Mmmmmm. Beeeeeeer. (*drooool*)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Well friends, I just got back from a beer run to Vermont with the following spoils of war:
- 16 cans of Heady Topper (The Alchemist)
- 4 cans of Second Fiddle (Fiddlehead)
- 1 bottle of Lunch IPA (Maine Beer Co.)
- 1 bottle of Another One IPA (Maine Beer Co.)
- 1 bottle of Mother's Milk Stout (Keegan Ales)
- 1 growler of Hodad Porter (Fiddlehead)

On top of that, went to my local shop this morning and added:
- 1 bottle of Love Child #5 (Boulevard)
- 1 bottle of Nebuchadnezzar (Omnipollo)
- 1 bottle of Fatamorgana (Omnipollo)
- 4 bottles of Troublesome (Off-Color)
- 1 can Jammer Gose (Sixpoint)

The best part may be that I've found someone in Northern California who is trading me some Pliny the Elder (Russian River) for some of my Heady Topper.

All in all, a good beer weekend.

What's the best brew you've ever had? What's the one beer you'd most like to try?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I got to try one of these this week;

ky-ale.jpg

Really nice. Beer with a hint of bourbon... and 8% alcohol.

This is the closest I've found to a "barley wine" micro brew my wife and I have been chasing with similar taste.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul

ky-ale.jpg

This is the closest I've found to a "barley wine" micro brew my wife and I have been chasing with similar taste.
Good beer and best brewery tour I've ever done. I don't think any of us left sober after enjoying a plethora of samples. I think they charge for the tour now. It's great stuff considering it's only Dr. Lyons hobby. He makes tons of money making animal feed.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ky-ale.jpg

That's a good one. Same brewery makes a bourbon barrel stout, too.

If you can find it, Chicago's Goose Island brewery makes an AMAZING bourbon stout - the Bourbon County series - and have, at least in the past, actually made a bourbon barrel barleywine.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Well friends, I just got back from a beer run to Vermont with the following spoils of war:

The best part may be that I've found someone in Northern California who is trading me some Pliny the Elder (Russian River) for some of my Heady Topper.

What's the best brew you've ever had? What's the one beer you'd most like to try?

wasn't really impressed with the Pliny - it was a gift from my brother in law which may have tainted it, but thought it was just so so
I do prefer more sessionable beers, cause I like to imbibe without getting all sloshy and phased by 9:00 p.m. - although when I do I am nothing but the most charming fellow you have ever met!
From your list I am definitely interested in the Lunch IPA and Another One IPA cause those names sound like my life's thematic statements
we have lots of great beer here in Central Texas -- My favorite local Central Texas beers that are real fun are the following:

For Belgium beers
http://adelbertsbeer.com

My favorite Austin Beerworks - Fire Eagle
http://www.austinbeerworks.com/

512 IPA is the best but they are super super local
www.512brewing.com

And Live Oak brewing makes a great German wheat beer (lots of Germans in Central TX)
www.liveoakbrewing.com

IPA.png

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
wasn't really impressed with the Pliny - it was a gift from my brother in law which may have tainted it, but thought it was just so so
I do prefer more sessionable beers, cause I like to imbibe without getting all sloshy and phased by 9:00 p.m. - although when I do I am nothing but the most charming fellow you have ever met!
From your list I am definitely interested in the Lunch IPA and Another One IPA cause those names sound like my life's thematic statements
we have lots of great beer here in Central Texas -- My favorite local Central Texas beers that are real fun are the following:

For Belgium beers

www.512brewing.com

And Live Oak brewing makes a great German wheat beer (lots of Germans in Central TX)
www.liveoakbrewing.com

View attachment 6404
Nice. Ever consider doing beer trades with folks in other regions - say, New England? Got a bunch of fantastic breweries up this way... Long Trail, Sixpoint, Clown Shoes, Cambridge Brewing Company, Harpoon, etc. I'd like to try some can't-get-outside-Texas brews.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

