MMQB: The Truth About Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No...It only counts when you've been told about the problem, and are unable to correct it. Like last night...seemed to make a concentrated effort to look off defenders. I wonder why?
Right, he is young and working on getting better. Learning from mistakes, which he will most certainly make more of. He will learn from those as well. I think you will agree to the fact that he has major talent and last year did not mean he is a bust.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At this point, if someone cant see how good Goff has been this season, in his 8th, 9th and 10th career starts, then I have to question either your intelligence or agenda

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Because he's a good young QB who's growing with good coaching. Assuming a 22 year old QB with less than a season worth of starts is a finished product is foolish.
He's far from a finished product....I'd hope he is still growing...but he has tendencies on tape....People will make adjustments..Much like the Colt game...this is more about what he can be & do in a perfect situation. As we know, the NFL is about, how do you adjust....how do you play vs the BEST?

I'm still awaiting for this SAME TYPE OF PERFORMANCE against the best teams.

I do love putting his foot up in the 9ers....Could care less what they're going through.

This division is ripe for the taking..

Next game will be another test....In Dallas...supposedly a playoff team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think you will agree to the fact that he has major talent and last year did not mean he is a bust.
He's ALWAYS had major talent...In fact....I always said get ANY of the TOP QB's in that draft....He can throw the rock...Never said he couldn't....didn't love the velocity, but knew you could win with the way he throws the ball...
Never called him a bust....if that was ever a thought, I've always said it's too soon to call a bunch of guys, busts. Too many factors go into why guys don't play well...and it's very rarely talent....
I didn't like certain things he does under pressure....

You know....game was exciting....we were winning....then, here comes Hoyer....a lil part of me wanted them to tie the score...convert that 2 pointer....and force Jared to drive for a fg to win the game....but I was happy when Brockers had that pick. Jeez, Troy Hill got beat down there...lucky to break up that pass. But I thought that would've been a great, just a great moment....Drive down....kick the FG....maybe next week.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He's ALWAYS had major talent...In fact....I always said get ANY of the TOP QB's in that draft....He can throw the rock...Never said he couldn't....didn't love the velocity, but knew you could win with the way he throws the ball...
Never called him a bust....if that was ever a thought, I've always said it's too soon to call a bunch of guys, busts. Too many factors go into why guys don't play well...and it's very rarely talent....
I didn't like certain things he does under pressure....

You know....game was exciting....we were winning....then, here comes Hoyer....a lil part of me wanted them to tie the score...convert that 2 pointer....and force Jared to drive for a fg to win the game....but I was happy when Brockers had that pick. Jeez, Troy Hill got beat down there...lucky to break up that pass. But I thought that would've been a great, just a great moment....Drive down....kick the FG....maybe next week.
Yeah, good thing Hill got beat like usual so he could be there to break up the pass. LOL

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a lil part of me wanted them to tie the score...convert that 2 pointer....and force Jared to drive for a fg to win the game

OK, I've basically stayed out of this back and forth but this one is too much.

So you wanted SF to tie the score to force Goff to have to drive the team in a tie game?

Why?

SMH.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OK, I've basically stayed out of this back and forth but this one is too much.

So you wanted SF to tie the score to force Goff to have to drive the team in a tie game?

Why?
dude....they were already coming back...I actually thought the best way to win that game would be to possess the ball LAST...Cause we weren't stopping ANYBODY at that point....Might as well see what the kid has....That was the 9ers...hadn't scored a TD ALL season...they lit us up for 40. You think I wanted that to happen???

Sorta like when teams are scoring and time is running out...and the defense LETS the offense score, so they have enough time to score themselves.

Again....I thought it ...didn't think I had anything to do with it....then when they tried and converted an onside KICK, I really wished they'd made it ...so they woulda kicked the ball off....sheesh.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
DKVDOWyUMAEgBKy.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
dude....they were already coming back...I actually thought the best way to win that game would be to possess the ball LAST...Cause we weren't stopping ANYBODY at that point....Might as well see what the kid has....That was the 9ers...hadn't scored a TD ALL season...they lit us up for 40. You think I wanted that to happen???

Sorta like when teams are scoring and time is running out...and the defense LETS the offense score, so they have enough time to score themselves.

Again....I thought it ...didn't think I had anything to do with it....then when they tried and converted an onside KICK, I really wished they'd made it ...so they woulda kicked the ball off....sheesh.
All I know is what you wrote (what I quoted) and, as a Rams fan, I cannot see any upside to wanting SF to tie a game the Rams were winning... just can't.

Because you thought we "might as well see what the kid has"?

Sheesh is right... like I said, SMH

I'm out on this now... said my piece...

Carry on with this "discussion" if you wish. Peace.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All I know is what you wrote (what I quoted) and, as a Rams fan, I cannot see any upside to wanting SF to tie a game the Rams were winning... just can't
That type of game....possess the ball last....

You see what almost happened with the onside kick, didn't you?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, let me make sure I have this right.

In training camp his rookie season, Goff didn't look off a receiver. Playing for a coach who decided it was in the franchise's best interests to give most practice time to a known scrub, with an OC who was arguably the least qualified OC in the league, Goff did not improve. With a new set of coaches, in his second start this season, he again didn't look off a receiver, so he sucks. Then in his next game it looks like he has learned to look off a receiver.

