MMQB: Jared Goff, L.A. Rams Progressing Under Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below to watch video.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/14/los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-jared-goff-mmqb

Game Plan: Jared Goff, L.A. Rams Progressing Under Sean McVay With Redskins Looming
ALBERT BREER

JEFF GROSS/GETTY IMAGES

Sean McVay’s work as offensive coordinator in D.C. was done, and he was headed to Los Angeles to become the youngest head coach in NFL history. But before he left, Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins stopped by to give him something.

It was a jersey Cousins had signed, with a message inscribed inside the ‘8.’

“It was cool, man,” McVay said late Wednesday night. “It’s as special as anything I’ve ever gotten from a player. It says, ‘I owe you my career.’ Which … Certainly, I can say the same thing to him. There’s a mutual respect there, and an appreciation for the relationship we had, and I think it was unique that both of us got the chances we got.

“You get a chance as a coordinator to start calling plays and then he gets the shot to start full-time. That coincided those two years, and I think there was a special bond created with one another because of that.”

Eight months later, McVay is trying to recreate that in southern California. So far, so good, based on what we saw in the opener. Jared Goff finished his first game under the Rams’ 31-year-old coach with 306 yards, a touchdown and no picks on 21-of-29 passing in a 46-9 rout of the Colts.

And yet this weekend, with Cousins and the 0-1 Redskins coming to the Coliseum, and all the memories rushing back, McVay gets a reminder of how far he and Goff have to go.

"It’s the fact that we just haven’t worked together long enough," McVay said. "We’re trying to figure it out ourselves as we get comfortable with one another. That’s the biggest thing.”

After an uneven rookie year, Goff looked every bit the part of the first pick in the draft in his sophomore debut. And the biggest difference, with all due respect to Andrew Whitworth and Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods, is the people teaching him.

McVay, of course, will get the credit and the blame as a head coach does. But he insists that coordinator Matt LeFleur and quarterbacks coach Greg Olsen have been just as big a part of getting Goff right. First, it was about fixing the pieces around him. So in came Whitworth, Watkins, Woods and rookie Gerald Everett. From there, the focus turned to getting Goff to operate with confidence.

“Everything we do has the quarterback in mind first, because I think that’s the most difficult position, so you want to make it as easy as possible for those guys,” McVay said. “The things that we'll accentuate with Jared vs. Kirk, while there’s a similar approach, there are some different things that they each feel comfortable with that we might call. Because ultimately it’s about them feeling good about it, not me.

“I mean, I’ve got a handful of plays that I like but I don’t want to run plays that our players aren’t comfortable going and executing. It’s an ongoing thing as I get to know [Jared]. Working with Kirk a little bit longer, you knew what he liked and we were able to grow in a system together.”

To begin with, though, McVay and the coaches tried to lay a foundation that any quarterback would like. He wanted a run/pass balance, and the Rams ran it (33 times) more than they threw it (31) against Indy. McVay wanted to stay out of long yardage, and Los Angeles faced just eight third downs with more than 5 yards to gain all afternoon.

From there, the staff wanted to use that balance to generate play-action opportunities and let Goff throw on rhythm. Three big plays illustrate how that worked:

• Early in the second quarter, the Rams faked an end around to Tavon Austin, and as soon as Goff’s right foot planted, the ball was on its way out to Cooper Kupp for an easy 24-yard gain.

• On the first play of the Rams’ next possession Goff sold a play-fake to Todd Gurley, turned and, working off five-step-drop timing, found Sammy Watkins on an in-cut for 24 yards through a dead spot in the Colts’ zone.

• On the Rams’ third offensive snap of the third quarter, Goff set up off jet-sweep action to Austin, and threaded a high-cross to Robert Woods between three defenders for 27 yards.

Each play was what the Rams qualify as “explosives” (20-yards plus). Each helped build Goff’s comfort level within a new offense, which is similar to how it was done for Cousins in Washington.

“The first thing you’ll notice, you want plays that start out looking the same that are different—your run actions, whether it’s play-action, or some of your movements, where you’re bootlegging him,” McVay said. “Those are the things he’s really done a good job with, especially when you take into account the stuff in the preseason where early-down plays, you’re running play-actions and movements.

“He’s good at it, he’s gotten really comfortable with it. And that’s where there’s a good chance to open up some things down the field.”

This week, the challenge changes, of course, with an opponent that knows McVay and his scheme exceedingly well, because it’s their scheme, too. And so, as the coach is quick to point out, they’ll have to keep what he calls “the progression going.”

But the fact is, Goff’s in a much better spot than he was even a few months ago. McVay’s proud of Goff for completing 70 percent of his passes last week, and even prouder that he stayed out of the turnover column. On the other hand, Cousins’ presence on Sunday will serve as a reminder on how far they have to go.

“Hopefully, you’re an extension of one another where they can anticipate what’s going on because you’re so in tune with the game plan,” said McVay. “That evolves over time. With my relationship with Kirk and really Colt McCoy over the last couple years, they had a really good feel for what we were trying to get done offensively as a coaching staff and that allowed them to anticipate the play calls coming in.

“Things take time. (Goff) is in a really good place, it’s not one or the other. It’s the fact that we just haven’t worked together long enough. We’re trying to figure it out.”

As for that Cousins jersey, it found a home in McVay’s upstairs theater room at his house just Southeast of the facility. “I’ve got a couple nice things up there,” he said, “but it’s probably the most special thing.”

