Mike Thomas - Y/C Average & TDs among top WR prospects in class of '16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA Rampant

UDFA
Below numbers most recent 2015 season (not career averages)
Positional draft order, Name, Draft Pedigree (Y/C Average & TDs)

#1) Corey Coleman - 1.15 (18.4 & 20 TDs)
#2) Will Fuller - 1.21 (20.3 & 14) less than 65 receptions (62)
#3) Josh Doctson - 1.22 (17.0 & 14)
#4) Laquon Treadwell - 1.23 (14.1 & 11)
#5) Sterling Shepard - 2.9 (15.0 & 11)
#6) Michael Thomas - 2.16 (13.9 & 9)
#7) Tyler Boyd - 2.24 (10.2 & 6)

(#13 Pharoh Cooper* 4th, #20 Rashard Higgins 5th & #21 MoBo 6th)

Led all FBS WRs in Y/C average (more than 65 receptions)
#25) Mike Thomas - 6.31 (19.6 & 14)
upload_2016-5-15_21-57-56.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Gkz5wleJo

* Another LA-based Cooper who was a critically important role player, tough, physical, fearless, competitive in the air and finished *STRONG*

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0dhCJ9030

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7K-oa2bDFY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2AGfRaLW5c

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Ya, I am pretty excited about this guy. Actually excited to see several of the new WRs, but this guy in particular.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
idk how mike thomas was the 25th wr taken. blasphemous

Me neither. He is a little inexperienced but the way he can go get the ball, and run after the catch makes me wonder what the NFL doesn't like about him. I don't see the downside to the is guy, that would make him a 6th round pick.

Maybe he is the Rams next TJ Gaines. It felt the same way when the Rams picked Gaines the year before.

LA Rampant

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No idea why he wasn't invited to the combine, but given that, it is a severe hindrance to getting wider scouting recognition. I was watching NFL Films Top 10 draft classes, and the PIT class with Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster was #1 (CHI getting Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus with consecutive top 5 picks was a great one, too). Reportedly PIT squatted on Stallworth's film rather than return it to the small school scouting film library, which some think contributed to his lack of notoriety and falling to the fourth round (HC Chuck Knoll wanted to take him in the first), and ultimately, that backbreaking second half 73 yard TD pass in the Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl which I attended. DOH!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGTCOCi4ec

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
You just had to play that Stallworth video, didn't you?! Every time I see it I still hope Rod Perry times his leap better and bats it down. Doesn't help. Perry ends up on the ground watching Stallworth run to the house. Every time.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I don't study much pre draft like many of you, but I'm excited that somehow Thomas fell to the Rams in the sixth. We finally have a lot of talent at that position. Along with Goff. Our talent at tight end. Our young o-line. Gurley.

What's not to like?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Me neither. He is a little inexperienced but the way he can go get the ball, and run after the catch makes me wonder what the NFL doesn't like about him. I don't see the downside to the is guy, that would make him a 6th round pick.

Maybe he is the Rams next TJ Gaines. It felt the same way when the Rams picked Gaines the year before.

ya me too. when we got gaines I thought maybe it was a different EJ Gaines, or I had his first name wrong, but when I saw it was Gaines from Mizzu I couldnt believe he lasted to the 6th. Thought he was a 4th rounder at worst like mike thomas. hopefully they both work out long term

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
idk how mike thomas was the 25th wr taken. blasphemous
That's the $100,000 question, huh? What was it that scared teams off???? Runs a 4.5...great film...we should keep an eye on his learning curve...I have the strange suspicion he doesn't speak Spanish very well....

LA Rampant

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the $100,000 question, huh? What was it that scared teams off???? Runs a 4.5...great film...we should keep an eye on his learning curve...I have the strange suspicion he doesn't speak Spanish very well....

Level of competition? Already noted non-combine invite couldn't have helped him.