Should we conclude that Goff has trouble learning to play QB at a NFL level, or that with quality coaching he can actually improve, and in fact has been one of the better QBs in the league so far this season?

I'm voting for the second option. He has a lot of room to improve still, but he is showing he has the mind to improve. He may or may not end up as a franchise QB, but he gives open minded Rams fans legitimate hope.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lol. You set yourself up nicely for an easy excuse in case he played well, which he did. Unreal.
Yeah....pure luck that I could see that without Reid....Tart or whatever his name coming off and injury....with other corners that appear weak....with Sammy Watkins...we should be able to shred them....Same with the Cowboys...we should shred them.
Just like I wanna see it vs the Seahawks and Cardinals.....to be convinced...against a...good team...

But...lets NOT RAIN on victory Friday....Goff was outstanding....as I hoped he would be....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No...It only counts when you've been told about the problem, and are unable to correct it. Like last night...seemed to make a concentrated effort to look off defenders. I wonder why?
Um..... because he is young and learning the NFL game? Y'know... like virtually everyone but you has been saying?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/22/jared-goff-sean-mcvay-rams-49ers-thursday-night-football

The Truth About Jared Goff, Continued
ANDY BENOIT

CHRIS WILLIAMS/ICON SPORTSWIRE VIA GETTY IMAGES

On Monday morning earlier this week, we were talking about Jared Goff’s ugly, baffling loss-sealing interception to linebacker Mason Foster at the end of the Rams-Washington game. Now, after Thursday’s win over the 49ers, we’re talking about Goff looking every bit like the star you expect a No. 1 overall pick to be.

Goff torched a tired but talented 49ers defense for 292 yards and three touchdowns, completing 22 passes on 28 dropbacks. He took no sacks and had no turnovers.

So which one is the real Jared Goff? Both … but only in the sense that it’s unrealistic to think a 22-year-old quarterback with 10 starts is going to function at an All-Pro level every game. There will be other blunders in the near future—hopefully none as bad as the interception to Foster, but unenjoyable learning experiences nonetheless.

Still, Rams fans—and fans of good quarterbacking—can comfortably bask in the glory of a rising franchise QB. Goff is for real. A big reason is his coach and the system he runs. Sean McVay is fast gaining a reputation as a quarterbacks savant. His offense is a deliberate amalgamation of the Patriots, Saints and Falcons.

The Patriots for their pre-snap motion and receivers’ off-the-line release concepts, the Saints for their downfield route combinations, and the Falcons for the way they marry their passing and outside zone running games.

All of this makes life easier on Goff. The nuance of the formations and the clarity of the play designs create defined reads for the quarterback. Goff has a very nice arm, but not a cannon. He’s built more to be a rhythmic passer. He needs an offense that helps establish that rhythm. A system that successfully blends the Patriots, Saints and Falcons can do that.

And a play-caller who knows how to build an offensive attack within the game by calling plays that set up later plays also helps. And so does that play-caller’s willingness to throw deep on first down, usually off of play-action. On first down, defenses are simple and predictable. The pass rush is less of a factor, which is big for Goff, as his footwork and poise under pressure remain a work in progress.

McVay did all of this for Kirk Cousins in Washington. Goff is a more talented version of Cousins. Though he’s not as big a risk-taker as Cousins, he’ll have ups and downs like Cousins does. We still have to see how Goff performs when his pass-blockers struggle.

Against San Francisco, the Rams’ blockers were facing a defensive line that, just five days earlier, had endured 82 snaps at Seattle. Before the Rams’ Week 8 bye, they’ll face the Seahawks, Jaguars and Cardinals. Bigger challenges await. But we can expect Goff to be up for it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man you can't give the kid any credit can you ?

You're so stuck in your "I know football" narrative ... that hole your digging a little too deep climb out ?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man you can't give the kid any credit can you ?

You're so stuck in your "I know football" narrative ... that hole your digging a little too deep climb out ?
I wondering where do you see...in anything I have said after the game...that I gave him NO CREDIT? You're so stuck in your, whatever this LA Champ guy writes, I HAVE to respond.....
So were clear...He played a good game...I have noticed an adjustment in this game...looking off defenders....he still has work, but it appears he's getting MUCH better...

I still would like to see this type of performance against a good team....but I am hopeful....Hell, almost confident, he'll do pretty well.

Sorry if the "I know football" narrative bothers you so much.

I do know football.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wondering where do you see...in anything I have said after the game...that I gave him NO CREDIT? You're so stuck in your, whatever this LA Champ guy writes, I HAVE to respond.....
So were clear...He played a good game...I have noticed an adjustment in this game...looking off defenders....he still has work, but it appears he's getting MUCH better...

I still would like to see this type of performance against a good team....but I am hopeful....Hell, almost confident, he'll do pretty well.

Sorry if the "I know football" narrative bothers you so much.

I do know football.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say where people keep questioning you on is you never come out and just say he's good or done good. You always feel the need to qualify things or hedge his improvements. Yet at the same time you come out and talk about how good guys like GRob or Quick are and we've seen so much evidence to the contrary. So we see you hesitant to support a guy who's leading our offense and doing a great job doing it while at the same time you don't hesitate to endorse Robinson who most people would just as soon forget ever wore the horns. I'm just guessing but I have a feeling this is a lot of the issue.