MMQB: Peter King - 8/18/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
levis-story.jpg

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Silicon Valley Victory
The 49ers debut their new digs, and establish a new status quo in the NFL. Plus, Blake Bortles makes things difficult in Jacksonville, a look inside the growing penalty problem and more notes from Week 2 of the preseason
By Peter King
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one Rams mention. To read the rest of the article click the link.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think if you’re wondering about the Rams’ involvement in the local story, wonder no more. Klemko has uncovered that the Rams paid for buses to take high school football players from the stricken area to the preseason game against Green Bay on Saturday. He filed this to me Sunday, and he’ll have more in a story on our site this week:

Watching the violence over Michael Brown’s killing unfold in Ferguson last week, a Rams staffer thought of the high schoolers, specifically, the boys who are supposed to play in their first football game of the season this weekend. Rams manager of fan development & alumni relations Kyle Eversgerd put in a call to coaches at McCluer High, McCluer North and McCluer South; there would be 75 free tickets awaiting each team if they chose to come to Saturday’s preseason game at the Edward Jones Dome.

“In light of everything going on it just kind of hit me,” says Eversgerd, whose job includes outreach with local high schools. “I can’t imagine with all that stuff going on, how tough it must be to practice. We were able to get them away from it all.”

So as hundreds of protesters faced off with police on the now-infamous West Florissant Avenue on Saturday night in Ferguson, leaving a man critically-wounded by gunfire just yards from the homes of area children, the boys from three local teams were nowhere to be found. Many of them were at their first NFL game, watching Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford from the 400 level. Said McCluer coach Mario McDonald, “Our kids are focused on this season, but I worry about them out here, to be honest.”

At McCluer, McDonald estimates more than 75% of his roster comes from single-parent homes, and most would not have been able to otherwise afford tickets that average about $100. The game was a welcome distraction; many McCluer players are angry with police and inclined to protest after Michael Brown’s shooting death here a week ago. On the bus ride to the game, players saw protesters on Florissant and started chanting, “Hands Up! Don’t Shoot!”

Then they focused on football.

“It was overwhelming to see the NFL live, for real,” said senior running back Henry Jones, “You saw how fast they played, and how they played together. I’ve been thinking about it ever since. I could actually see myself out there playing.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The NFL says it won’t compromise on officiating.

“Points of emphasis” are the three dirty words for defensive players around the league after two weeks of preseason games. But don’t expect the crackdown on defensive clutching and grabbing by the league’s 17 crews to soften once the real games begin in 17 days, league vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said Sunday afternoon.

“We’re not going to change how we’re calling the games once the regular season starts,’’ Blandino told The MMQB.

That despite the epidemic of flags over the weekend, the second straight preseason weekend with heavy-handedness by the officials. Comparing accepted penalties in last season’s average game with the first two weeks of 2014 preseason football (not including Monday night’s Cleveland-Washington game):

Penalties Per Game............................Penalty Yardage Per Game
Average game, 2013 season.............
2014 Preseason Week 1.....................17.7145.3
2014 Preseason Week 2.....................20.8174.4

“The way the game’s being officiated now is the way it’s going to be officiated when the season begins,” Blandino said from his office in New York. “We have to remain consistent. I knew we’d see a spike in calls when we put out these points of emphasis. But coaches adjust, and players adjust. They have to, and they know it. And we’ll correct our officials when we feel they’re being over-zealous with certain calls.

“Plus, I would say that between 70 and 75 percent of the calls I’ve gotten from teams after their games this preseason are asking the question, Why weren’t there more calls? I had a call today from a team with seven questions, and six were, Why wasn’t a foul called on this play?”

Some background: The NFL’s Competition Committee felt after last season there was too much grabbing and hand-fighting between defenders and receivers beyond the five-yard bump zone past the line of scrimmage. So the committee told the officiating department to emphasize two defensive penalties—defensive holding (grabbing jerseys and arms to throw receivers off course) and illegal contact more than five yards beyond the line—the kind of purposeful bumping beyond incidental contact that’s become a regular part of pass defense. (In addition, the committee ordered more attention paid to illegal hands to the face, which most often occurs between offensive and defensive linemen. In the past, if a tackle was sparring with a defensive end and his hand scraped the helmet of the defender, the officials would let it go; officials would flag only prolonged contact to the face. Now officials have been told to call any contact of a hand to the face.)

The league is determined to cut down the amount of sparring beyond the five-yard bump zone. “The jersey-grabbing and holding downfield, especially,” cornerback Joe Haden of the Browns told me the other day. “That’s what they’ve emphasized to us.”

“He’s dead on,” said Blandino. “You can’t grab the jersey of a receiver anymore.”

Interesting upshot of this: One assistant coach said recently that if he were advising the receivers on his team, he’d tell them to wear loose, Triple-XL jerseys, to make it easier for defenders to grab. His theory was, why not try to attract penalties if the officials are going to be looking so hard to find the jersey-grabs?

