MMQB: Peter King - 2/29/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from this article. Lots of stuff on college players and the combine. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/28/carson-wentz-nfl-draft-combine-north-dakota

By Peter King

mmqb-rams-fans-oxnard.jpg

Photo: Mark J. Terrill/AP
The Rams already have an idea of what to expect in Oxnard, where they practiced with the Cowboys for two days last summer.

The Rams’ move is going to be an odyssey

I’m not saying the Rams have a built-in excuse to struggle in 2016, but …

Well, come to think of it, maybe I am.

On Friday, in Los Angeles, the Rams’ braintrust and human resources people will gather players in a hotel ballroom to explain what’s about to happen logistically with the team’s move to California. I say California, because the Rams are moving to four places this year:

• To Oxnard, 61 miles up the 101 from Los Angeles, for off-season minicamps and training.

• Then from Oxnard to Irvine, 105 miles south, for summer training camp. (It’s likely the team will have training camp at UC-Irvine.)

• Then from Irvine to Thousand Oaks, 84 miles north, for their in-season practice facility and offices, beginning in late August and running through the season. (The Thousand Oaks details are being finalized.)

• Then, on game days, from Thousands Oaks to the Coliseum in Los Angeles, 43 miles southeast.

And one more thing: The Rams will play a home game in London on Oct. 23 against the Giants. That’s a nice little commute of 5,437 miles, each way.

“Thirty-one other teams in the league right now are staying put, and they’re going through an offseason program and there is stability there,” Rams GM Les Snead said at the combine. “It’s how quickly can we bring stability, from a player perspective, into this offseason program? Because we’re going to kick the season off like everyone else.”

Other notes about the move: The Rams can’t stay in Oxnard for training camp, though it would have been perfect, because the Cowboys have a contract for the site … The Rams would like to entice Orange County fans back to the fan base; the last time the Rams played in Southern California was in 1994, in Anaheim, in Orange County … The schedule at the Coliseum will be interesting from a couple perspectives. Don’t expect the team to play at the Coliseum on back-to-back days with University of Southern California football, and don’t expect Rams games to be scheduled at the Coliseum on weeknights while school is in session at nearby USC.

Because of that, it’s likely the Rams will open the season on the road, because USC is home to Utah State on Saturday Sept. 10, and the opening Sunday of the season is Sept. 11 … The Rams will have a tough time playing home prime-time games then, because USC finals in fall semester don’t end until Dec. 14. That would leave just three weeks to play Thursday or Monday night at home at the storied Coliseum. Of course, we’ll see if the prime-time thing becomes a hard-and-fast rule or a suggested practice. Could be the league or the team will appeal to the Coliseum to play one prime-time game earlier in the season.

Can you imagine, too, if in midseason the Chargers’ attempt to get a new stadium in San Diego falls through, and it’s announced the Chargers will be moving north to Los Angeles for 2017 and beyond? There’s another layer of distraction for the Rams. (And, by the way, I still haven’t heard one person, in the L.A. area or outside of it, who thinks a Chargers move to Los Angeles is a good idea. Because it isn’t.)

After hearing all the details and potential difficulties about this first season of the team in Southern California, two thoughts came to mind: The Rams haven’t finished above .500 in 13 years, have a revolving door at quarterback with no obvious starter now, and are in a division with two legitimate Super Bowl contenders, Arizona and Seattle; how can they expect to be a serious contender for the playoffs this season? And how endangered is Jeff Fisher’s job if he is sub-.500 for the fifth straight season, even with the logistical nightmare? In many ways, it’s a huge year for the Rams, and it can’t be a honeymoon.

On Peyton Manning

In the wake of columnist Woody Paige’s story in the Denver Post that Peyton Manning will announce his retirement by the end of the week, a few thoughts:

• Manning went to Denver GM John Elway’s home last Tuesday for a meeting, an amicable one, and then spoke to coach Gary Kubiak on the phone because Kubiak had already left for the combine. He is likely to speak to each man again this week. Elway at the combine was determined not to say anything of substance about the process. He’s been a quarterback at the highest level of football, and he believes strongly that Manning deserves to take as much time as he wants (within reason) to make an important life decision.

• Manning said to me on the night of the Super Bowl, “I am going to take my time” in making the decision about his future. He was clearly going to get away with his family, enjoy winning the Super Bowl for a couple of weeks, then get back to the business of figuring out what to do—retire or keep playing, somewhere—by the March 9 deadline for guaranteeing the $19 million salary with Denver in 2016.

This is just something I believe—simply a gut feeling. I think it’s more likely Manning takes all the time before March 9 to make his decision and announcement. He’s always been the kind of person who, even if he is 99.6 percent sure he knows what he’ll do today, will take all the time that’s afforded him before making his call. Who knows? Maybe some interesting option he hadn’t considered pops up, say, next Friday. So my best guess would be Manning announces nothing this week and says whatever he’ll say early next week.

Playing for Denver continues to be an unlikely option, because the Broncos are trying to wedge three important free-agents—Von Miller, Malik Jackson and Brock Osweiler—under the 2016 salary cap by signing all to long-term contracts. Getting all three signed also is unlikely, but all three are bigger priorities for Elway than is Manning, who just had a shaky year and turns 40 in 24 days.

My best guess is he’ll retire. That guess hasn’t changed since the night of the Super Bowl. It’s hard to imagine Manning going somewhere else and playing one more sunset season.

