Mike Tomlin: Read-option is “flavor of the month”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/mike-tomlin-read-option-is-flavor-of-the-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... the-month/</a>

Count Steelers coach Mike Tomlin among those who thinks that the read-option offense is less a revolution than a blip on the screen.

Tomlin was asked about the proliferation of offenses that run plays out of read-option schemes in Phoenix on Tuesday and said he was a skeptic because of the amount of hits quarterbacks wind up taking when they run the ball more frequently. Tomlin admitted that his opinion could be proven wrong, however.

“I think the read-option is the flavor of the month. We’ll see whether it’s the flavor of the year. A few years ago, people were talking wildly about the Wildcat. It’s less of a discussion now,” Tomlin said, via Jarrett Bell of USA Today. ”I think there are coaches in rooms preparing themselves to defend it, there are coaches in rooms also preparing to run it. I think it’s going to sort out on the grass.”

That last bit is the most important, regardless of whether or not you think read-option schemes will prove to have more staying factor than the Wildcat. The Wildcat stopped working well because defenses prepared for it and stopped it. If they didn’t, it wouldn’t have been a flavor of the month and the same is true of the read-option. It will be in fashion for exactly as long as it keeps helping teams win games.
Posted by Josh Alper

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thanks for posting this Gibson.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:

You got it cgi.Read option is a career shortening offense.i.e RG111

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
So True. I'm willing to bet there will be some teams who saw Washington, seattle, and san francisco, run a version of the Read-Option want to try and duplicate it which means they will draft to it. You know Chip Kelly will at Philly. Reminds me of the "Wildcat." Teams tried to duplicate it, defenses figured out how to defend it and now you don't see offenses running it anymore. IMO, this is just another "Fad."

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's exactly as I see it, I even compared it to the Wildcat... It'll be done soon enough. Fisher already beat it more than once last year, in fact we made those QB's look downright stupid at times.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
That's exactly as I see it, I even compared it to the Wildcat... It'll be done soon enough. Fisher already beat it more than once last year, in fact we made those QB's look downright stupid at times.

Man it's nice to have a quality coaching staff for once.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
gibsonvillenc said:
CGI_Ram said:

You got it cgi.Read option is a career shortening offense.i.e RG111

Bingo. So let SF and Seattle gear up for it to be a major part of their offense. :sly:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
bluecoconuts said:

Fish has always been good at dismantling gimmicks

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
gibsonvillenc said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/mike-tomlin-read-option-is-flavor-of-the-month/

Count Steelers coach Mike Tomlin among those who thinks that the read-option offense is less a revolution than a blip on the screen.

Tomlin was asked about the proliferation of offenses that run plays out of read-option schemes in Phoenix on Tuesday and said he was a skeptic because of the amount of hits quarterbacks wind up taking when they run the ball more frequently. Tomlin admitted that his opinion could be proven wrong, however.

“I think the read-option is the flavor of the month. We’ll see whether it’s the flavor of the year. A few years ago, people were talking wildly about the Wildcat. It’s less of a discussion now,” Tomlin said, via Jarrett Bell of USA Today. ”I think there are coaches in rooms preparing themselves to defend it, there are coaches in rooms also preparing to run it. I think it’s going to sort out on the grass.”

That last bit is the most important, regardless of whether or not you think read-option schemes will prove to have more staying factor than the Wildcat. The Wildcat stopped working well because defenses prepared for it and stopped it. If they didn’t, it wouldn’t have been a flavor of the month and the same is true of the read-option. It will be in fashion for exactly as long as it keeps helping teams win games.
Posted by Josh Alper

I totally agree with Tomlin. That's the same sort of things I've said.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The way to beat those guys, just make them throw the ball. There's a reason they are running the option, because they're not very good passers.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
gibsonvillenc said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/mike-tomlin-read-option-is-flavor-of-the-month/

Posted by Josh Alper

Tomlin is my favorite non-Rams coach. I completely agree with him on this topic.

IMO you're gonna see a HUGE sophomore slump from Russel Wilson, in particular.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HE WITH HORNS said:
The way to beat those guys, just make them throw the ball. There's a reason they are running the option, because they're not very good passers.

And that's the kicker... get one of these guys who can actually pass the ball and they are dangerous.

It's what Vick never had going for him.

That said...

I will say this; RG3 strikes me as an effective passer. While Kaeperdick and Wilson get a lot of headlines (and RG3 makes me nauseated) RG3... if he can stay healthy... is the best of the lot.

I just think he (RG3) will get beat up and never live up to it. His frame is too light.