The one team that’s hammered the point home effectively through two weeks of games is St. Louis. The Rams have their defensive backs practicing in pass coverage while holding two tennis balls, to limit the temptation to hold receivers’ jerseys and to grab their arms beyond the five-yard bump zone. In two games the Rams have zero defensive pass interference penalties, zero illegal-contact penalties, and two defensive holding penalties on defensive backs—both by rookie nickel back LaMarcus Joyner.

I asked Blandino if the league could take games with nine more flags, on the average, over last season—if this weekend’s pace held. Of course, there’s no guarantee it will. Blandino said last year’s numbers are a bit misleading, because they were relatively low compared to previous years. Thus, the theory goes, defenders were getting away with too many infractions that should have been called but weren’t, because officials were letting too much contact go. “I believe that once you see the players adjust, you won’t see this exhorbitant number of calls,” he said. “Downfield contact was underofficiated last year.”

Coaches know they have to bang it into their players’ heads in the next two weeks. “It’s been a point of emphasis coming into the season,” said Colts coach Chuck Pagano. “We’ve been harping on it in the whole offseason program, OTAs, minicamp, and all through training camp. You can kind of see where the weekend’s going, including our game, as far as the emphasis on illegal contact, offensive pass interference, defensive pass interference, holding, all those things in the back end. You’re allowed five yards, and then after five yards you’ve got to get off guys and you can’t have contact. We’ve got to do a better job coaching it.”

Agreed, but however it’s coached, the game’s not going to be as good if, as we just saw this weekend, there are nine more flags, and nine more stoppages of play, in the average NFL game once the real games start.

Fifteen minutes. Twenty flags. That was the second quarter of the Tennessee-New Orleans game Friday night. The flag-happy crews in the first two weeks of the preseason leave fans everywhere wondering: Is this what 2014 football is really going to look like? If so, is there a Rugby Channel on TV this fall?

There were 32 accepted penalties for 295 yards at the Superdome on Friday. The football was most unwatchable during a three-minute span of the second quarter, when the teams ran 10 plays that counted and there were 11 penalties called. (Two plays were erased by penalty, meaning that 12 plays were actually run, but only 10 counted.).

Net yards gained in 3 minutes: 56.
Yards penalized in 3 minutes: 88.

I have said all along that the calls made in Week 2 of the preseason could well be different than the calls made on Week 1 of the regular season. We’ll see.

P. Schrager ✔ @PSchrags

The NFL. The 'nother flag league.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Id rather not see all these flags but if there gonna throw them they damn well better throw them both ways!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I was about to say that this looks completely wrong, so I looked at the article and copied the table.

tB9KF0O.png

Now it makes sense. lol. And it's as I feared. Penalties are going to get out of hand this year. And I know the players shouldn't be committing them, but this is a violent game that goes 100 MPH. By adding more scrutiny for penalties like "hands to the face" and grabbing a jersey, these games are going to end up pissing me off with the yellow graphic popping up on the screen after every play.

I'm also aware it helps to put the clamps on Seattle's style of play, but I fear the trade-off is gonna be maddening.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I was about to say that this looks completely wrong, so I looked at the article and copied the table.

tB9KF0O.png

Now it makes sense. lol. And it's as I feared. Penalties are going to get out of hand this year. And I know the players shouldn't be committing them, but this is a violent game that goes 100 MPH. By adding more scrutiny for penalties like "hands to the face" and grabbing a jersey, these games are going to end up pissing me off with the yellow graphic popping up on the screen after every play.

I'm also aware it helps to put the clamps on Seattle's style of play, but I fear the trade-off is gonna be maddening.

As long as we move on from the blocks in the back, and holding on returns...i'll be ok. Unless this emphasis doesn't let up about midway through the season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tB9KF0O.png

Yeah, my tables are a disaster. Thanks for doing that. (y)

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
So let's summarise. Our community outreach guys gave away shitloads of free tickets to kids in need. And our coaches came up with a genius solution to combat the emphasis on defensive holding, that has been so effective that through two games we have zero penalties relating to that point of emphasis.

Isn't it nice to have an organisation that knows what the fuck it's doing for a change?!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is what I fear most about this up-coming season!!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
So let's summarise. Our community outreach guys gave away shitloads of free tickets to kids in need. And our coaches came up with a genius solution to combat the emphasis on defensive holding, that has been so effective that through two games we have zero penalties relating to that point of emphasis.

Isn't it nice to have an organisation that knows what the freak it's doing for a change?!

I'm not sure that is correct. I remember Lamarcus Joyner being flagged once in each game for holding.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So with roughly 120 plays a game and the 20 penalties of week 2 of preseason that's a foul every 6 plays and that's going to piss some viewers off.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Glad our Rams did that nice thing for those kids,classy owners hire classy people,maybe it will even prompt Bernie to write something nice about a man too complicated for him to understand.
I suspected we were close to no PI's and holding calls, ,you can build a reputation for that and refs. will actually let you get away with more.