Mikell to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's a shame that we had to cut Mikell. He was a great guy to have on a football team, and I get the feeling that he'll still be productive elsewhere. I guess it's time for Stewart to show what he can really do (I hope to fate that we resign him.)

A55VA6

Legend
I'll definitely miss Mikell. Just confirmed that we have $15 million in cap space for free agents. Not a ton of money, but it'll get us something.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
A55VA6 said:
I'll definitely miss Mikell. Just confirmed that we have $15 million in cap space for free agents. Not a ton of money, but it'll get us something.
That could get us 3 starters.

duckhunter

Starter
BonifayRam said:
DR RAM said:
I'm just not that surprised. He is a one dimensional safety, and he played well after the first few games, where he played horrible, but he was overpaid to begin with....and Fisher wants interchangeable safeties. Mikkel can only play SS, he's too slow to cover anybody in space.

I agree with you about Mikell being one dimensional but his play inside @ the Box SS was good. His best came from his blitz & his ability to beat large blockers to the ball carrier going forward. Mikell is short did I say he was short? He was originally purchased to play deep free safety cuz the Rams had SS Craig Dahl & a young SS Darian Stewart. Having this high cost safety in Mikell meant he would be on the field & after his bad showing in 2011 @ FS he was moved to SS. Thus we got Dahl situation where Craig was forced to play FS. Stewart would have slid back to FS but his 2012 season was jammed packed with health issues, however Stewart had a very good first & second season when he started 13 games with as a Ram plus he nearly a decade younger than Mikell.

This Mikell action saves us @ least 3 mil & 10 mil in 2014 so this was the best move when you figure in that $$$ that's enough to entice a young UFA FS in here. I have read that the Mikell figure could be more savings..

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510</a>

Now I wonder if the Rams ever gave Stewart his RFA tender contact? If they retain Stewart & if DS is sound with 2nd yr SS Matt Daniels if he is sound could be solid enough youthful SS cadre to start off with. The real issue is @ Deep Free Safety where Rod McLeod is our only FS on the roster.

Mikel not being able to play FS at a high level in 2011 for sure upset the apple cart at safety. The sad thing about the Mikel situation is that it affected our three young SSs, Stewart, Dahl and Daniels. Daniels might be the only guy that survives. It still somewhat baffles me that Daniels wasn't drafted. Look forward to seeing him get some reps since guys are moving out of his way.

Simba

Rookie
X said:
Can't say I'm surprised, but I can say I'm disappointed.

[tweet]310946159134900226[/tweet]

Me too!I like him and I dislike Dahl.Now I hope we are firming Stewart, young, good price and simil Mickell player.So we need a starter from FA, but 33 years for Quintin are so many for a football player ... I'ts a good move if we think about next year salary cap!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
duckhunter said:
Mikel not being able to play FS at a high level in 2011 for sure upset the apple cart at safety. The sad thing about the Mikel situation is that it affected our three young SSs, Stewart, Dahl and Daniels. Daniels might be the only guy that survives. It still somewhat baffles me that Daniels wasn't drafted. Look forward to seeing him get some reps since guys are moving out of his way.

Matt Daniels was SS/FS type very effective leader in college. He was projected through out the draft nets that he would be a 4th or 5th round pick. When announced just before the draft that he would undergo a knee operation...true to form the safety just like many safeties gone before him dropped off the boards. While @ Duke he consistently ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash. You can read below some of what was written about him this time last year. He would seem to be a good back up @ safety once he has his knee back up to health.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1689443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1689443</a>

I am hoping to hear some news on SS Darian Stewart here shortly if anyone knows anything please advised. Oh yes hey Dr Ram being short will cause you some serious issues covering guys like those 6-6 ft TE's anyone remember what the pats forced us to do in the game in London? The Gronk has his best game of the 2012 season getting manned up with Mikell. Two TD's & 8 reception close to 150 yds mostly due to the SHORT Mikell coverage. That mismatch was not funny. Mr.Short Mikell is a mismatch when up against those 6-6 long armed TE's. Another tall 6-5 TE the Lions Pettigrew had his best game of the season when he went looking for the mismatch up against Mikell in the opening game. It was the forerunner to what we saw in London. If safety prospects like TJ McDonald & Zeke Motta fall into the third day of the draft (4th rd to 7th rd.)these taller 6-3 ft. safety's will catch Fishers eyes. He drafted the 6-1 Michael Griffin a few yrs back and he has been to the pro bowl more than a few times. Fisher likes his safeties a bit taller than the 5-9 1/2 Mikell.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149280/article/st-louis-rams-to-release-quintin-mikell-avoid-cap-hit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... id-cap-hit</a>

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:

Is that purely for FA's - has the Draft money been set aside? and what about our season contingency? I think we should keep about $7m aside...