In case you were wondering, yes, there’s room up there for more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay should run an OC school in the offseason and school Boras & Cignetti....hell, bring Schottenheimer & Fish...help those brothers out...They were clueless.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay should run an OC school in the offseason and school Boras & Cignetti....hell, bring Schottenheimer & Fish...help those brothers out...They were clueless.
He'll no! They might end up coaching vs us. On that note though I hope Wade is training a successor.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I'm not sure that would even work. Fisher just flat out had no balls whatsoever with regard to offense, and the Three Stooges that serves as his OC's didn't seem to either.

Name
Hannibal Ram
It's amazing. Who knew that you would get better results when surrounding yourself with good position coaches rather than good friends and "Yes Men"?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not sure that would even work. Fisher just flat out had no balls whatsoever with regard to offense, and the Three Stooges that serves as his OC's didn't seem to either.

Well to be fair he did allow Schotty to TRY to open up the offense. Which resulted in a losing streak and Fish stepping in to reinstitute the run-centric approach.

Fish was to blame for a lot of things, no doubt, like most notably his OC hires. But he's a Buddy Ryan disciple so for him to succeed/be comfortable he probably needs a crushing, neanderthal defense and a line who can dictate the run game. As Fish was quoted on once (paraphrasing) "here comes the run, prove you can stop it." But their drafting didn't really go that direction, instead bringing in guys like Tavon who would have been better served in a more wide open offense with a fertile teaching environment. So I do think the general dysfunction between him and Les was an issue far before it came to a head, just my suspicion on it.

What I love about McVay is that he sees the game from the quarterback perspective first off, and secondly he gives us an edge in gameplanning which is enormously important at this level. In this league from now and on into the future, you are not going to be able to hold onto a brilliant offensive coordinator, simply because of their importance with development of the QB position on top of the other stuff. So IMO the only real way to lock one of those guys up is hire him as your head coach and hope he's got the skill set to grow into running the whole thing.

Well, IMO, McVay has that skill set. Now we get to sit back and enjoy a beautiful era of Rams football.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Why bother teaching a dumb offensive mind Jeff Fisher.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well to be fair he did allow Schotty to TRY to open up the offense.

Therein lies the rub though ...he allowed SCHOTTY - i.e. someone who was completely unqualified to do so - open the offense. And with personnel who were incapable of executing it. The results were fairly predictable.

True balls by Fisher would have meant ditching Schotty for a truly qualified OC with demonstrated competence in a more wide open offense, and letting that OC have more input into the draft. Or, for that matter, true balls by Fisher would have meant hiring Hue Jackson over Schotty when he got the Rams job in 2012.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True balls by Fisher would have meant ditching Schotty for a truly qualified OC with demonstrated competence in a more wide open offense, and letting that OC have more input into the draft. Or, for that matter, true balls by Fisher would have meant hiring Hue Jackson over Schotty when he got the Rams job in 2012.

Can't argue with that. Or just throwing money at one of the numerous OCs who came available during his 5 year run, and promising to allow them some autonomy with the offense. He shouldn't have allowed Turner to get away. Even Greg Roman would have been a damn windfall for him.

The dude was primarily to blame I don't deny that. Just pointing out that it was more his poor hires that held him back than anything else. IMO if he had made a good hire, then he would have been able to shake that conservative nonsense he backed himself into.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Therein lies the rub though ...he allowed SCHOTTY - i.e. someone who was completely unqualified to do so - open the offense. And with personnel who were incapable of executing it. The results were fairly predictable.

Remember when they said they were going to open up the offense? I think the words were..."we're gonna keep DCs up at night". I think it was after they drafted Austin?

And they did try... for about four games if memory serves... when it wasn't working, instead of adjusting, they went back to ultra-conservative mode and things never got better.

Bottom line was/is/will always be... they simply didn't know how to run an offense.

If McVay can get that done (and think he will)... watch out!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I love about McVay is that he sees the game from the quarterback perspective

For good reason. McVay played QB in high school and WR in college. All of McVay's coaching gigs have been on offense. He is offense minded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McVay

He was the first player in school history to amass 1,000 yards rushing and passing in consecutive seasons. He totaled 2,600 yards rushing and 40 touchdowns rushing during his career and also passed for 2,500 yards and 18 touchdowns, leading the War Eagles to a 26–3 record, including a 14–1 record and state title as a senior, when he was named the Georgia 4A Offensive Player of the Year.

Jeff Fisher, on the other hand, although he played WR in high school, turned to defense in college and in his coaching gigs. He is defense minded. An interesting fact about Fisher is that he was the youngest coach in the league in 1988 after being hired by Buddy Ryan as his DC.

McVay hires Wade Phillips to coach defense so he can concentrate on the offense. Fisher hires Gregg Williams as DC but then screws up in his selection of OC's. Therein lies the difference.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay hires Wade Phillips to coach defense so he can concentrate on the offense. Fisher hires Gregg Williams as DC but then screws up in his selection of OC's. Therein lies the difference.
Pretty much nailed it!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff Fisher, on the other hand, although he played WR in high school, turned to defense in college and in his coaching gigs. He is defense minded. An interesting fact about Fisher is that he was the youngest coach in the league in 1988 after being hired by Buddy Ryan as his DC.

This reminds me too... Going off memory here but I don't recall Fisher proving himself to be elite as a DC. He always was smart and well respected in league circles, but he never had the track record of a top DC even in small sample size.

IMO that is important too. I would not consider a head coach unless he showed he was special during his coordinator years. That's a basic requirement for me if I'm a GM, and from there I care about the leadership part at the top. Because I would be after a special head coach, a Bill Walsh or Bill Belichick.