MMQB: The 12 most problematic roster holes -Rams -Free Safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
haha, praying mantis.

zzzzzzing!!

Colin+Kaepernick+San+Francisco+49ers+v+Denver+IYBDWUIjggUl.jpg

th0U7S79FW.jpg

Separated at birth?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The one area where I think Fisher should not be questioned is his assessment of defensive backs. I trust him completely when it comes to DBs. Add in Gregg Williams and I'm not worried about this at all. They know what they're doing and if there is a drop off in talent at starting FS then they'll figure out a way to overcome that.

Personally I'd like to see Cody Davis get a real shot at winning the spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The one area where I think Fisher should not be questioned is his assessment of defensive backs. I trust him completely when it comes to DBs. Add in Gregg Williams and I'm not worried about this at all. They know what they're doing and if there is a drop off in talent at starting FS then they'll figure out a way to overcome that.

Personally I'd like to see Cody Davis get a real shot at winning the spot.
Yes I agree with this in the strongest terms....:cheers:

Fisher & Williams are as good as there is in the NFL in this are of alleged concern. I could make the argument that spending a 3rd & 4th round draft selection on a safeties was way out of the norm for them. A true luxury waste of Ram team assets that could have went to the OL back in 2013 & 2014 draft.

That both of them are good enough to be able continue with Rodney McLeod & Cody Davis UDFA types or Christian Bryant late 3rd day draft types and the safety posts would be fine. Where none of that can be said about their ability to coach up the same type of players on the OL side.

I can still recall back in 2012 where both Fisher & Snead proclaimed (my worded interpretation) that CB's rule early in the draft & safeties will just drool on as real late after thoughts.:shades:

As far as the Cody Davis discussion as a starter with TJ McDonald or Mo Alexander @ SS......Yes Cody is no where as physical in the area of hitting or as capable of a big hit as the two already mentioned large big safeties but he has several things they do not have in their back packs....first Cody has very good hands, has proven over & over & over in many Ram Mini camps-OTA- & training Camps that he is a natural free deep safety.

One problem I believe we suffer from is a limited sample size of Cody to operate from when looking deep into this contested vacated post. Here's what I know.....Cody is a very good Leaper who challenges the high-point. We also know his has the best speed of all DB's with excellent straight line speed to play rangy center field. Do you not think that those real good natural traits usually win out sooner or later?

What many of us has seen on occasion.....is Cody hesitates to fire downhill after the run or catch. Cody has at time shown early that he did have technique breakdowns as a tackler. Thus causing many here to question Cody's Instincts. It has some merit.

When Cody got here as a UDFA in 2013 & made the 53 player roster, we all knew that he needed a ton of time on the bench to watch and learn early on. I did not think he needed all of what he got. That's when he watched Rodney not miss a game for 3 full seasons. IMO Cody was ready to start but there simply was no opportunity. Then there's Gregg heavy use of corners in his Nickel & dime defense's & more ....Gregg favors the "Big Safety Packages" too as of late. None of which includes the use of Cody. IMO it gives a false opinion (not positive) of Cody's real worth.

Thing to keep in your mind here...Rams just resigned Cody with a nice pay increase for 2 years. They did that knowing they have both Mo,TJ & Lamarcus Joyner all fully capable of starting. They also had safety CB Bryant (who suffers with some lack of size issues length of arms, very small hands plus is 4 inches shorter than Cody) barking at his ankles too. Cody will get his chance to compete fully for this vacated safety post. I do not think we will be disappointed in what we see from Cody.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam

all great points....that damn contract....and man do I like Brian Randolph....I'd guess the 5 safeties to be TJ, Mo, Cody, Christian, and Brian....
I wouldn't sleep on Rohan Gaines either...a lil slow for my tastes...but ferocious hitter.

Cody is a pick magnet....coachO said as much....I still have no faith in his tackling...every one of our safeties, besides Cody is a hitter. I had read as far back as 2013 or 2014 Cody was a beastly hitter. I still haven't seen it. I don't think he'll get on the field, unless an injury occurs, until he comes up forcefully and delivers a blow....Not on a wr mind you...A running back.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/22/nfl-rosters-cleveland-browns-los-angeles-rams
If the Rams want to go with experience here, they could slide rising young strong safety T.J. McDonald to centerfield and insert Mo Alexander in McDonald’s old place. Still, however it shakes out, the Rams are looking at less security on the back end. Besides leaving them vulnerable in coverage, it could cause Williams to scale back his scheme.

Does a shark scale back a feedin frenzy because of mising tooth or two?
Williams ain't scaling back Jack Shiznik.