MMQB: Scouting the Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/28/nfl-los-angeles-rams-2016-preview-scouting-report-jared-goff

jared-goff-rams-practice-433.jpg

Photo: Mark J. Terrill/AP

Scouting Los Angeles: Let Goff Play
Unless the Rams think their O-line puts Goff in harm’s way, the rookie should be under center Week 1. Plus, what makes Gurley great, the crucial element Tavon Austin brings, and the best front four in football
by Andy Benoit

1. The only reason to sit Jared Goff as a rookie is if the Rams think he could get permanently damaged (physically or mentally) playing behind what’s been a porous offensive line. Los Angeles’s other quarterback, Case Keenum, isn’t a guy a team can tread water with. He is small and limited in arm.

Goff played as a freshman at Cal and took a lot of lumps. He’d tell you now that experience benefited him in the long haul. People fear a repeat of Tim Couch or David Carr when it comes to No. 1 drafted quarterbacks being battered as rookies. But remember, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms and Andrew Luck also fall into this category.

2. Left tackle Greg Robinson is the Biggest NFL Bust That Nobody Talks About. Robinson struggles mightily with his anchor in pass protection. When a 6-5, 332-pounder can’t hold ground, you know his technique is flawed. The Rams are razor thin at tackle and so Robinson’s job is secure this year. But if he doesn’t polish up, it won’t be next year.

3. Todd Gurley has the subtlest change of direction ability you’ll ever see. It’s so smooth and natural that it’s hard to notice. This allows Gurley to slither through small cracks and also maximize the blocks he sets up. Remarkably, it doesn’t compromise his power, either. The 227-pounder consistently finishes runs with authority.

4. Without Tavon Austin, the Rams offense would be completely flavorless. The Rams are a run-based team with a below average O-line. They’re bereft of playmakers at wide receiver and tight end, and so their passing game must be highly schemed, with guys getting open through route combinations and play-action.

Their quarterback will likely be either untested (Goff) or untalented (Keenum). It’s an awful combination for first-time coordinator Rob Boras to deal with. The saving grace is Austin’s ability to threaten defenses horizontally and vertically. The Rams do a good job of leveraging this, be it either directly (Austin’s touches) or indirectly (his decoy action on ghost reverse action and fake handoffs or screens).

5. Los Angeles’s D boasts the best front four in football. You know about Aaron Donald, the game’s most explosive defensive tackle. Robert Quinn, when healthy, is the speediest, most pliable edge rushing end in the league. And then there’s the overlooked Michael Brockers, who does all the dirty work. His phone booth strength is matched only by his initial get-off, which is tremendous.

6. Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is very committed to having a high volume, complex system. Most schemers with a dominant front four would just play 4-3 zone and hope to force sacks and turnovers. But Williams deploys a variety of different fronts, including a lot of “odd” fronts out of dime, with Donald (and sometimes Brockers) serving as what amounts to a pass rushing nose tackle.

On the back end, Williams likes to rotate coverages and bring disguised blitzers from the second and third levels. There’s a debate to be had about whether all this is worth the trouble; when you’re complex, your players have more mental rigors to handle. But Williams, with this M.O., has had a lot of success over the years, including a Super Bowl title with the ’09 Saints.

That Saints D had some limitations in the secondary that Williams hid with by blitzing. You can expect to see more of that from Williams here; the Rams secondary is not as strong as it was a year ago.

7. The biggest reason the above statement is true is the loss of centerfielder Rodney McLeod (to Philadelphia in free agency). His departure created the most glaring new hole in any NFL roster this past offseason.

8. The Rams were wise to choose cornerback Trumaine Johnson (franchise tagged) over Janoris Jenkins (now a Giant). Johnson’s the more reliable person and player. He’s become very good at squatting on routes to break on balls. Jenkins was that way, too, only with more vacillating results. Johnson can also play man coverage against bigger wide receivers—which isn’t true of many cornerbacks. In Week 14 last season he shutdown Calvin Johnson. Expect Trumaine Johnson to travel with opposing No. 1 receivers this year.

