MNF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Awww. Must suck to lose a game because the other team got away with penalties.
We Rams fans know nothing about that kind of injustice. :meh:

carPI.gif

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I didn't hear what the reason was for them picking up the flag.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Awww. Must suck to lose a game because the other team got away with penalties.
We Rams fans know nothing about that kind of injustice. :meh:

I'm glad this call didn't go against our Rams!!!! But if it did, we would not be surprised.

carPI.gif
I'm glad this call didn't go against our Rams!!!! But if it did, we would not be surprised.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was talking about all the mugging of Rams' receivers and late hits on Warner in SB36

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Definitely an egregious non-call. Refs really need to be looked at, they've been directly and negatively effecting games all season long. It's gotta stop eventually.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I didn't hear what the reason was for them picking up the flag.

Call from commissioner? Who knows? The call was reversed pretty quickly. Usually, they would huddle a second but maybe they thought they should get off the field quickly?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Call from commissioner? Who knows? The call was reversed pretty quickly. Usually, they would huddle a second but maybe they thought they should get off the field quickly?
Maybe they want the Panthers as the NFC representative in the SB this year?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Nobody hates the patriots any more than me, but if you throw a flag on the last play of the game like that you can't second guess yourself immediately and you certainly can't pick it up right away either. Terrible officiating and if it happened to the Rams I'd be through the roof...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct call imo. Pass was uncatchable and defensive holding no longer applies after ball is thrown.

Gronk didn't help matters either by putting next to no effort into going after the ball. I'm sorry but if he wanted to go after it, he could have made a hard plant and gotten run over by Kuechly. That would have sold the call at least. Instead, he back-pedaled while slowing halfheartedly for 4 yards and then made a half arse plant after the ball was intercepted.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
You know, I don't really care so much that the Patriots lost on what appears to be a bad call, and yet after what happened to the Rams in Carolina, I don't doubt the zebras were giving the home team a break. And then there's Smith stirring up shit. I just wonder if he'd have the guts to do that when he's on the road ...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Correct call imo. Pass was uncatchable and defensive holding no longer applies after ball is thrown.
So, are you saying that "after the ball is throw" is would become pass interference? At the point the ball is thrown is the point in which a call would change from defensive holding to pass interference. If that's the case, then I just learned something new tonight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, are you saying that "after the ball is throw" is would become pass interference? At the point the ball is thrown is the point in which a call would change from defensive holding to pass interference. If that's the case, then I just learned something new tonight.

Yes. Before the ball is throw, illegal contact or defensive holding is called. After it's thrown, only pass interference is called.

Also, illegal contact cannot be called once the QB leaves the pocket...even if he's scrambling and hasn't thrown the ball.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yes. Before the ball is throw, illegal contact or defensive holding is called. After it's thrown, only pass interference is called.

Also, illegal contact cannot be called once the QB leaves the pocket...even if he's scrambling and hasn't thrown the ball.
Sooo... penalty progression:

1. QB Holding Ball in Pocket = Defensive Holding
2. QB Holding Ball & Scrambles Outside Pocket = Illegal Contact
3. QB Releases Ball = Pass Interference.

Very cool

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sooo... penalty progression:

1. QB Holding Ball in Pocket = Defensive Holding
2. QB Holding Ball & Scrambles Outside Pocket = Illegal Contact
3. QB Releases Ball = Pass Interference.

Very cool

Not quite.

QB Holding the Ball in Pocket = Defensive Holding or Illegal Contact
QB Scrambling with Ball = Defensive Holding
QB Releases the Ball = Pass Interference

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

exactly, that ball was only going one place - to the chest of the db. No matter what gronk did.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Gronk didn't help matters either by putting next to no effort into going after the ball. I'm sorry but if he wanted to go after it, he could have made a hard plant and gotten run over by Kuechly. That would have sold the call at least. Instead, he back-pedaled while slowing halfheartedly for 4 yards and then made a half arse plant after the ball was intercepted.
It was only uncatchable because Gronk was being held, if he wasn't can you honestly say he wouldn't have come back like he was obviously intending and at least fought for the ball? It only looks that bad because Kuechly held him back enough to keep him out of the play so his guy could jump the route.

There is something to on Gronk putting in zero effort, but I imagine he was expecting a flag, you usually do when a guy wraps his arms around you completely and hugs you.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the second time in as many years on MNF the game was decided by a referees meeting/discussion.
Both times the home team was given YES, GIVEN the call.
There is ZERO doubt in my mind that the flag would NOT have been picked up at a point in the game where it would not have been construed as the refs "deciding" the game,IOW if it was going to put the ball on the 1 at 4:23 in the second quarter and the score was 7-0 Carolina at the time.
FWIW this call was no better than the one made in Seattle's favor last year and the replacement refs. were held out as the GREAT SATANS of football.
I got NO PROBLEM that the Pats got hosed like a MOFO , I do have a problem with being expected to see it differently than it was just cuz ,it WAS THE PATS,I am ecstatic they got hosed, no one can take the joy of that from me, THEY GOT HOSED,my faith in KARMA is restored,no one gets to take that away.