Wagner, the middle linebacker he coveted with the 45th overall selection, Fisher got greedy, trading down five spots to pick up a fifth-round pick from the Chicago Bears. Two selections later, the Seahawks took Wagner, who would become an instant standout and, in his second season, serve as the defensive signal-caller for their Super Bowl-winning team. The Rams (who still could have drafted future Tampa Bay Buccaneers star linebacker Lavonte David, for what it's worth) instead took running back Isaiah Pead, a major disappointment who probably will have to fight for his roster spot this summer.

"If you want him that much," Demoff advised Fisher, "just take him in the fourth round, even if you think he might be around later. It's not worth messing around."

LINK
With the emergence of McDonald and McLeod, plus the addition of Barron and the future of Alexander, what was perceived to be a weakness going into this year may end up being one of our bigger strengths going into next. Yeah?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He sure looked good on ST yesterday. I love the way this defense is coming on, having good depth to compete will only make them all better. Now if we can just get something like this going on the OLine. (y)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm not thrilled with McLeod as a FS. better as a SS. can't cover for shit. they should try Alexander at outside LB. put on some weight and crack skulls. might save us from wasting a pick or money on one next year

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not thrilled with McLeod as a FS. better as a SS. can't cover for crap. they should try Alexander at outside LB. put on some weight and crack skulls. might save us from wasting a pick or money on one next year
You're like a ray of sunshine in a field of unicorns.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm not thrilled with McLeod as a FS. better as a SS. can't cover for crap. they should try Alexander at outside LB. put on some weight and crack skulls. might save us from wasting a pick or money on one next year
I agree about McLeod. He's not afraid to tackle, we all know he's a big hitter. Not reliable on deep routes, but good in short zone/man slot coverages. This team basically has 4 SS.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I agree about McLeod. He's not afraid to tackle, we all know he's a big hitter. Not reliable on deep routes, but good in short zone/man slot coverages. This team basically has 4 SS.

If you're ceiling as a defense is only giving up 7 points to Peyton, which was a blown coverage, does it matter what make-up you have a safety?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I loved the way McLeod played yesterday, it was an inspiring performance... Just ask Emmanuel Sanders. :sneaky:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

before the season/camp even started fisher said mo would only be playing special teams this year. they have a long term plan for him.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
If you're ceiling as a defense is only giving up 7 points to Peyton, which was a blown coverage, does it matter what make-up you have a safety?
No. I'm not bashing it at all, just stating my ideas.
If you only give up 7 points to anyone at all it doesn't matter what system/scheme/set you play in, it's obviously working. This game plan will not work for every offense though. It looks as though the Rams defensive mindset is to get to the qb before they can go deep. For whatever the reason, our deep ball defense has burned us all year.

Irish

Starter
We are all really high on the safety position right now, and for good reason, but lets not forget that this team right now has a glut of strong safeties and no true free safeties. Yeah, it is nice to mollywallop every pass catcher who comes across the field, but if the Rams don't secure that position, and soon, McDonald, Barron, and McCleod had better get used to 15 yard targeting penalties, because the way that game was officiated yesterday is definitely not the norm, especially in today's laundry happy NFL officiating landscape.

That being said, those hits yesterday were a thing of beauty, and Alexander coming from my alma mater (go Eureka Wildcats!) really makes me pull for the kid. If nothing else, he can have a damn fine career as a special teams star.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
His athleticism shined on teams yesterday. He moved more like a CB or somebody smaller. Very glad to see him contribute. I could definately see him filling the SS/LB hybrid role this defense is starting to adopt.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No. I'm not bashing it at all, just stating my ideas.
If you only give up 7 points to anyone at all it doesn't matter what system/scheme/set you play in, it's obviously working. This game plan will not work for every offense though. It looks as though the Rams defensive mindset is to get to the qb before they can go deep. For whatever the reason, our deep ball defense has burned us all year.

I can agree, to a point. But let's ride out the rest of this year and see how it looks. We are just starting to come on as a defense.

It's a good thing we don't play the Packers this year.

Simba

Rookie
I can agree, to a point. But let's ride out the rest of this year and see how it looks. We are just starting to come on as a defense.

It's a good thing we don't play the Packers this year.
For theme too ... :LOL:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it's not about just one game. he's done it several times which kinda deflated an easily distracted team in other games. didn't happen this game tho. he's definitely a decent player. FS just isn't his best position IMO. it's not about a defense giving up a few points. it's just how those points are given up.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Ridiculous how many thumpers we have on the back end now. I know it would be nice to have a ball hawking FS type as well, but I'm damn thankful for what we DO have. The defense yesterday reminded me of watching the Rams of my youth in the 70's and 80's, been waiting a long time for a game like that.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If McLeod could just develop some better instincts and learn some discipline so he didn't give up big plays so often - see Denvers TD? Jenkins was going crazy at him. He could be a heck of a player!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I like how this topic derailed into a discussion of SS vs FS. Mo Alexander is a work in progress for this team, he'll get his snaps at the safety position once he understands Williams's defense.

Once we get it all together, expect our secondary to rotate the same way the 2013 Seahawks defense rotates its front seven as well as our D-line. Fresh legs will often perform better, especially when the opposing offense is fatigued

JCK363

Behind Enemy Lines
Name
John
Off topic:

That being said, those hits yesterday were a thing of beauty, and Alexander coming from my alma mater (go Eureka Wildcats!)

Class of '87 here!

Would love to see him make it!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I had a couple of those who dat moments with Mo. The dude was on fire on ST. I hope he does come on to challenge for a starting roster spot. I realize all the talk about FS/SS but Fish has always said there is not a real delineation in his system. I still say that McD is the full package, Barron may have better coverage skills than people know, and Mcleod had a pretty good game aside from the one where he got burned.

If Mo can crack this line-up, that speaks volumes for his abilities. If he becomes a rotational player and a ST ace, I'm good with that too. But I have a feeling he will be starting for us by next year some time.