MMQB: Peter King - "The Rams are going to be hell to play"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is an excerpt. If you want to read the entire article, click this link or the one in the title. My favorite quote: "10. St. Louis. Might not show up in the record, but the Rams are going to be hell to play, and they’ll be a playoff team if Sam Bradford plays the way he was drafted to play."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bills-story.jpg

Bill Wippert/AP

Welcome to Camp Hope
Five months after the Super Bowl ended, football is finally back ... well, sorta. Training camps are getting started this week, and optimism is high in all 32 locales—including Buffalo, where playoffs have only been a rumor since 1999
By Peter King

PITTSFORD, N.Y. — Sunday night was precisely what the NFL wants out of the preseason. The night of the first practice of the NFL summer simply couldn’t have gone better. Hope was for sale everywhere on the St. John Fisher campus here, the same way it will be in 31 other camps starting with the Giants today in New Jersey, and there were thousands of consumers, happy to buy that hope.

sammy-watkins.jpg

The Bills traded up five spots in the first round to draft wide receiver Sammy Watkins. (Bill Wippert/AP)

Speaking of Sammy Watkins, he’s the belle of the football here. They love him. And they love GM Doug Whaley for overpaying to move up to get Watkins in the first round last May. To move up five spots in the first round, from nine to four, Whaley paid next year’s first-round and fourth-round picks to Cleveland. “Hey Whaley!’’ a fan yelled. “Thank you for Watkins!” On night one, Watkins was as electric as advertised. Especially interesting was the way he got off jams at the line. He juked lightning-quick on some snaps, and powered into unsuspecting corners on others. “You can never let cornerbacks read you,’’ he said later.

The Fine 15, Pre-Camp Edition

Now this is odd. A Fine 15 some 46 days before the season starts. But there’s nothing like a little controversy to sell papers.

1. Seattle. I like the approach of the coach and the defense (“We’re going to win again, and we don’t care who knows it”) and, from being with Russell Wilson a bit this offseason, I know his approach. He’ll enter camp this week thinking he’s got to beat out Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job.

2. Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers has his weapons and his health, and the schedule’s friendly post-Sept. 4, with the Bills, Jets, Dolphins out of conference on the docket.

3. San Francisco. If I trusted Colin Kaepernick as much as I trust Russell Wilson, 1 and 3 would be reversed.

4. New Orleans. The rich get obscenely richer, and Brandin Cooks wins offensive rookie of the year, and the defense stays stout. Need to survive the schedule: three of the first away, three of the last five away.

5. Indianapolis. I’m buying the Luck hype, plus he gets back one of the great young tight ends in the game—Dwayne Allen. Colts will score loads of points, and could go 6-0 in the AFC South.

6. Denver. Having a hard time getting That Game out of my head.

7. New England. Good chance to start 7-0 before a pretty rough six-game stretch (Chicago, Denver, at Indy, Detroit, at Green Bay, at San Diego).

8. Philadelphia. Chip Kelly, with a year to study. That’s dangerous. Also think Nick Foles wasn’t a fluke.

9. Chicago. Marc Trestman’s acing chemistry class. He’s got Jay Cutler kumbaya-ing in the cafeteria at Halas Hall. And who’s covering those Olajuwon-sized receivers and tight end Martellus Bennett?

10. St. Louis. Might not show up in the record, but the Rams are going to be hell to play, and they’ll be a playoff team if Sam Bradford plays the way he was drafted to play.

11. Arizona. Might not show up in the record, but the Cards are going to be hell to play, and they’ll be a playoff team if Carson Palmer plays close to the way he played in his prime.

12. San Diego. So impressed with the jobs Tom Telesco and Mike McCoy did last year. That’s a tough D to play, and an explosive offense.

13. Cincinnati. Deep and talented, but let me be the 4,672nd guru to say in the last six months, “It all comes down to Dalton.”

14. Carolina. I’d feel better about the Panthers’ chances if the receivers all weren’t told to come to training camp this week wearing name tags.

15. Baltimore. A few too many questions on defense for my liking, particularly rushing the passer.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Nice, 10 is the highest I've seen the Rams ranked so far. Quite possible. Love seeing them ranked over good teams like Carolina and the Chargers.

Irish

Starter
I love the optimism, but if Sam played the way he was drafted to play (you know, Heisman trophy winner, 1st overall pick) the Rams would've made the playoffs by now with him at QB.
At this point, if he is just serviceable, maybe ranking in the top 11-15 by season's end, we would all be happy campers.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I love the optimism, but if Sam played the way he was drafted to play (you know, Heisman trophy winner, 1st overall pick) the Rams would've made the playoffs by now with him at QB.
At this point, if he is just serviceable, maybe ranking in the top 11-15 by season's end, we would all be happy campers.

