MNF: Ryan Shazier injury...has spinal surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It was a peel block shot directly to the head which is VERY illegal. Juju was trying to injure there.

Illegal. Uncalled for. Unnecessary. Doesn't matter who is doing the hitting and who is getting hit, there is no place in football for crap like that. He easily should have been ejected for that crap.

Not even close to the head. Shoulder to chest.

fearsomefour

Legend
It was a peel block shot directly to the head which is VERY illegal. Juju was trying to injure there.

Illegal. Uncalled for. Unnecessary. Doesn't matter who is doing the hitting and who is getting hit, there is no place in football for crap like that. He easily should have been ejected for that crap.
Forever that would be called.....football.
The new pussy rules don't change the game.

Debacled

Starter
Forever that would be called.....football.
The new wuss rules don't change the game.
And hockey goalies used to play without masks. Jacques Plante caught hell for years for being the first guy to wear one.

Just because thats how it used to be doesn't mean it is now or that it is ok.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

what is it with nfl players using their heads to make hits? shoulders man, shoulders. i'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

It's why I drone on and on about Pete Carroll's tackling method. It's solid, gets guys to the ground (Bobby Wagner hasn't missed a tackle all year!!!) and keeps the head out of the play.

Lots of reasons to not like Pete, but his tackling method would have saved Shazier.

Bottom line.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understood Rams signing him,because it was well documented that
his suckage was very much on display prior.

Jeff fisher and his love affair with titans players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure how accurate this report is?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ebacker-ryan-shazier-carted-field-back-injury

Ryan Shazier won't need surgery, will remain in hospital after suffering scary back injury

CINCINNATI -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier underwent an MRI and a CT scan at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after suffering a back injury in a collision with Cincinnati Bengals receiver Josh Malone early in the first quarter of Pittsburgh's 23-20 win Monday night. Shazier left the stadium in an ambulance.

Shazier's injury will not require surgery at this time, and he will stay overnight to continue evaluations with the hopes of returning to Pittsburgh on Tuesday, the team announced.

Steelers linebacker Vince Williams told ESPN that Shazier, as he was being carted off the field, told Williams he could feel his extremities and that he would be OK.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to him," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said immediately after the game. "He's receiving quality medical care."

The Ramowl

Starter
It's why I drone on and on about Pete Carroll's tackling method. It's solid, gets guys to the ground (Bobby Wagner hasn't missed a tackle all year!!!) and keeps the head out of the play.

Lots of reasons to not like Pete, but his tackling method would have saved Shazier.

Bottom line.

Honestly, the helmets are to blame for that. In other games where you have similar kind of tackling, players never go head first, because they would hurt themselves.
Football helmets as they are now are a big part of the issue all around actually, here is an interesting Ted Talk about how helmets are actually not helping with concussions at all : https://www.ted.com/talks/david_cam...prevent_concussions_and_what_might/transcript

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Honestly, the helmets are to blame for that. In other games where you have similar kind of tackling, players never go head first, because they would hurt themselves.
Football helmets as they are now are a big part of the issue all around actually, here is an interesting Ted Talk about how helmets are actually not helping with concussions at all : https://www.ted.com/talks/david_cam...prevent_concussions_and_what_might/transcript

The argument against helmets is one I've heard before when contrasting the NFL to rugby. The lack of a helmet in rugby means the players are forced to learn how to tackle properly keeping the head out of harm's way (or at least as much as you can without leaving it on the sideline).

There's far too little emphasis in the NFL on how to tackle properly. So many players will go shoulder only for the highlight reel hit without wrapping up or using the correct leverage.

Fundamentals! And I don't mean clown fundamentals! (little Futurama reference for you there).

wmc540

Pro Bowler

Even without helmets, I'd think there would still be guys willing to injure themselves to hurt others. I mean it happens all of the time with helmets.

The Ramowl

Starter
Even without helmets, I'd think there would still be guys willing to injure themselves to hurt others. I mean it happens all of the time with helmets.

I'm not saying the helmets are the only cause, reckless players can be an other reason. But tackling head first with no helmet is really scary (and really goes against your self preservation instinct), and even though there are dirty players in rugby too, that's not something you see very often, they usually use shoulders to head to hurt others rather than head to anything.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like great news, as much can be expected at least, for Shazier. That game was a bloodbath though. No love loss between those two teams. Divisional games can be scary especially with two teams with that kind of history.

nighttrain

Legend
NFL was formed pre helmet day, i do not know if it was called NFL, but was the predecessor.n Almost banned because of player deaths, ie head injuries. googled it
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The argument against helmets is one I've heard before when contrasting the NFL to rugby. The lack of a helmet in rugby means the players are forced to learn how to tackle properly keeping the head out of harm's way (or at least as much as you can without leaving it on the sideline).

There's far too little emphasis in the NFL on how to tackle properly. So many players will go shoulder only for the highlight reel hit without wrapping up or using the correct leverage.

Fundamentals! And I don't mean clown fundamentals! (little Futurama reference for you there).
I was just talking to my wife about that this morning. I won't stop my kids from playing a sport they want to play, but two sports I'll never encourage my kids to play are hockey and football ... because armor. Or in the case of hockey, blades, sticks and armor.

fearsomefour

Legend
And hockey goalies used to play without masks. Jacques Plante caught hell for years for being the first guy to wear one.

Just because thats how it used to be doesn't mean it is now or that it is ok.
That was a football play.
You want to get him for helmet to helmet? Ok.
No issue with that.
The block itself was a good play, intent and execution (minus the h 2 h). He didn't clip him, he didn't go into his knees etc.
having a TE crack down on a DE for example doesn't look at that much different if the DE isent paying attention. A pulling G on a trap can look similiar. Are those "dirty" plays too?
When helping with my buddies youth team and we are having the TE set the edge against a DE or LB that's how we teach it. You don't go low, don't go to the head, don't go into the back and then important thing is to make the block, don't leave your feet to make the block. ..seal the edge, not hit hard. Getting in his way can be just as effective and leveling the guy. But, if there is a clean shot there take it. If he isent paying attention, hammer him. It's the game. End of story.
I get and support the efforts toward safety.
But, it is not a seven on seven flag football passing league. At least not yet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
grab-2017-12-04-22h36m23s73.png