Mo Alexander keeps getting mentioned...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...anyone think he's got a shot at unseating McLeod as the other starting S across from McDonald? He's got athleticism to burn... heart to burn... size, speed (4.40 was his best 40 time), what's not to like?

If nothing else, with a bit of buzz around him thus far three days into camp, he may get a shot at being part of the safety rotation in the Big Nickel. I could see situations where it's McLeod, Barron and McDonald, and then they swap out McLeod for Alexander to get a bit more size.

Exciting to have safety depth, ain't it?

Stel

Starter
No way. I read he was a wasted pick when he was selected. I read it on the internet, so it has to be true.

Rooting for the kid. Not sure he will take over for McLeod this season (barring injury) but it would be nice if he was ready to start next season (since McLeod is a FA).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way. I read he was a wasted pick when he was selected. I read it on the internet, so it has to be true.

Rooting for the kid. Not sure he will take over for McLeod this season (barring injury) but it would be nice if he was ready to start next season (since McLeod is a FA).
Good point on McLeod being a FA after this year. I'm rooting for the kid, too... Fisher knows safeties.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
...anyone think he's got a shot at unseating McLeod as the other starting S across from McDonald? He's got athleticism to burn... heart to burn... size, speed (4.40 was his best 40 time), what's not to like?

If nothing else, with a bit of buzz around him thus far three days into camp, he may get a shot at being part of the safety rotation in the Big Nickel. I could see situations where it's McLeod, Barron and McDonald, and then they swap out McLeod for Alexander to get a bit more size.

Exciting to have safety depth, ain't it?

He's really more of a Barron/McDonald type, he can't cover like McLeod does. I could see him subbing in for McLeod in obvious run situations though, yeah.

I think if he does get a shot on the field, it's going to be him beating out Barron for that LB/SS hybrid role. And maybe if either McD or Alexander eventually develops FS like coverage skills, you could have the two of them as the starting safeties. But right now, none of them compare. I wouldn't trust a single one of them besides McLeod in any type of deep coverage and especially not the single high we often run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They are playing it smart. McLeod may get more money than they want to pay him. He has been praised by various coaches across the league, for his game. They may also be preparing to let Barron walk. Alexander could play either role IMO, but is better suited for Barrons.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's really more of a Barron/McDonald type, he can't cover like McLeod does. I could see him subbing in for McLeod in obvious run situations though, yeah.

I think if he does get a shot on the field, it's going to be him beating out Barron for that LB/SS hybrid role. And maybe if either McD or Alexander eventually develops FS like coverage skills, you could have the two of them as the starting safeties. But right now, none of them compare. I wouldn't trust a single one of them besides McLeod in any type of deep coverage and especially not the single high we often run.
I'm not sure I agree with your take on him. He's got the speed and athleticism to cover the deep part of the field. The biggest knock on him was experience at safety, and I think with good coaching and a year of NFL tutelage under his belt, he could compete for McLeod's role - only question is can he diagnose plays quickly enough?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not sure I agree with your take on him. He's got the speed and athleticism to cover the deep part of the field. The biggest knock on him was experience at safety, and I think with good coaching and a year of NFL tutelage under his belt, he could compete for McLeod's role - only question is can he diagnose plays quickly enough?

Speed and athleticism is fine, but it takes instincts and tons of football knowledge to play FS. There's no guarantee Alexander has what it takes to play the FS role. It's as much mental as it is physical. I'd rather have McLeod, who's doing a fine job himself, to stay there as a guaranteed pretty good FS. There's a reason Gregg Williams and Fisher love him there.

Right now, Alexander is the backup to McDonald and Barron. The coaches have made that pretty clear. I'm not sure they see him as a FS type either. I think his blitzing ability and run stopping ability would be better served at SS/LB in the Kam Chancellor/TJ McDonald role. No point in shoving him into a role he's not unless McLeod is injured or leaves.

If anything were to happen, I'd think they'd rather put McDonald back in the McLeod role, and Alexander moves into McD's role.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think McCleod will ever be a pro bowl type safety. But I really though he improved last year. I have a feeling he will be the starting FS. I have no problem with that. We could do worse.

FRO

Legend
I think I'm one of the few that actually like McLeod. Has has improved so much since 2013 when he first became the starter. Maybe after Dahl my expectations for safeties are low.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't trust a single one of them besides McLeod in any type of deep coverage and especially not the single high we often run.
I trust TJ Mc way more that McLeod....I'd also trust Mark Barron.....Those guys are just superior players, IMO, and would do a better job with game reps....McLeod not only misreads passes, he misses too many tackles.

he can't cover like McLeod does.
Well, this sounds like a good thing....

