Miss State LB Benardrick McKinney is visiting Rams today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Pauline: LB McKinney visiting the Rams Tues
133192.jpg

Miss State LB Benardrick McKinney is visiting the Rams on Tuesday, according to Tony Pauline.

The Rams could use a linebacker like McKinney, as we think their players are the position are some of the more overrated ones in the NFL. McKinney is a no nonsense defender, wanting to play at the line of scrimmage with aggression. However, he can absolutely falter when sucked in on play action and tends to struggle with recovery.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Apr 14 - 10:16 AM

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Overview
Benardrick McKinney, the experienced and seasoned inside linebacker from Mississippi St., enters the 2015 NFL Draft after suiting up for a total of 39 games (36 starts) as a Bulldog. During that time, he managed to rack up 244 tackles, 19.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks. In 2014, McKinney totaled 71 tackles, 8 TFL and 3 sacks. He was recognized as a First Team All-American and First Team All-SEC at season’s end. Physically, McKinney possesses very good measurables for an inside linebacker prospect. At 6’4” with 33” arms, he’s a long guy who can deceptively cover more ground than his field speed suggests. He’s a physical player who packs a good pop at the POA; He fires through his hips on contact leading to jarring and jolting hits on the ballcarrier or opposing offensive lineman. Athletically, he lacks top-tier movement skills and at times can look lost in space, but he possesses solid instincts and a generally sound first step to the ball that helps overcome some of his natural shortcomings. McKinney is quick to diagnose the play’s aiming point and is effective and efficient with the steps he takes to fill the hole and make a play. There are times when McKinney can be fooled or is caught guessing, but overall, his instincts are sound. He’s a real thumper who welcomes contact. McKinney is best when run at and when playing in a phone booth; He’s tough and physical and enjoys fighting and clawing to make the play. He’s strong through the lower body and can hold up well versus inside power plays; He can take on blocks to clog the hole as well as shed to make a play on the ball. McKinney struggles a bit on outside plays, as there are times when he is a tick late and he fails to finish the tackle from behind; He appears to be in position to bring the runner to the ground, but far too often the back or quarterback is able to break free from his grasp at their legs/ankles (from behind). In the passing game, McKinney is a competent player when dropping into his zone. He reads the quarterback well and reacts properly to the intended target. That said, he’s simply not fluid enough and doesn’t have the kind of quick-twitch athleticism to suggest that he’ll be able to stick with a running back or athletic tight end. While I don’t think he’s a liability in coverage, he certainly won’t be a defensive unit’s strongest player on passing downs. He may offer his most value as an inside blitzer or as a rusher off the edge.

BOTTOM LINE: Benardrick McKinney enjoyed a lot of success in college football’s toughest conference, and he looks the part of an eventual starting ILB in a 34 scheme. He’ll be an asset as a physical, interior run defender that is capable of making the occasional play as a pass rusher on 3rd downs. McKinney is the kind of player that doesn’t ‘wow’ you on tape, but it’s very hard to find aspects of his game that make you worry about his ability to have a long and productive NFL career. He doesn’t flash the kind of athleticism or “juice” that a first-round prospect should. That said, he’ll be a good get in round two with the upside to start sooner than later in his career.

GRADE: 7.5 (2nd round)

-Submitted by Bryan Perez (@FirstRoundGrade)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Third round maybe?

As long as they land some good Olinemen, I don't really care. McKinney seems like a depth guy with the current makeup of the LB corps. I actually thought he looked more like a 3/4 LBer. I am surprised by the interest a bit because most projections have him as a second rounder. That is a little high for a one dimensional LBer.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ugh...how many more prospects like this are they going to see before they figure out that they can't play? Benardrick McKinney = poor man's Aaron Curry.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Ugh...how many more prospects like this are they going to see before they figure out that they can't play? Benardrick McKinney = poor man's Aaron Curry.

Are there any prospects that you actually like in this draft?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He and Anthony are my favorite LB picks, to back-up JL!

I'm an Anthony fan also. Really like Dawson also but attitude worries me. He is a first round talent that may go as late as the 3rd based on the mocks I have seen

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm an Anthony fan also. Really like Dawson also but attitude worries me. He is a first round talent that may go as late as the 3rd based on the mocks I have seen

Dawson is a top twenty pick in this draft without character issues. I'd love to get him in the third.

But then again, I'm supposed to hate everyone, right? :p

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McKinny will be attending the draft in Chicago