SO SHOW SOME

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
ONE THING I THINK I THINK:
Since Peter King makes reference in every column now about the "right side" of things among them the Washington Redskins name,it's time for Dan Snyder to issue this statement.

"My football team ,began it's existence in Duluth Minnesota ,named for aboriginal Americans, The Eskimos, it was then moved to Boston and was renamed in tribute to another American aboriginal term "The Braves".
Once again the team moved to a new stadium this time and was again given a tribute name "The Redskins".
The next move we didn't change names and became the Washington Redskins.
I can assure anyone concerned that any future name change will only be accompanied by another move and the new name will be another tribute name ,some have suggested we move to LA and rename the team the Aztecs.
For those busy politicians who've found the time to concern themselves with the name of this team when SO MANY daunting problems face our nation, let me just say your support for a renaming of this team will in the future be irrevocably tied to moving the team out of this area as well,for I have decided my dead body was extreme ,moving would be preferable.
Any fans who have a position on this I encourage you to write your Senators and tell them how you stand."

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Serviceable is about 15-25. 11-15 with this group of unproven pass catchers would be a good season for SB. As for the playoffs, QBs are not starting pitchers. Got about 52 other guys that share the blame.

Greg Stone

Rookie
He ranks all four NFC West teams in his top 11. Wouldn't that be a hoot if they all go to the playoffs.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
@Prime Time : Off Topic Question.

Did you have to do much reformatting of that article when you pasted it here, or did you simply copy and paste? For example, there's quite a bit of spacing between each line, which is how it displays in the original article. Did that formatting simply transfer over? Thanks.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
The years of futility have made me bitter, friend.

Something, something, Missouri. Something, something, Show me state.
But you just said you "loved " the optimism ,I encourage you to adopt your love,cuz it doesn't cost any more, thatsall

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Prime Time : Off Topic Question.

Did you have to do much reformatting of that article when you pasted it here, or did you simply copy and paste? For example, there's quite a bit of spacing between each line, which is how it displays in the original article. Did that formatting simply transfer over? Thanks.

There are a few names in blue that bleed over into the next word and need spacing. The spaces between the headlines and the pics have to be added as well or else it will not look as good. Some authors use run-on sentences and seem to like long paragraphs, so that gets corrected as well. I was a journalism student at San Jose State and how an article looks to the reader matters to me. All my corrections go well with my OCD personality. ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We're getting the Peter King bump?

Damn, now we're totally boned.

:p
He's been on us for 2 years now, ever since he sat in our war room...Pretty sure Cleveland will be the hot team next, they have 2 first round picks again next year

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
He's been on us for 2 years now, ever since he sat in our war room...Pretty sure Cleveland will be the hot team next, they have 2 first round picks again next year

I vaguely remember that last year - I think it's safe to assume that we can attribute last year's struggles solely to his positive outlook on the team.

Can someone write an email to him asking him to say we suck?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I vaguely remember that last year - I think it's safe to assume that we can attribute last year's struggles solely to his positive outlook on the team.

Can someone write an email to him asking him to say we suck?

Not here at ROD but I'm sure many at RamsTalk would gladly do that and mean it.

"Dear Peter King - I would like to remain anonymous but assure you that I'm one of many here at RamsTalk who believe that the St. Louis Rams suck(especially Sam Bradford). How you can possibly believe that 'the Rams are going to be hell to play' leads us to believe that you either consumed many alcoholic beverages and/or psychedelic mushrooms while on vacation, or have been swilling the kool-aid with the homers over at ROD. Please stop!

Signed, the boys at RamsTalk"

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Sam if he plays like a top 10 Qb no doubt Rams can be a play off team. My biggest issue is the offensive coordinator on the team. Schott is not very creative on offensive.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sam if he plays like a top 10 Qb no doubt Rams can be a play off team. My biggest issue is the offensive coordinator on the team. Schott is not very creative on offensive.
I'm not as hard on Shotty as many others are.
I saw some pretty cool plays last year missed to dropped balls and poor pass protection .

Also, Shottys' last 2 jobs have been with coaches with a ground and pound mentality

I think he'll do fine.

When Martz was in Chicago, he didn't look like a genius without all the cool toys and solid o line he had in STL.