MMQB: Football In Canada

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Are the rules similar to the NFL rules?
Honestly I don't know the exact differences.

Some things I see are that the end zones look 20 yards deep and old school style with the post at the front of the zone. You can score one point somehow. There's a 55 yard line.

It's pretty close though. Chad Johnson is playing in this particular game.

Last edited:

Slappy967

Starter
As a CFL fan since 2009 I can honestly tell you the level of play is very solid across the board. Rules wise there isn't a ton that's different then the NFL. The field is longer and wider, each side has 12 men on the field, there is only 3 downs instead of 4, you can receive a single point if your opponent cannot advance a kickoff/punt/missed FG out of the end zone and pass interference is a challenge able penalty now. Once you wrap your brain around that you are good to go. In my opinion the CFL is like a mix of NCAA and Arena football, lots of shotgun formation and WR allowed to be in motion at the snap leads to high scoring and action packed games.

Also go Riders!

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I live in Canada but I can't get into the CFL. I used to go watch Stampeder games when I lived in Calgary and it was fun, but trying to get into it on the TV proved to be difficult for me. The ball switches hands too often with the 3 downs and the talent level is noticeably inferior to american football.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry nothing against the CFL and I've enjoyed some great games over the years, but I always viewed the CFL like the calorically challenged woman at the bar during closing time. Pretty face, will my roommates see her in the morning or can I get her out before they wake up? Again some excitement, but I just never felt right afterwards.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
i'm a Esky fan and have been for years. I like how the game moves along. I like the rules, tho some wouldn't work in the NFL. A couple years ago I got to go to a Esky vs. Blue Bomber game in the Peg. Great atmosphere, lot's of fun. It's a nice football fix till the NFL starts up.

Slappy967

Starter
Eskimos fan huh? How did that come about? Are you from Canada? Just curious because I would like to go to a CFL game next year and am trying to get feedback advice on travel and whatnot.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Eskimos fan huh? How did that come about? Are you from Canada? Just curious because I would like to go to a CFL game next year and am trying to get feedback advice on travel and whatnot.

I have no idea how I became a fan. Long time ago the cable company I had used to show the CFL and Aussie rules football. I got hooked on both. Yeah, I think anyone would have a good time at a CFL game. People are nice and beer is cold. As far as travel depending where and how you go into Canada you need a passport. For sure to get back in the states. Everything there is exactly the same as here but more expensive by maybe 5%.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I have no idea how I became a fan. Long time ago the cable company I had used to show the CFL and Aussie rules football. I got hooked on both. Yeah, I think anyone would have a good time at a CFL game. People are nice and beer is cold. As far as travel depending where and how you go into Canada you need a passport. For sure to get back in the states. Everything there is exactly the same as here but more expensive by maybe 5%.

Instead of the CFL, I got hooked on Australian Rules Football back when ESPN was in it's infancy. I got to know the rules (there were none) and the teams.

Never watched the CFL much. I knew Bud Grant won 4 Grey Cups, so I stayed away. Exactly 4 more Grey Cups than Super Bowls, that is. F the Vikes!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Instead of the CFL, I got hooked on Australian Rules Football back when ESPN was in it's infancy. I got to know the rules (there were none) and the teams.

Never watched the CFL much. I knew Bud Grant won 4 Grey Cups, so I stayed away. Exactly 4 more Grey Cups than Super Bowls, that is. F the Vikes!

I'm a Essendon Bomber fan. Even bought a hat and jersey. You are right by lack of the rules. Anarchy on turf.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'm a Essendon Bomber fan. Even bought a hat and jersey. You are right by lack of the rules. Anarchy on turf.

Too cool. I liked the Carlton Blues. They were dominant in the early 80's, and if I remember right, they won the Premiership in 81 & 82. I jumped on the bandwagon, but lost track after I got my own place and TV with rabbit ears...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
pk-story.jpg

The MMQB :: Getty Images :: The Canadian Press/AP

Canadian Appreciation
From Regina to Calgary to Medicine Hat, the Canadian Football League is stitched into the fabric of our neighbors to the north. On opening weekend, we see that pride, fall in love with the rouge and get a kiss from Chad Johnson
By Peter King

So while the NFL is on hiatus with nothing happening, here’s a window into the league you ignore (and I have too, for the vast majority of my football-writing career) on a weekend with four games in a nine-team league.

Read the entire article at this link.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Thanks for merging the threads and for the above link PT. Chad was sad.

CFL season has good timing to fill the gap in NFL action, eh? I think they should even think about pushing their beginning date back earlier. I'm surprised they don't make a bigger push to garner NFL fans in the off-season than what they apparently do because I really don't see it. I think they could do a better job marketing the league.

The XFL was fun but it really wasn't all about the football. The spectacle was the bigger thing and that's really what was wrong. With the Canadian football league it is really is all about the sport. I like that. I can see real potential for this league to grow as the NFLs little bro up north.

Last edited:

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

I live in BC...near Vancouver. What are you looking to figure out ? or get advice about ? or whatever...I may be able to help depending on what you're looking for.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for merging the threads and for the above link PT.

Actually I attempted to merge mine into yours so that your thread would stay and mine would be merged. Thought I clicked all the right magic buttons but alas it was not meant to be. I owe you one. :cheers:

Slappy967

Starter
Advice wise just trying to figure out which stadiums have the best atmosphere, which cities are best from a tourism standpoint, things like that.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Advice wise just trying to figure out which stadiums have the best atmosphere, which cities are best from a tourism standpoint, things like that.

From a tourist standpoint I would think Vancouver and Montreal would be the most interesting CFL cities to visit. Vancouver has the Pacific Ocean, large city (2nd largest in Canada I think, behind Toronto), mountains, and is generally considered the most beautiful city in Canada. Montreal has more culture, night life is supposed to be the best in Canada, really hot girls, and is a big city as well. French is the first language in Quebec though everybody there speaks english as well (but they don't like to speak English and kind of look down on people who can't speak French).
I would avoid Saskatchewan (Roughriders) and Manitoba (Blue Bombers) as they don't really have anything to offer from a tourist standpoint. Grass...lots of it...as far as the eye can see. Kind of dirty, old, rundown looking places. Known to get as cold as -50 Celcius in the winter.
Ottawa could be cool if you're into politics. This is where the Canadian House of Commons is (where the Canadian Federal Government does all it's business) and is close enough to Montreal that you could visit both if you wanted to.
Toronto is the largest city in Canada and I don't know much about it but if the big city is your thing, that's as big as it gets in Canada but there is really nothing around there worth seeing from a tourist point of view in my opinion.
The maritime provinces are beautiful but none of them have a CFL football team.
Calgary....Nice city. Very clean for a city of the size. Close to Banff and Lake Louise (the Rocky Mountains) and has the Calgary Stampede around the same time that CFL football is getting started so you could kill two birds with one stone there, but other than the Stampede...not much of a tourist destination I don't think.

Stadium atmosphere...I can't really comment much because I've only been to the Calgary and Vancouver stadiums. Out of the two I enjoyed Calgary more...it's wide open and outdoors.

Overall if you're looking for a tourist destination outside of football BC is imo the most beautiful part of Canada by far. If you enjoy nature and scenery nothing else even comes close to what BC has to offer.

Hope that helps...a little at least

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
....oh and Edmonton is just like Calgary, but not as nice. If you're in Alberta you could easily visit both cities as they're only a 3 hour drive apart.

Slappy967

Starter
How is the BC Lions new stadium? I wont lie I love the look of IGF in Winnipeg and am curious to see what the Redblacks have to offer atmosphere wise when they finally debut on espn.