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
The draft pool has been pegged at around $5Million....they also need to start storing away some money if they want to extend Saffold and for next years two first picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jimitroutboy said:
The draft pool has been pegged at around $5Million....they also need to start storing away some money if they want to extend Saffold and for next years two first picks.

Yep agree about storing some $$ but not on a injury prone missing major chunks of his last two season Saffold. I was thinking extensions with the likes of OLB Jo-Lunn Dunbar & DL'er Eugene Sims.

Saffold would be the third consideration but he would have to have break even 500 on healthy fourth year for even considering a big new 8 to 9 million contract that starting OLT's get these days ....even the broken Jake Long is demanding 11 million a year :loco: and he is getting serious nibbles for his services.

I would have to wait on Saffold :sure: :ahahah: till the end of the season to convince me to invest heavy. I would prefer to draft Lane Johnson @ #16 and provide myself with some serious leverage in preventing a career ending mistake :ohno: on a forced Saffold's extension. Dunbar came in very cheap when no one wanted to be a Ram & played much bigger ....... :notworthy: time to reward him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
[tweet]311122976655437824[/tweet]

Looks like they got someone, probably a good one, coming in day 1.

jap

Legend
I would think Fish wants at least one veteran starter at safety. (Mikell isn't much in coverage and Dahl isn't much period.) With a vet S onboard, we are more free to choose the best safety draftee whose skills fit our emerging defensive system.

duckhunter

Starter
BonifayRam said:
duckhunter said:

Matt Daniels was SS/FS type very effective leader in college. He was projected through out the draft nets that he would be a 4th or 5th round pick. When announced just before the draft that he would undergo a knee operation...true to form the safety just like many safeties gone before him dropped off the boards. While @ Duke he consistently ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash. You can read below some of what was written about him this time last year. He would seem to be a good back up @ safety once he has his knee back up to health.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1689443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... al/1689443</a>

I am hoping to hear some news on SS Darian Stewart here shortly if anyone knows anything please advised. Oh yes hey Dr Ram being short will cause you some serious issues covering guys like those 6-6 ft TE's anyone remember what the pats forced us to do in the game in London? The Gronk has his best game of the 2012 season getting manned up with Mikell. Two TD's & 8 reception close to 150 yds mostly due to the SHORT Mikell coverage. That mismatch was not funny. Mr.Short Mikell is a mismatch when up against those 6-6 long armed TE's. Another tall 6-5 TE the Lions Pettigrew had his best game of the season when he went looking for the mismatch up against Mikell in the opening game. It was the forerunner to what we saw in London. If safety prospects like TJ McDonald & Zeke Motta fall into the third day of the draft (4th rd to 7th rd.)these taller 6-3 ft. safety's will catch Fishers eyes. He drafted the 6-1 Michael Griffin a few yrs back and he has been to the pro bowl more than a few times. Fisher likes his safeties a bit taller than the 5-9 1/2 Mikell.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149280/article/st-louis-rams-to-release-quintin-mikell-avoid-cap-hit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... id-cap-hit</a>

Ask and you shall receive. Darian Stewart was tendered a one-year contract. Between him and Daniels I'm not so concerned with Mikel leaving. The FS position has been the problem since Atogwe left. Both are fine SSs in the run game and might actually be an improvement over Mikel's 33yo legs and small stature in the passing game.

If not a FA FS, then two draftees such Swearinger, Thomas and Rambo. I have no idea whether snisher likes the Vacarro kid. Heck, even Duke Williams makes sense at FS because of his cover skills.

Plenty of options for the long term.

to begin with o

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Speeps said:
Saving 10 mil next year with this move is also great, because if the Rams wanted to sign a free agent this year, they can give them a heavier cap hit next year.

This.

Demoff isn't a back-load guy, but this strategy fits his MO.

And... the $6M saving this year goes straight to the bottom line... which if I owned the Rams would be just as important as the cap savings, if not more in this case.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A55VA6 said:
I feel like Daniels has a chance to be real solid. I like him.
I do too.

Looks like a complete overhaul of the secondary will be complete by this summer.

CB
C.Finnegan
J.Jenkins
T.Johnson
B.Fletcher(?)

S
D.Stewart
M.Daniels
?
?