9. The loss of James Laurinaitis will hurt if freakishly athletic fourth-year pro Alec Ogletree can’t play with awareness and patience at his new Mike position. Ogletree showed encouraging growth in this realm last season before fracturing his fibula in Week 4. Where Laurinaitis (now a Saint) was most valuable was in the pre-snap phase, calling checks and audibles.

10. There’s no evidence on film that the Rams D plays dirty. They’re just atypical because their defensive backs hit hard—including in the open field.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
10. There’s no evidence on film that the Rams D plays dirty. They’re just atypical because their defensive backs hit hard—including in the open field.

Thank you. Glad someone realized that hard hitting doesn't automatically equate to playing dirty.

Good read overall.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Maybe I'm being a homer. I'm sure these "expert" know more than I do. But I never saw in McLeod what these guys saw. IMO, it isn't that hard to replace a guy like that. And I keep hearing how bad the offensive line is. They were a league best in sacks allowed and middle of the pack in other categories like hurries and hits. How is that terrible? Plus, they were very young with mostly first and second year players. Is it unreasonable to expect improvement?

I have a feeling a lot of these writers are suffering from tunnel vision. They remember past years and assume its the same. The line got better as the year progressed. Our quarterback got worse until he was replaced. That position is what held us back from a winning season.

Psycho_X

Legend
This was actually one of the better assessments I've read about the Rams so far. Could have done a little more about the rest of the o-line besides just the hope of Robinson finally figuring it out but nothing he said was untrue really. And like mentioned, him dismissing the "dirty" play was refreshing to see.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And I keep hearing how bad the offensive line is. They were a league best in sacks allowed and middle of the pack in other categories like hurries and hits. How is that terrible?

Exactly.

I have a feeling a lot of these writers are suffering from tunnel vision. They remember past years and assume its the same.

They want a paycheck so they have to write something about the team, so they revert back to their impressions of years past because they have nothing else to write about. On the one hand I don't blame them because until training camp opens, there's not much to analyze, OTOH every article written needs to be taken with a grain of salt until the team has had a few pre-season games under their belt.

Here's something else that's a bit perplexing...

Left tackle Greg Robinson is the Biggest NFL Bust That Nobody Talks About

I can think of quite a few other players that would better fit this statement.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Here's something else that's a bit perplexing...

I can think of quite a few other players that would better fit this statement.

Year 3 is when the light goes on for a lot of players. Seemed like it turned on for Tavon last year. Quick in year 3. Well, his burned out again, but you get my drift.

GRob has talent, no doubt about that. But he also seems to have a good work ethic. He's been working hard this offseason to improve his craft. Combine talent and work ethic and there's no reason he can't live up to expectations. I remember our last lineman taken number two overall. I know people have that in the back of their minds but Jason Smith did not have the work ethic GRob has.

Psycho_X

Legend
Maybe I'm being a homer. I'm sure these "expert" know more than I do. But I never saw in McLeod what these guys saw. IMO, it isn't that hard to replace a guy like that. And I keep hearing how bad the offensive line is. They were a league best in sacks allowed and middle of the pack in other categories like hurries and hits. How is that terrible? Plus, they were very young with mostly first and second year players. Is it unreasonable to expect improvement?

I have a feeling a lot of these writers are suffering from tunnel vision. They remember past years and assume its the same. The line got better as the year progressed. Our quarterback got worse until he was replaced. That position is what held us back from a winning season.

Yes they were low in sacks but we were almost dead last in pass attempts and asked our QBs to throw quickly most of the time. However, if you look at hits allowed by the offensive line compared to the number of pass attempts we had we are actually at the bottom of the NFL. Our o-line allowed our QBs to get hit 20% of the time they dropped back according to nfl.com stats.

Now I think our o-line did get better and he doesn't mention that we were very banged up last season. So I expect it to be better. But the illusion that our o-line was great just because of sack numbers doesn't hold up. I think the biggest problem our o-line needs to clean up is the devastating hits we allowed last season. Our QBs just got absolutely drilled at full speed way too much last season. It had obvious effects on Nick Foles after that GB game and thinking about Keenum's concussion that he got at Baltimore.