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

On Jan. 3, the Giants and Eagles met on the last Sunday of the regular season. The winner would finish second in the NFC East, the loser third. The outcome of the game would put the final piece in the NFC West scheduling puzzle. The second-place team would be matched with Seattle, at Seattle, in 2016. The third-place team would play St. Louis, in a “home” game for the Rams in London in 2016.

The Eagles rallied from a 27-21 deficit with two late touchdowns to beat the Giants, 35-30.

Nine days later, the Rams were approved to move from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

So, late in the third quarter of Week 17, the London matchup was lining up to be Philadelphia-St. Louis.

Nine days later, the game actually was New York-Los Angeles.

Think, too, of the angst of FOX, which could have had a big late-window doubleheader game in 2016—the first New York-Los Angeles football game since 1994, at Los Angeles in the classic old Coliseum, site of Super Bowl I.

Philly-St. Louis would have been a decent candidate to live-stream at 9:30 a.m. on the East Coast, the way the NFL did last year on Yahoo with Bills-Jags. Now it seems unlikely the league would start Rams-Giants at 6:30 a.m. Los Angeles time. I was told the league hasn’t made a decision yet on either the live-streaming aspect of this game or on the start time. I’ve got to think the league won’t schedule it for an ungodly hour on the West Coast.

I think I’ve had enough of the if-we-could-just-close-out-games-we’d-have-been-a-playoff-team palaver from Giants GM Jerry Reese. At the combine he said, “If we close out a couple of games, you know, we can be 10-6. We lost a lot of games close. We had the lead late in the fourth quarter in a few games … A few plays here or there and we could be 10-6 instead of 6-10.” Two points. The Giants closed the season 2-7, allowing 30.7 points per game in those nine games. That’s not a good team. That’s not close to being a good team. And the game is 60 minutes long.

It’s cute and interesting (the first 74 times) to hear that the Giants would have been the ’85 Bears if the games were only 57 minutes long, or whatever, in 2015. They don’t give shiny trophies for 57 minutes of football. A long time ago I covered the Giants, and I asked Bill Parcells, then the coach, some question having to do with progress his team was making, and he asked me to see the Giants media guide. I handed him one, and he turned to the year-by-year won-lost records. “Look,” he said, pointing to some past season.

“L, W, W, W, L, L, L … Do you see anywhere in there what actually happened in the game? No. It doesn’t matter. All that matters is the W or the L. Nobody years from now is going to look at our record and say, ‘Well, the quarterback was hurt for this game, or you missed whoever for another game.’ Did you win or lose? That’s it.”
--------------
I think one personnel move last week got lost in the combine shuffle: Billy Devaney, the former Rams GM who made Sam Bradford the No. 1 pick in the 2010 draft, resigned as a Falcons’ scout to take the job as director of football operations for coach Mike Riley and the Nebraska football team. Interesting move. The Huskers must have made it very much worth Devaney’s while to make the switch. This follows a trend being set by Nick Saban at Alabama, putting football people with strong résumés in important off-field positions.
-------------
I think Tim Tebow needs one more pro chance to get the football thing out of his system. That’s highly unlikely to ever come again in the NFL. And even though the CFL, with its wide fields and major need for accuracy, doesn’t fit Tebow’s game that well, he ought to try it. Tebow mentor Urban Meyer, who coached the Heisman-winning QB at Florida, suggested on NFL Network that Tebow would consider the CFL under the right circumstances.
-------------
I think it’s sad that Matt Hasselbeck won’t continue as the backup quarterback to Andrew Luck. Sad and a bit perplexing. What did Hasselbeck do wrong in relief of Luck last year, other than win five games?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think one personnel move last week got lost in the combine shuffle: Billy Devaney, the former Rams GM who made Sam Bradford the No. 1 pick in the 2010 draft, resigned as a Falcons’ scout to take the job as director of football operations for coach Mike Riley and the Nebraska football team. Interesting move. The Huskers must have made it very much worth Devaney’s while to make the switch. This follows a trend being set by Nick Saban at Alabama, putting football people with strong résumés in important off-field positions.

Someday Devaney is going to realize the most critical element in his job is who is his head coach. Riley has not consistently demonstrated an ability to maximize his talent, if I were the football operations lead I'd have a very short leash with him.

Playing for Denver continues to be an unlikely option, because the Broncos are trying to wedge three important free-agents—Von Miller, Malik Jackson and Brock Osweiler—under the 2016 salary cap by signing all to long-term contracts. Getting all three signed also is unlikely, but all three are bigger priorities for Elway than is Manning, who just had a shaky year and turns 40 in 24 days.

The assumption that Elway is going to proceed with Osweiler is something I don't agree with. John's a competitive MFer and is not known to settle. I have to think the Broncos are one of those potential surprise teams that would try to move up if they like one of these QBs. Certainly they're a risk to snap up one of them late round 1 and maybe again later. Osweiler has a long way to go IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
King is probably right about this move taking its toll on the team and possibly affecting the win/loss column. It seems that it would be difficult to have a lot success under such duress. That being said, maybe this is not the year the Rams should move up for a QB. They may have at top 5 pick next year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
maybe this is not the year the Rams should move up for a QB. They may have at top 5 pick next year.

Can't see any Fisher-led team being worse than 6-10 or better than 9-7. No top-five pick for the Rams. Sign a decent QB in FA and continue to develop Mannion.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
King is probably right about this move taking its toll on the team and possibly affecting the win/loss column. It seems that it would be difficult to have a lot success under such duress. That being said, maybe this is not the year the Rams should move up for a QB. They may have at top 5 pick next year.

Another good thing....this resolves the "excuse for the season", without even having to wait.....another year of mediocrity to a seemingly never ending list.