For Belgium beers

www.512brewing.com

www.liveoakbrewing.com

View attachment 6404
Also, Lunch and Another One are both great. Everything Maine Beer Co. makes is great. Their Mo Pale Ale is extraordinary, if kinda pricey ($8 a bottle), but available everywhere around me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Am I the only one who doesnt really like IPA's? To bitter for my taste.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Am I the only one who doesnt really like IPA's? To bitter for my taste.
Not at all, lots of people don't like IPAs. I'd say that a good IPA isn't just a big jug o' bitterness, it has citrusy and floral notes that you taste that really knock the bitterness down, like a touch of creamer in a coffee, but even then lots of folks are turned off by how bitter it is.

For them, if they're looking for great beers, I'd steer towards something like a Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat, which is sweet, refreshing and delicious - a great summer beer. Or a nice porter - Breckenridge Brewery in Colorado makes a vanilla porter that's unbelievable. Kinda depends on the weather.

Edit to add: If you want to try an IPA that's more complex than just bitterness, Long Trail Limbo IPA or Sixpoint Bengali are both really good beers. Not sure if they're available near you. Sculpin is really good (out of San Diego, available mostly nationwide), Sam Adams Latitude 32 IPA is really good, Anchor Steam is a classic, although not strictly an IPA.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Nice. Ever consider doing beer trades with folks in other regions - say, New England? Got a bunch of fantastic breweries up this way... Long Trail, Sixpoint, Clown Shoes, Cambridge Brewing Company, Harpoon, etc. I'd like to try some can't-get-outside-Texas brews.

The answer is YES
I'd love to

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The answer is YES
I'd love to
Haha, awesome. I just shipped two 4-packs of Heady Topper to CA; guy's sending me back some Pliny and some Damnation. Let me know if there's something specific you want me to send and we can set up some nice trades.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Haha, awesome. I just shipped two 4-packs of Heady Topper to CA; guy's sending me back some Pliny and some Damnation. Let me know if there's something specific you want me to send and we can set up some nice trades.

Nice!!! absolutely. That Heady Topper looks really good. Thanks for giving my life purpose

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Nice!!! absolutely. That Heady Topper looks really good. Thanks for giving my life purpose
Heady can be a challenge to get; have to drive 3.5 hours to Vermont and back to get it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Heady can be a challenge to get; have to drive 3.5 hours to Vermont and back to get it.

How about we plan to "curate" the best of our local brews. I'm sending you the best of Austin ales - select beers I know you can't get up there!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Is there any red tape to negotiate in shipping alcohol across state lines? You know, like Smokey and the Bandit smuggling Coors east across the Mississippi? ;)

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Is there any red tape to negotiate in shipping alcohol across state lines? You know, like Smokey and the Bandit smuggling Coors east across the Mississippi? ;)
You can't send it USPS. Like Dieter said, I call it "Yeast samples" and send FedEx or UPS.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
How about we plan to "curate" the best of our local brews. I'm sending you the best of Austin ales - select beers I know you can't get up there!
Sounds good to me. I could put together a pack with some Jack's Abby, Pretty Things, Maine Beer Co. and Cambridge Brewing Company. All make great stuff. Also Clown Shoes is near me, and they make some amazing beers... Muffin Top is really good, and I'm going to track down some Zombie Party Crasher whenever I can.

cracengl

Rookie

I've wanted to try some Heady Topper. I've read opinions that favor it over Pliny. I'm kind of a phase beer drinker. Right now I'm digging IPAs, but I'll probably go back to dark beer at some point too. That said, I wonder if something like Pliny wouldn't be too over the top. I went to a beer festival a couple years back that was pouring Dogfish Head 120 minute and it was a bit overkill for me. That said, I had some 60 minute last night and some Bell's Two Hearted a couple weeks ago that were insanely good. I guess it just depends.

I'm not sure there are too many Georgia/Tennessee brews that you can't get, but if there are let me know. I wouldn't mind trading a few brews too.