MMQB: 6/22/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Page 1: Eagles CB Byron Maxwell and the Charleston tragedy.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/22/nfl-charleston-shooting-byron-maxwell-eagles/

Page 2: Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski: “To this day, I still haven’t touched one dime of my signing bonus or NFL contract money. I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school… I don’t hurt anyone (except Gord with the occasional kick to the groin), I don’t do drugs, I don’t drive drunk, I don’t break the law… I’m a 23-year-old guy just looking to have a fun time.”
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/22/nfl-charleston-shooting-byron-maxwell-eagles/2/

Page 3: Tom Brady vs. Roger Goodell
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/22/nfl-charleston-shooting-byron-maxwell-eagles/3/

Page 4: Quotes and the extra-point controversy.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/22/nfl-charleston-shooting-byron-maxwell-eagles/4/

Page 5: 10 THINGS I THINK I THINK

I think the Rams will have the best defensive line in football by a long shot, and I’m not surprised to hear the newest member of a stellar group getting excited about it. Nick Fairley told AL.com over the weekend that the D-line of Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Fairley “is going to be amazing this year.” Fatigue has been Fairley’s enemy in the past, so how better to motivate the big man than to pair him with capable teammates who will challenge his playing time?
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/22/nfl-charleston-shooting-byron-maxwell-eagles/5/

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Page 2: Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski: “To this day, I still haven’t touched one dime of my signing bonus or NFL contract money. I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school… I don’t hurt anyone (except Gord with the occasional kick to the groin), I don’t do drugs, I don’t drive drunk, I don’t break the law… I’m a 23-year-old guy just looking to have a fun time.”

I like to think if I ever earned that much I'd divide it equally for every year I'd be expected to be alive, after buying a house and a decent car. Fortunately it will never be a problem :cry:.

I think the Rams will have the best defensive line in football by a long shot

Disagree, we'll have an elite OL, maybe even the best, but the Bills and maybe Jets will give us a very good run for our money, we won't be miles a head if we are first.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It won't just be our D-line.
Our Defense will be the leagues best in 2015, and I don't feel like I'm being a homer saying so.
It's a matter of logic. Great DC with his system familiar to a defense that improved greatly once the chemistry and familiarity were there.
A defensive trench manned by 5 guys better than Eugene Sims and Will Hayes, who are no slouches.
The development of EJ Gaines, the McSafeties, Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron.
The additions of Fairley and Ayers.
The return of all of last season's starters and the development of the depth behind them.
The Offenses we will face.
And just as important, our own n offense, which figures to give up fewer turnovers and maintain a better control of the clock with an emphasis on an improved ground game.....

RAMS Vs COWBOYS
NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
"Trench Warfare"

(Drops mic)

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I like to think if I ever earned that much I'd divide it equally for every year I'd be expected to be alive, after buying a house and a decent car. Fortunately it will never be a problem :cry:.

Disagree, we'll have an elite OL, maybe even the best, but the Bills and maybe Jets will give us a very good run for our money, we won't be miles a head if we are first.

Ellite ol? Please tell me that's a typo brother?:fighting:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Ellite ol? Please tell me that's a typo brother?:fighting:

Nah, I know everyone likes to think young OLs have struggles but in recent years they've become like young WR, capable of putting up 1,000 yard seasons far earlier than they have in the past, I like to think of Havenstein as Odell Beckham Jr and Brown as Mike Evans.

Did I convince you? I'm not sure I convinced myself.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It won't just be our D-line.
Our Defense will be the leagues best in 2015, and I don't feel like I'm being a homer saying so.
It's a matter of logic. Great DC with his system familiar to a defense that improved greatly once the chemistry and familiarity were there.
A defensive trench manned by 5 guys better than Eugene Sims and Will Hayes, who are no slouches.
The development of EJ Gaines, the McSafeties, Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron.
The additions of Fairley and Ayers.
The return of all of last season's starters and the development of the depth behind them.
The Offenses we will face.
And just as important, our own n offense, which figures to give up fewer turnovers and maintain a better control of the clock with an emphasis on an improved ground game.....

RAMS Vs COWBOYS
NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
"Trench Warfare"

(Drops mic)

Well said, and couldn't agree more.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/24/nfl-player-politics-charleston-mailbag/

On to your mail…

ON THE BEST DEFENSIVE LINE IN FOOTBALL. The Rams’ defensive line is very good, but the best by a long shot? I don’t think so. Next time you are driving in New Jersey just remember there’s a team there with a pretty good D-line in green and white who just added the best D-line collegian.

—Peter G.

To recap, in Monday’s column I wrote:

“I think the Rams will have the best defensive line in football by a long shot, and I’m not surprised to hear the newest member of a stellar group getting excited about it. Nick Fairley told AL.com over the weekend that the D-line of Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Fairley “is going to be amazing this year.”

I heard Peter G.’s sentiment several times from readers of the column. Some cited the Jets, others pointed to the Bills or Broncos. I started thinking of a scientific way to illustrate my point and remembered that Pro Football Focus tallies sacks, hits and hurries for each player.

As pass rushing has become the most vital quality of a good defensive line, I figured this would be a good indicator of group prowess. I looked at the projected depth charts for the five teams generally thought to have the best lines, then added up the 2014 sacks, hits and hurries for the top five contributing players on each team (excluding rookies). The results:

Broncos: 217
Bills: 210
Jets: 169
Panthers: 166
Rams: 164

Should I rethink my statement? I don’t think so. Consider that Long missed most of the season with an ankle injury, and teams subsequently turned the focus on Quinn, who was coming off a breakout season in 2013.

Last season, under those circumstances, Quinn and Long combined for 62 sacks/hits/hurries. In 2013, that number was 154. Barring further injury, factoring in a slimmed down Nick Fairley, I don’t think it gets better than St. Louis.