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I trust TJ Mc way more that McLeod....I'd also trust Mark Barron.....Those guys are just superior players, IMO, and would do a better job with game reps....McLeod not only misreads passes, he misses too many tackles.

Well, this sounds like a good thing....

This shows exactly how underrated McLeod is on this forum. Not only is McLeod vastly superior than McD, Barron, and Alexander in coverage, he's one of the better coverage safeties in the NFL. It's incredible how many people are hung up on 5 bad plays from McLeod without praising or acknowledging the 100 good ones.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Xh8TF3F.png

There's some PFF grades to illustrate my point. See McDonald's coverage grade? See McLeod's?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Alexander will more likely make Barron expendable in 2016. With his physical style and good size, Alexander is more along the lines of the prototype strong safety and with his limited experience I think it will take him more time to adept to the FS position than the SS spot.

McLeod as a FA in 2016 may very well be too expensive to retain especially with all of the other priority FA's the Rams will need to keep. I hope that either/or Cody Davis and Christian Bryant can be ready to replace McLeod in 2106.
Right now he is a bit of a long shot but the rookie Jacob Hagan after year of seasoning on the PS could become a candidate to replace McLeod too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure if many of you remember Sean Taylor...or a bunch of FS's from a while ago...size isn't what determines whether a guy can read an offense or how to play the pass...It's instincts...and an innate ability to be where you are supposed to be (deepest man on the field). And tackling, esp. open field tackling is a premium skill set. I'll comment on McLeod at the bottome but just continue to watch him. We were a#17 or 18 ranked defense..so, no one is really irreplaceable...IMO

Here is Fishers comments yesterday:
(On S Maurice Alexander)
"You know he is playing really fast right now and that implies that he knows what to do. I mean he’s sure He’s decisive. He makes good decisions. He is reacting, he’s very athletic and he’s playing fast. He’s going to make a lot of plays for us."
No reason to believe he can't play FS...or SS...or wherever Williams wants him...

@TheDYVKX , I kinda like PFF, and sometimes I don't....TJ & Rodney play different roles...typically TJ is in the box, while Rodney plays the deep 3rd/middle. TJ is often manned up with one of the toughest positions to guard in man to man coverage, the TE...I'd expect his pass coverage stats to reflect this. Rodney gets manned up on who? When? How can their ratings be considered equal? Or even compared? the one stat that can be compared is missed tackles...even though they typically attack ball carriers from different angles and at different speeds. The only true measure is the eye test. And my EYES tell me, McLeod is a special teamer, that has been forced to play a major role on a defense. And while adequate, he continues to make boneheaded plays, at the worst possible times. To have an elite D, you must be strong up the middle. TJ, Barron, and hopefully Mo can offer this....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We shouldn't go to sleep on Christian Bryant, fellas.

CoachO had some extremely high praise for him in his camp report.

He's a player highly regarded for his instincts. Something very handy for a FS, don't you think? And off the charts intangibles as a bonus.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Depth isn't the worst thing to have - especially at a position that has haunted us over the last 5-10 years.

This Defense is just stacked.

The only place we aren't really deep is LB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, he has a great shot. Alexander was drafted to be the future safety.

If you look back on when he was drafted, Fisher said he'd be "Bobby Wagner mad" if they didn't get Alexander. Fisher was obviously spot on with Wagner, so I expect Alexander to become a stud.

Also, those saying he's just a SS......if he was indeed drafted to be a future starter, which I believe he was, and McDonald has SS locked down............yea, he'll be a FS.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fisher knows safeties.

^ This.

He killed it with TJM, who looks like one of the best young safeties in the league and who should get some accolades this season. Dug McLeod out of the refuse bin, never thought that dude would be a quality NFL starter but think I'm wrong as of this moment.

Why wouldn't he be right about Alexander?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If....SS Mark Barron making 2.4 mil & FS Rod McLeod making 2.36 mil in 2015 & both being UFA's in 2016. No one thinks that they will sign their next contracts for lesser amounts ....

and If these two back ups make big improvements in 2015 & along with their very low costs (SS Mo Alexander who will make 716K & FS Christian Bryant 525K in 2016) could play a major role in NOT resigning of those two NFL starters (Barron/McLeod).

This is their big opportunity training camp & preseason to place seeds deep into Snead/Fisher/Williams minds.