Rank Team Attempts Hits Allowed % hit per pass attempt
1 Pittsburgh Steelers 590 60 0.10
2 Oakland Raiders 605 64 0.11
27 Indianapolis Colts 619 118 0.19
28 St. Louis Rams 473 95 0.20
29 Cleveland Browns 609 123 0.20
30 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 535 109 0.20
31 Minnesota Vikings 454 96 0.21
32 Seattle Seahawks 489 114 0.23

Edit: not sure why the formatting didn't stay for the table above. I even spaced it all out by hand in the post and it still bunched it all up together. oh well.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Keenum having no talent was a bit harsh. I think he played admirable. Better then I expected him to play. The o line is a lot better then he gave credit for. But he didn't use stats, so I doubt he even knows them.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yes they were low in sacks but we were almost dead last in pass attempts and asked our QBs to throw quickly most of the time. However, if you look at hits allowed by the offensive line compared to the number of pass attempts we had we are actually at the bottom of the NFL. Our o-line allowed our QBs to get hit 20% of the time they dropped back according to nfl.com stats.

Now I think our o-line did get better and he doesn't mention that we were very banged up last season. So I expect it to be better. But the illusion that our o-line was great just because of sack numbers doesn't hold up. I think the biggest problem our o-line needs to clean up is the devastating hits we allowed last season. Our QBs just got absolutely drilled at full speed way too much last season. It had obvious effects on Nick Foles after that GB game and thinking about Keenum's concussion that he got at Baltimore.

Rank Team Attempts Hits Allowed % hit per pass attempt
1 Pittsburgh Steelers 590 60 0.10
2 Oakland Raiders 605 64 0.11
27 Indianapolis Colts 619 118 0.19
28 St. Louis Rams 473 95 0.20
29 Cleveland Browns 609 123 0.20
30 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 535 109 0.20
31 Minnesota Vikings 454 96 0.21
32 Seattle Seahawks 489 114 0.23

Edit: not sure why the formatting didn't stay for the table above. I even spaced it all out by hand in the post and it still bunched it all up together. oh well.

Interesting how the two teams at the bottom were playoff teams. Just goes to show there's more than just the stats. Gotta make the plays when you ain't getting hit. Rams QB's did not make enough plays.

Psycho_X

Legend
Interesting how the two teams at the bottom were playoff teams. Just goes to show there's more than just the stats. Gotta make the plays when you ain't getting hit. Rams QB's did not make enough plays.

That is true, we certainly need better QB play that isn't deniable. But the Vikings and Seahawks had some of the worst pass protection o-lines in the NFL last season and is one of their main weaknesses. Not two teams we want to be grouped with in this case unfortunately. But we were very young and we have extremely promising players in Havenstein and Brown. Hopefully GRob's extra work in the offseason pays off. We could have a great o-line depending on growth.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This was actually one of the better assessments I've read about the Rams so far. Could have done a little more about the rest of the o-line besides just the hope of Robinson finally figuring it out but nothing he said was untrue really. And like mentioned, him dismissing the "dirty" play was refreshing to see.

It was pretty good on the defensive side, except for overstating the loss of McLeod. How is his loss the biggest roster void in the entire league? He was not a great coverage safety. The Rams deep safety is just a big play preventer. They can replace McLeod with one of 4 guys on the roster with a small learning curve.

On offensive line this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. He says how bad GRob is but apparently doesn't know about his off-season work with Bentley. Plus GRob had enough good play's to keep the coaches opptimistic that he will become the guy they thought he could. GRob was incredibly raw when drafted. Slow progress should be expected. Plus, how are they razor thin at tackle? Williams, Battle, Saffold, and Reynolds could all play OLT. Williams looked good in pre-season, and Saffold used to play OLT. That is not razor thin. Havenstein was a very good rookie and Wichman played well. Reynolds is a good back-up too. I think that the youth on the line is a plus and they will improve with a full offseason under their belts.

Psycho_X

Legend
It was pretty good on the defensive side, except for overstating the loss of McLeod. How is his loss the biggest roster void in the entire league? He was not a great coverage safety. The Rams deep safety is just a big play preventer. They can replace McLeod with one of 4 guys on the roster with a small learning curve.

