Mike Thomas, Tyler Higbee look to move up Rams' depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33994/mike-thomas-tyler-higbee-look-to-move-up-rams-depth-chart

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Tavon Austin remained off to the side, running routes and catching tennis balls while wearing a guard on his surgically repaired left wrist, and Mike Thomas was on the field with his teammates, taking snaps with the Los Angeles Rams' first-team offense on Monday afternoon. The Rams have 17 pass-catchers on their roster, 14 of whom are heading into their first or second season in the NFL.

In other words, they're young at the position.

And while Austin and free-agent addition Robert Woods will serve as the two primary receivers, the Rams must still figure out how the second-year players will mix in with the rookies. It's an interesting dynamic because of the sheer volume, and it's fascinating because Sean McVay, the Rams' rookie coach, only hand-picked about half of them.

Suddenly a group that includes Pharoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee and Thomas, among others, is competing against Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds, all of whom were acquired in this year's draft.

Nelson Spruce, a ballyhooed undrafted free agent from 2016 who never stepped on the field. Thomas has been the one getting most of Austin's reps.

He believes he has made "tremendous growth" since his rookie season.

"My rookie year, I was a little hesitant," Thomas said. "I wasn’t feeling myself as far as playing fast. But now, I know what to expect."

Thomas, a sixth-round pick out of Southern Mississippi, made critical mistakes in the scant playing time he received last season. Against the Falcons in Week 14, he fumbled the opening kickoff. Against the Seahawks in Week 15, he dropped a well-placed deep pass from Jared Goff while wide open. But the Rams badly need a deep threat. At 5 foot 8, Austin may be too small and Reynolds may be too raw. Thomas could emerge in that role this season.

"I feel like they see my potential in this offense, and Coach Bones [special teams coordinator John Fassel] sees my potential on special teams," Thomas said. "You can’t really define a player off his mistakes; you've just got to define him off how he comes back from those mistakes. I feel like I came back pretty well, and I didn’t let that get to me. Last year, my rookie year, I feel like I got all my mistakes in on the field. I got them out of the way."

Thomas is among 12 receivers; Higbee is among five pass-catching tight ends.

Higbee's primary competition is Everett, the 44th overall pick who built a name for himself as an athletic pass-catcher who can stretch the deep middle of the field. Higbee, a fourth-round pick out of Western Kentucky in 2016, seemed destined for a primary role in Jeff Fisher's offense last summer. But the 6-foot-6, 257-pound Higbee was targeted only seven times in the first seven games and only 29 times all season.

"It was a coaching decision," Higbee said. "Whatever they thought was best, that’s what they did."

In the offseason, the Rams thought it best to let veteran Lance Kendricks leave via free agency and stay young at tight end. Temarrick Hemingway, a sixth-round pick in last year's draft, and Travis Wilson, the former Utah quarterback who recently made the transition to tight end, could factor into the mix. But it figures to be mainly Higbee and Everett at the position, and both could play a big role.

"You see what Coach McVay’s done in Washington with those tight ends," Higbee said, alluding to a 2016 Redskins team that led the NFL in tight end receiving yards. "He had two great guys with Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed over there. Not saying we have a Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis over here, but I think we’re going to be all right.
"

Psycho_X

Legend
Tavon is probably safe for one more season but plenty of people for him and his contract to look over their shoulder at now. One thing is for sure, everyone will have at least one WR get cut this preseason who they think should make the roster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33994/mike-thomas-tyler-higbee-look-to-move-up-rams-depth-chart

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Tavon Austin remained off to the side, running routes and catching tennis balls while wearing a guard on his surgically repaired left wrist, and Mike Thomas was on the field with his teammates, taking snaps with the Los Angeles Rams' first-team offense on Monday afternoon. The Rams have 17 pass-catchers on their roster, 14 of whom are heading into their first or second season in the NFL.

In other words, they're young at the position.

And while Austin and free-agent addition Robert Woods will serve as the two primary receivers, the Rams must still figure out how the second-year players will mix in with the rookies. It's an interesting dynamic because of the sheer volume, and it's fascinating because Sean McVay, the Rams' rookie coach, only hand-picked about half of them.

