MMQB's 2017 NFL Awards: Rams get lots of love but Aaron Donald loses out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/03/a...ear-rookie-year-coach-executive-most-improved

The MMQB's 2017 NFL Awards
By PETER KING AND THE MMQB STAFF
January 03, 2018

With the regular season in the books, our panel of 15 writers and editors cast their ballots for the 2017 NFL awards—some traditional, some MMQB originals. Unlike AP voting, out voters cast ranked ballots, rather than just one name, for every award. Point totals are based on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale for MVP, and either 5-4-3-2-1 or 3-2-1 for the rest of the honors.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES

The actual vote might be closer, but Tom Brady won our vote by a comfortable margin. His closest competitor, Todd Gurley, did not garner a single first-place vote. Only Brady and Carson Wentz appeared on all 15 ballots.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

RONALD C. MODRA/SPORTS IMAGERY/GETTY IMAGES

For our vote, we limited OPOY to non-quarterbacks only.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

LOGAN BOWLES/GETTY IMAGES

Aaron Donald had the most first-place votes, but it was Calais Campbell taking the award.

OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

SEAN GARDNER/GETTY IMAGES

Alvin Kamara appeared first or second on every ballot, enough to hold off rushing champion Kareem Hunt.

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

JONATHAN BACHMAN/GETTY IMAGES

Marshon Lattimore won by a comfortable margin, though Bills CB Tre'Davious White was the only defensive rookie to appear on all 15 ballots.

COACH OF THE YEAR

Sean McVay won the voting by a wide margin, though five different coaches received first-place votes.

ASSISTANT COACH OF THE YEAR

HANNAH FOSLIEN/GETTY IMAGES

For unleashing Case Keenum's potential, Vikings offensive coordinator (and current head-coaching candidate) Pat Shurmur takes the honors.

EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR

ANDY LEWIS/ICON SPORTSWIRE/GETTY IMAGES

It took Howie Roseman just two offseasons to build the Eagles into a powerhouse, needing only 15 games to clinch the NFC's top seed.

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR

DYLAN BUELL/GETTY IMAGES

The Rams dominate the voting, taking each of the top three spots.

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER

EZRA SHAW/GETTY IMAGES

Another win for the Rams, as Goff wins by a comfortable margin, with a couple of quarterbacks trailing in the second and third spots.

MOST DISAPPOINTING PLAYER

A landslide "victory" for Carr, who slid back significantly in what was supposed to be an MVP-type campaign. Teammate Amari Cooper wasn't far behind, in a receiver-heavy vote.

The voters:

Ben Baskin, NFL Reporter
Andy Benoit, Analyst and Staff Writer
Greg Bishop, Senior Writer
Andrew Brandt, Business of Football Columnist
Albert Breer, Senior Reporter
John DePetro, NFL Video Producer
Jacob Feldman, NFL Reporter
Gary Gramling, Senior Editor
Jonathan Jones, Staff Writer
Kalyn Kahler, Editorial Assistant
Peter King, Editor-In-Chief
Robert Klemko, NFL Writer
Conor Orr, Staff Writer
Tim Rohan, NFL Writer
Jenny Vrentas, Senior Writer

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Benoit didn't have Gurley on his MVP ballot nor his OPOY ballot? Then he goes one further and doesn't have Donald on his DPOY ballot? I get not voting them first but not top 5 or 10 for MVP? I realize this is an "office poll" but he should be embarrassed and never allowed to vote on anything ever again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really detest Peter King, and as we go forward dislike the MMQB staff more and more. Might as well just give Tom Brady the MVP award every year tbh. Rename it the Tom Brady award for that matter and get rid of the vote. I'm sure that would make King happy.

And Donald losing DPOY? Whatever. Once again, those dudes can suck it. Hopefully the Rams win the hardware that matters: the Lombardi.

I'm actually surprised they concede most improved to Goff. You know, with McVay being the reason for everything in King's mind.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You know, I don't care about all this.

When we win the Super Bowl...WHEN we win the Super Bowl, we'll all see who's what.

Bottom line. I thought we were a year away. Apparently, even my greatest pie-in-the-sky wishes aren't ambitious enough for this team.

This team isn't being held back by any arbitrary timetable and neither will I any longer.

Now's the time. This is our year. We're gonna win it all and everyone can just stew in their incredulity all off-season and make excuses for why they were so off.

But we'll know. And that's all that matters.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" Andy Benoit" #1 Rams Hater! until it came to Special Teams, that he could not deny us votes! He makes me:puke:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Andy Benoit looks like he has dwarfism......

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For our vote, we limited OPOY to non-quarterbacks only.
But, if we didn't, it'd go to Tom Brady. :LOL:

These things are silly, TBH... but, some thoughts.
Strongly disagree with Defensive Player of the Year... should have gone to Donald.

And that Orr guy actually picked Bellichick for Coach of the year?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strongly disagree with Defensive Player of the Year... should have gone to Donald.

More I think about it, the more I realize the Rams' excellence is going to work against them in the voting. I mean, they have a legit winner in just about every category. But the key ones IMO are MVP and DPOY. I want Gurley and Donald to win those.

Let Peterson take COY. Kamara or whoever can have OPOY. Even give Keenum MIP. Just keep MVP and DPOY out yo mouth if you aren't voting Gurley and Donald.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why doesn't Andy Benoit eat pickles?:thinking:

Because he can't get his head in the jar.:neener:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Fuck benwa balls. And peter k for letting him enter those ridiculous opinions.

I find it interesting that you can be the offensive player of the year yet lose to another offensive player for MVP despite the fact that without Gurley the rams probably dont win the division and maybe even miss the playoffs while grabyourpole would have been capable of getting the patsies a bye and Wilson out performs Brady by kings own criteria for MVP.

I can see a case for Campbell but id prefer to see these awards given after the playoffs because I think that's where the close competition between finalists can see some separation.