On offensive line this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. He says how bad GRob is but apparently doesn't know about his off-season work with Bentley. Plus GRob had enough good play's to keep the coaches opptimistic that he will become the guy they thought he could. GRob was incredibly raw when drafted. Slow progress should be expected. Plus, how are they razor thin at tackle? Williams, Battle, Saffold, and Reynolds could all play OLT. Williams looked good in pre-season, and Saffold used to play OLT. That is not razor thin. Havenstein was a very good rookie and Wichman played well. Reynolds is a good back-up too. I think that the youth on the line is a plus and they will improve with a full offseason under their belts.

I'm still worried about replacing McLeod but I have confidence that Williams can scheme around any weaknesses we might have on defense. It might bite us a few times though. Hopefully one of the many safety prospects we have step up.

And yeah his o-line section he could have spent more detail on. I'm less worried about our o-line depth than I have been in a long time. GRob has put in the time for sure and I can't blame his commitment on anything but I still need him to prove he can be a good LT over 16 games to me. I am very high on Hav though and I like the potential of Brown. Brown's injury was one of the more devastating to me last season just because of how dominating I think he can be with experience. Looking forward to the young line growing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm still worried about replacing McLeod but I have confidence that Williams can scheme around any weaknesses we might have on defense. It might bite us a few times though. Hopefully one of the many safety prospects we have step up.

And yeah his o-line section he could have spent more detail on. I'm less worried about our o-line depth than I have been in a long time. GRob has put in the time for sure and I can't blame his commitment on anything but I still need him to prove he can be a good LT over 16 games to me. I am very high on Hav though and I like the potential of Brown. Brown's injury was one of the more devastating to me last season just because of how dominating I think he can be with experience. Looking forward to the young line growing.

I'm more worried about replacing Jenkins. But not to the point where I think the position will suffer. We have some very capable players to fill the void. Some people liked McLeod. I never thought he was all that. I thought he was a JAG who benefited from a good overall defense that could pressure a QB and make his job easier. I still think we'll be able to replace him with what we have on the roster. Philly doesn't have the same defense. I have to wonder if he won't be exposed.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While Greg Robinson has not lived up to the talent hype that made him a #2 overall pick, he improved the last few games last season and is an ascending player. Shouldn't national writers be forced to actually watch tape before they are allowed to claim "BIGGEST NFL BUST"? What exactly is the definition of libel in sports writing?

Mark Sanchez (Mr Butt Fumble) now QB's the Broncos but undrafted Rodney McLeod (who similar sports writers claimed for years played a position that needed to be upgraded in every draft) left the most glaring hole on any roster? I realize I shouldn't expect him to know much about Christian Bryant, Cody Davis, and Mo Alexander... Well...unless he wishes to claim "most glaring new hole in ANY NFL roster. All of the potential replacements have three years experience in this defense and McLeod's knowledge (not his athleticism) was his strong suit). Davis is faster, Alexander more athletic, and Bryant more a leader at Ohio State before his injury. Again, is research even required to hold this man's job as a sports writer?

His assessment of Gregg Williams is more measured. Great talent made Jim Hasletr seem like a genius with the Saints but he was exposed here and in D.C. Gregg is a similar gambler who also coordinated the same three clubs but with better results. But his schemes against the Redskins, Steelers, and Bengals were atrocious as he was badly outcoached. Fortunately, he acquits himself nicely against the NFC West. Then again, having the best DLine in football wreaking havoc on terrible Olines in Phoenix and Seattle could make even me seem like a competent game planner.

As far as dirty play goes, we DO have players who get out of control at times. Williams preaches aggression and sometimes it gets out of hand. Fisher embraces the same mindset. Publicly they hold the party line of "let's play by the rules, gentlemen" but privately they are generals who command a war of attrition. They let the dogs bark and look forward to their bite. Hey, it's F'ing football. Unless it produces a flag, I concur and hope 31 teams hate to play us.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another writer bashing GRob. He should know that he played LT for Auburn, where they throw the ball maybe five times a year. They don't teach pass blocking there He was thrown into the LT position because Jake Long and Saffold went down and had to learn on the fly. He should be praised for how well he did given the experience he came in with. Rams knew it would take 3 years for him to come up to speed. His last five games he did well. No penalties, no sacks given up and he picked up the blitzer. GRob will be fine.