Mike Tomlin. Has no fear calling Refs out.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Mike Tomlin: NFL must assess refs

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...oan-missed-call-kansas-city-chiefs-fg-attempt

PITTSBURGH -- A missed call that may have kept the Pittsburgh Steelers out of the playoffs didn't leave coach Mike Tomlin bemoaning what could have been.

But Tomlin said the NFL needs to take a hard look at officiating during the offseason and consider measures to improve it, including making referees full-time employees of the league.

Tomlin is a member of the NFL competition committee, which considers and proposes rules changes or new rules every year to improve the quality of play and make the game safer.

"Obviously, there's a lot of work [to do] from an officiating standpoint," Tomlin said Monday during his season-ending news conference. "I think it's been well-documented in the last several weeks, not only in stadiums we've played in, but others [too].

"I always want to be someone that's part of the solution as opposed to someone that's complaining and moaning about the problem. I intend to roll my sleeves up and offer any insight I can in making [the league] the very best it can be moving forward."

Tomlin was asked whether he thought referees should be full-time employees.

"I think that and other things are up for discussion," Tomlin said.

The Steelers would have secured the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs had Kansas City Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop made a 41-yard field goal at the end of regulation Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

Succop missed the kick by mere inches, but the Chargers should have been penalized for having seven players on one side of the snapper, a 5-yard penalty that would have given Succop a second chance, this time from 36 yards. The Chargers kicked a field goal in overtime to win 27-24 and claim the last remaining spot in the AFC playoffs.

Following the lead of their coach, the Steelers players blamed themselves and not a referee for missing the playoffs, Scott Brown writes. Blog

The league released a statement Monday morning acknowledging the missed call -- teams are not allowed to have more than six players on one side of the snapper during field goal attempts -- and it has also contacted Tomlin about it.

"Those guys do a great job of communicating during difficult times, and I appreciate that," Tomlin said. "But it doesn't change what transpired."

Tomlin had been watching the Chiefs-Chargers game and said he noticed that San Diego was in an illegal formation even before Succop attempted the 41-yard field goal.

When asked if he yelled at the TV before the snap, Tomlin said, "I'll leave that between myself, my sons and our basement."

Tomlin indicated that he will be plenty vocal during the competition committee meetings that take place during the offseason. But he also made it clear that the Steelers have only themselves to blame for missing the playoffs following an 8-8 season.

"I'm not looking to assess blame on anybody else about our current position other than ourselves," Tomlin said.

The Steelers had their first 0-4 start since 1968, and Tomlin said he was pleased with how the players overcame adversity this season.

"I think the overwhelming feeling as I sit here right now is just a great deal of pride in the group, and their willingness to stick together and their ability to maintain focus and improve over the course of the season," he said.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Credit to a high profile coach like Tomlin for smoothly handling getting screwed over by the lousy refs. It's so bad this year I want the replacements back.

It's disgraceful that a "partner" of the NFL is allowed to continually perform poorly with very little to no repercussion and accountability. This is a union run amok.

They need more guys on the field watching, and way more training, and it won't happen as long as there is a union.

iced

Love Tomlin's bluntness. Wish we had more people in the world and more coaches like that.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
I wouldn't mind if fish started calling out the refs for the bs calls that seem to always swing our way

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Its easy to call out the refs when you play for one of the leagues "darling" teams. The Stealers, and yes, I spelled that correctly, have nothing to fear for whatever they do.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd like to see more video used to supplement the calls on the field. They cannot see things as well as the camera and there is no reason communications to the head referee can't be quick and seemless. If they want to make it work it can but the people on the field can't be over ruling what the camera shows. There should have been 20 holding calls on the Seahawks against Quinn, if the league is concerned about the integrity of the game that kind of nonsense needs to stop.

duckhunter

Starter
My sport was BBall and I quit it and never went back. Laugh at it to this day.

I quit baseball for 10 years but went back when they reined in the umpires.

If football can't be fair and impartial, I'll quit it also.

I'm big on curling and horseshoes.

My sport was BBall and I quit it and never went back. Laugh at it to this day.

I quit baseball for 10 years but went back when they reined in the umpires.

If football can't be fair and impartial, I'll quit it also.

I'm big on curling and horseshoes.

This. If the bull shit continues on into next season I'll have no problem sticking with college football only, don't get me wrong they still get judgment calls wrong but I'm rarely left wondering if they are corrupt. The NCAA it self is another matter but at least they don't ruin the enjoyment of the game.