MMQB's Andy Benoit's Film Breakdown: Rams vs. Washington

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tweets listed in reverse order: Read from the bottom up

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit
https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit

Film: Overall, #Rams pass designs did not prosper. Receivers were not consistently open and Foles not calm or mobile enough to extend plays.

#Rams Film: LT Robinson remains a bit of a work in progress in pass pro. Inconsistent in mechanics.

Film: too many instances where #Rams, often due to penalties, had to play behind in down and distance. Not built for that.

#Rams Film: RT Havenstein not quick twitch. Must rely on football IQ and mechanics. Showed improvements in these areas as game progressed.

#Rams #Redskins film on Britt 40ydTD, Cover 3 FS Robinson not lined up right (he and Goldson disagreed on positions). Hall horrible coverage

#Rams #Redskins Film: Britt 40-yd TD was shot play built off the end-arounds Rams had been showing.

Film: #Rams a highly scheme offense. They rely on play design and deception, they don’t simply outperform opponents.

Film: #Redskins played Cover 2 in pass situations.

#Rams #Redskins Film: Austin had success on end-around concepts. DE’s Murphy and Kerrigan both had problems with contain against it.

#Rams Film: Foles frenetic in pocket. Tendency to anticipate pressure and lacks a good feel for subtleties of movement.

Film: #Rams first PA deep shot on 1st down (they did well last week vs. Seattle) worked perfectly, but WR Austin ran lazy route. Overthrow.

Film: #Rams behind 17-0 midway through second quarter. They’re not at all built to play catch-up.

Film: like last week, #Redskins played Cover 3, rotated to it postsnap in various ways. DC Barry saw this under John Pagano in SD.

#Redskins Film: LB Riley flashed into backfield multiple times in run game. Play recognition.

Film: #Rams OL – Barnes, Saffold, Brown – struggled to take command on outside zone run concepts early on. #Redskins physically strong DL.

Film: #Rams continued to deploy Austin in variety of ways, often involving him in backfield in some fashion.

#Rams Film: Foles tendency to predetermine some throws. Saw it on 3rd-5 incompletion mid first qtr.

#Redskins Film: Kerrigan played WOLB, Murphy SOLB.

Film: #Redskins primary package was “big nickel” with 6th round rookie Kyshoen Jarrett.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
When was the last time the Rams played well against a 3-4 defense?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Film: #Rams a highly scheme offense. They rely on play design and deception, they don’t simply outperform opponents.
This is the one that bothers me. I realize it may be a necessity with the inexperience but we need to see some games and times when this offense dictates instead of tricking the defense. I'm fine with tricking the defense - just not relying on it for all your offense. To prevent three and outs, we have to be able to impose our will at key times and it just doesn't seem like we have done that in either game really.

I thought the Rams looked like the better team all around on opening day but clearly not on week 2. Let's hope they can have some plays where everyone knows what they are going to do yet the defense is powerless to stop them.

Rainram

Starter

I'm with RamFan503. At some point you're players have be able to line up and beat the player opposite them. Whether it's WR on a DB, TE on LB/S, OL vs. DL. I liked Cigs' first game...did not like his second. This tells me that if they out-scheme us, we lose. Unless Cignetti transforms into Martz, we'll need more from our individual offensive players.

#Rams Film: Foles frenetic in pocket. Tendency to anticipate pressure and lacks a good feel for subtleties of movement.

I saw the same. Kinda strange, since I consider him to have above-average pocket awareness and pocket mobility. IMO he was our worst performer on Offense last Sunday. And I like Foles...had a bad game though.

Film: #Rams behind 17-0 midway through second quarter. They’re not at all built to play catch-up.

I think I agree with that...I say "I think," because I don't know why we are not. Austin is a speed demon and mismatch nightmare. Cook is the same. Our RBs can be threats in the receiving game (need more of this!!!!!). Foles has the ability to sling it.

My own reasoning is that we need one of two things:
- An OLine capable of providing excellent pass protection. Patriot-esque pass protection.
OR
- A Calvin Johnson, OBJ, Dez, Antonio - type of WR. I don't know if Quick is that person. I can hope

Film: #Rams continued to deploy Austin in variety of ways, often involving him in backfield in some fashion.

We need another WR to step up in a big way!

Film: #Rams OL – Barnes, Saffold, Brown – struggled to take command on outside zone run concepts early on. #Redskins physically strong DL.

I'm not overly surprised by our OLine's learning curve. I know that Washington has a strong front, but I would liked to have seen us run the ball better. Our defensive front is great, but they bullied us. At some point our run blocking is going to have to dominate those across from them. That needs to happen!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pretty much what we all saw. Out schemed, out muscled and out executed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I saw this title... I wasn't sure I wanted to open this thread. It's the equivalent of opening the lid on a clogged up toilet.

I'm ready for this game to get in the rearview mirror!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I saw this title... I wasn't sure I wanted to open this thread. It's the equivalent of opening the lid on a clogged up toilet.

I'm ready for this game to get in the rearview mirror!
Yeah - I didn't either. And great analogy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fisher is to much of a control FREAK !!! He never attacked with pass when box was loaded.
Watching the Redskins game right now makes me think there are going to get blown out .....
--Just a shame The Rams just look pathetic against teams they should beat.
--The thing that was not said was The Rams have looked good in both second halfs this season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say we have not looked good on zone running plays this year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's weird, in the preseason it looked like they were zone running fairly well. Guess that's what happens when people game plan for you.

diverdown

UDFA
Austin is a speed demon and mismatch nightmare. Cook is the same.

I have no idea why people still think this. Austin has been worthless downfield. He may be fast, but that doesn't make him a good WR. He can't even run routes to get open. He's still young, so he still has hope of developing into more than a trick play/returner, unlike....Cook. Overpaid, overrated, lazy, not young. Sure, he can catch 4 passes for 40 yards, but he is hardly a nightmare (unless you are making out his checks). Drops lots of passes, worthless in the running game. Will never dominate or win you a game.

Realllllly bad 1st round pick most likely and really bad FA signing. These are the signs of long-term losing teams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin is not worthless downfield. He beat Sherman early in game one by three steps but Foles underthrew it/was late on throw. The dude should have a TD to go with the other two. Yes I know he is still inconsistent in routes but his speed compensates and TDs are TDs. You can't ignore what should be 3 already on this young season.

Not going to over-focus on the Washington result as it pertains to the WRs in general. The OL got effin manhandled like a bunch of pussies. Any offense is going to look like garbage when that happens. Some of it might have been the 3-4 front and young/inexperienced players but even Saffold looked like crap.

I do think Cigs needs to juggle his WR depth chart and have been saying it for several years just like many others here. START BAILEY. He should be an early read option in place of Cook and Britt in their play design. The dude runs correct routes, gets open and if it's single coverage Foles will give him a chance which is what I love about our current QB.

The hope now of course is that Gurley changes this offense like Faulk did. It is possible but for that to happen he'll have to BLOW UP a defense. If he does that to the Steelers then yes all of a sudden teams won't be able to play the Rams offense the same way. But unless this young line has a serious bounce-back game the Rams could be facing a blowout. Steelers have a very good offense and play their butts off on defense. Far better team than the Skins.

EDIT: I'm with you on Cook. It is time for him to stop the drops. This offense cannot overcome dropped passes on key downs. It's just not good enough for that yet. He's paid to make plays so effin make them.

beej

Rookie
And that's the reason we don't win preseason games, and at least some regular season games.