Other team's loss our gain. :)

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sure this question has been asked in other threads but with his production and numbers in college along with his measurable... why did he last so long? Bad student of the game? Wonder what his wonderlic was....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Level of competition?
Not exactly....they found Jerry Rice...they find a bunch of wrs from the smaller divisions....What's that guy at Az? John Brown...They do it with regularity now...Hell, Quick looked nothing like him on film and they found him.....

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'm sure this question has been asked in other threads but with his production and numbers in college along with his measurable... why did he last so long? Bad student of the game? Wonder what his wonderlic was....

I heard he was dating Mantai Teo's girlfriend.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Must have been something that NFL scouts didn't like. He's raw but he's talented.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe Teams just got the two "Mike Thomas's" confused!!:rolllaugh::D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hope he speaks enough to get on the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe Teams just got the two "Mike Thomas's" confused!!
Not sure how...this one is beastly.
View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Rookie-Profile-Mike-Thomas/f29620ee-ee90-474a-be75-b1dfa1286c22

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Thomas-Brings-Big-Play-Ability-to-LA/b342c49c-b0b0-480a-9663-6e1d9503b948

Following their blockbuster trade up to No. 1 overall, the Rams entered the 2016 NFL Draft with only five picks in the seven-round event. But a trade back from No. 113 to No. 117 brought Los Angeles No. 206 from Chicago. And that could turn out to be a move with long-lasting, positive consequences.

The Rams finished out this year’s draft by picking up their fifth offensive player, wide receiver Mike Thomas. Known a strong outside threat who can stretch the field vertically, Thomas finished his 2015 season at Southern Miss with 71 receptions for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. That’s an average of 19.6 yards per catch, illustrating his penchant for big plays.

“That’s exactly it. Obviously, he probably was on ESPN a couple times for top 10 plays, at least one Saturday in the fall,” general manager Les Snead said. “The La. Tech catch for sure.”

Snead’s referring to a reception Thomas made in late November, as Southern Miss defeated Louisiana Tech, 58-24, to clinch the Conference-USA West division title. Thomas had seven receptions for 162 yards and one special touchdown catch.

With just over 10 minutes left in the second quarter, Thomas made an Odell Beckham Jr.-esque one-handed grab in the end zone to give Southern Miss a 21-3 lead. It was a play that undoubtedly put Thomas on more teams’ radar.

“That play, my quarterback Nick Mullens, he gave me the look,” Thomas said during rookie orientation. “The team was blitzing anyway, so I knew it was coming to me. And I just told him, ‘Just throw it anywhere — I’m going to go get it.’ And he threw it out of my frame, and I just stretched my hand out and grabbed it.

“People were like, ‘Dang, are you surprised that you caught it?’” Thomas continued. “I was like, ‘No, I catch a lot of balls one-handed every day.’ So that was nothing new to me. It just happened in the game. And it was on TV.”

According to head coach Jeff Fisher, Thomas has the ability to uncover and make contested catches. Fisher said for some receivers, every pass is contested because they can’t get open.

“In his case, he gets open, but he can make the plays out of frame,” Fisher said. “So he’s got a chance. We’re looking forward to watching him compete against our defensive backs.”

Thomas is the kind of player who always looks like he’s having fun on the field. From celebrating touchdowns to dancing during warmups, Thomas carries himself in a way that shows his passion for the game.

“That comes from Chicago — that’s that Chicago swagger right there,” Thomas said. “Just coming from the city of Chicago, I just love to have fun.

“In high school, our football program wasn’t big. We didn’t have a lot of students, fans — none of that,” Thomas added, noting many times there were only 20 people at their games. “I still like to have fun while I’m playing. So that’s where the swagger comes from.”

As Thomas continues in the offseason program, he’s looking to master the L.A. offense as quickly as he can. After that, he feels everything will take care of itself.

“My first goal is to get the playbook down pat so I can play as fast as I can,” Thomas said. “That’s what I’m aiming for — just learning the playbook as fast as I can so once I learn the playbook, and play it fast, I know I’m going to make the team. I’m confident.”