Vikings at Rams | Pre-Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Just a few general thoughts. I think defensively first and foremost we need to limit AP. Our D is light years ahead of the 2012 D, talent-wise and experience-wise. If we can limit Peterson's yardage on the first 2 downs, we can take him out of the game. In the past he's come out on 3rd down passing situations.

#2 concern is Rudolph, although JL has historically played good-great TEs pretty well. Limiting AP will eliminate the effectiveness of PA passes. Patterson looks to be primed for a breakout year, but is still raw. Just need to work on TACKLING him and AP. Also can't allow him to get over the top.

Having said all that about the Minny O, I think our DL will dictate much of what they are able to do on O (as it will in most games this year). A strong pass rush can make up for iffy coverage among the CBs. Having the DL as deep as it is, with fresh bodies constantly rotating in will be huge. Imo perpetrators like Langford and Donald will eat opposite Brock and his double teams, as will Dunbar. Also think TMac will be key around the LOS.

Offensively I'm not to worried about the Minny D, even with Hill starting. Of the handful of notable players in Griffin, Greenway, Munnerlyn, and Smith, none really alter games to the point where we need to gameplan around them. Not as stout as they were up the middle in years past w/Pat & Kevin Williams. We can run on them for 150+ which will open up PA. Imo Cookie could have a big day up the seams as will Austin underneath.

In regards to special teams they have a damn solid unit. Walsh is every bit as good as GZ and Patterson is a true threat at KR. We do have one of the best coverage units, and they'll have to bring their A game to limit Patterson and Sherels.

Ultimately I think we should win by 10+ if all goes well.

Prediction: Rams 27 Vikings 16

DISCUSS

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sticky this thread mods? I think its bout time we get our first 2014 Reg Season game thread started :banana:

jjab360

Legend
I think they have some young talent, but I think our DL is good enough to wreck almost any gameplan they can think of and they really have nobody for us to fear on defense after the loss of Jared Allen.

Rams win 28-13.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm really on the fence on this game ,IMO Petterson has potential to wreck it for us and our run defense has not inspired me so far , but I don't think we've seen much that is indicative of who we are defensively.
Glad we are home for this game ,I picked us to win in pickem so i won't split my vote ,I expect a close one and hope we can score enough to take Petterson out of the game that way.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I honestly believe we will destroy the Vikings. Yes, Bradford is out, but the Vikings might be the worst or one of the worst teams in the league. We will contain AP and Patterson is over-hyped. They have nothing else. NOTHING else.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Adrian Peterson. Adrian Peterson. Adrian Peterson.
You can stuff him behind the line of scrimmage 5 times in a row and then boom. He's gone. If the Rams lose any of their starting LBs to injury and Ray Ray has to play, then game over. Get ready for Tampa.

I'm interested in the Norv Turner vs. Greg Williams match-up. Williams is going to have to be creative covering veteran WR Greg Jennings when they move him down into the slot because I don't believe that Joyner can cover him. And come on Olgetree, McCleod, and McDonald, please don't make Kyle Rudolph into a superstar as Norv's offense uses the TEs quite a bit.

Jared Allen may be gone, but Everson Griffen looks up to the challenge of replacing him. My main concern is both Griffen and 1st rounder Anthony Barr running around Jake Long. Good speed rushers have given him problems, from time to time, even before his injuries.

And Patterson and Sherrels are the best return men combo that I can recall in some time. Coverage units have to be on their A game. I'd feel better if Greg "the Leg" would consistently kick the ball out of the endzone because Patterson can and has returned kicks well even if he has fielded them deep in the endzone.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Adrian Peterson. Adrian Peterson. Adrian Peterson.
You can stuff him behind the line of scrimmage 5 times in a row and then boom. He's gone. If the Rams lose any of their starting LBs to injury and Ray Ray has to play, then game over. Get ready for Tampa.

I'm interested in the Norv Turner vs. Greg Williams match-up. Williams is going to have to be creative covering veteran WR Greg Jennings when they move him down into the slot because I don't believe that Joyner can cover him. And come on Olgetree, McCleod, and McDonald, please don't make Kyle Rudolph into a superstar as Norv's offense uses the TEs quite a bit.

Jared Allen may be gone, but Everson Griffen looks up to the challenge of replacing him. My main concern is both Griffen and 1st rounder Anthony Barr running around Jake Long. Good speed rushers have given him problems, from time to time, even before his injuries.

And Patterson and Sherrels are the best return men combo that I can recall in some time. Coverage units have to be on their A game. I'd feel better if Greg "the Leg" would consistently kick the ball out of the endzone because Patterson can and has returned kicks well even if he has fielded them deep in the endzone.

Yeah taking this team lightly would be a mistake ,I'm sure we won't ,at home I think GZ does kick it OOTEZ ( out of the end zone ) I just hope we do a lot of kicking off

fearsomefour

Legend
AP and play action. Matt Cassel is not scary but he is not devoid of the ability to make throws either. I think the Rams D will be solid vs. the run and have no concern with the pass rush, the worry is the Dbacks.
Good tackling in the secondary will be key.
Im not sure the plan or optimism changes much without Bradford being in. My concern regarding the offense is Schotty not getting predicable in his play calling.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, let's hope the senior Williams (Gregg) does a better job of containing Peterson than the junior Williams (Blake) I like the Rams defensive line against Matt Cassel should be able to get some sacks. I am sure Zuerlein will be instructed to boot every kick off out of the end zone.

When the dust settles Rams 27-17 and Shaun Hill gets the game ball as he throws for 250 yards, two touch downs and no interceptions and we as a fan base get to live another day.