Suddenly a group that includes Pharoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee and Thomas, among others, is competing against Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds, all of whom were acquired in this year's draft.

Nelson Spruce, a ballyhooed undrafted free agent from 2016 who never stepped on the field. Thomas has been the one getting most of Austin's reps.

He believes he has made "tremendous growth" since his rookie season.

"My rookie year, I was a little hesitant," Thomas said. "I wasn’t feeling myself as far as playing fast. But now, I know what to expect."

Thomas, a sixth-round pick out of Southern Mississippi, made critical mistakes in the scant playing time he received last season. Against the Falcons in Week 14, he fumbled the opening kickoff. Against the Seahawks in Week 15, he dropped a well-placed deep pass from Jared Goff while wide open. But the Rams badly need a deep threat. At 5 foot 8, Austin may be too small and Reynolds may be too raw. Thomas could emerge in that role this season.

"I feel like they see my potential in this offense, and Coach Bones [special teams coordinator John Fassel] sees my potential on special teams," Thomas said. "You can’t really define a player off his mistakes; you've just got to define him off how he comes back from those mistakes. I feel like I came back pretty well, and I didn’t let that get to me. Last year, my rookie year, I feel like I got all my mistakes in on the field. I got them out of the way."

Thomas is among 12 receivers; Higbee is among five pass-catching tight ends.

Higbee's primary competition is Everett, the 44th overall pick who built a name for himself as an athletic pass-catcher who can stretch the deep middle of the field. Higbee, a fourth-round pick out of Western Kentucky in 2016, seemed destined for a primary role in Jeff Fisher's offense last summer. But the 6-foot-6, 257-pound Higbee was targeted only seven times in the first seven games and only 29 times all season.

"It was a coaching decision," Higbee said. "Whatever they thought was best, that’s what they did."

In the offseason, the Rams thought it best to let veteran Lance Kendricks leave via free agency and stay young at tight end. Temarrick Hemingway, a sixth-round pick in last year's draft, and Travis Wilson, the former Utah quarterback who recently made the transition to tight end, could factor into the mix. But it figures to be mainly Higbee and Everett at the position, and both could play a big role.

"You see what Coach McVay’s done in Washington with those tight ends," Higbee said, alluding to a 2016 Redskins team that led the NFL in tight end receiving yards. "He had two great guys with Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed over there. Not saying we have a Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis over here, but I think we’re going to be all right.
"
JMO But Thomas needs to prove to me he hasn't got hands like Bricks, and Higbee, at this point, doesn't overly impress me. I want to see what Everett brings to the table!!(y):popcorn::shades:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm really starting to get hyped up about Thomas this year. He's probably the most physically gifted WR on the roster if he got the rookie jitters out of the way he may lock up a spot behind Woods and Austin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Against the Seahawks in Week 15, he dropped a well-placed deep pass from Jared Goff while wide open.
Oh these silly writers....decently placed....I'll go with that.

I guess everyone can stop with the Mike Thomas is getting cut talk.
JMO But Thomas needs to prove to me he hasn't got hands like Bricks
That means you too Dave....LOLOLOL

One thing is for sure, everyone will have at least one WR get cut this preseason who they think should make the roster.
Cooper, Spruce, or North....who's getting cut? JK....Bradley in there for North...choose one.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JMO But Thomas needs to prove to me he hasn't got hands like Bricks, and Higbee, at this point, doesn't overly impress me. I want to see what Everett brings to the table!!(y):popcorn::shades:
That's the issue with Thomas, hopefully he can turn it around. I'm actually expecting a big improvement from Higbee. He struggled his rookie season, drops and poor blocking, but TEs generally have trouble in their rookie year. Which is also the reason I'm tempering my expectations on Everette.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas has been getting a lot of hype. I hope he really focuses and doens't drop balls this season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That "hype" Thomas is getting from McVay might only be to instill confidence. He has yet to prove he can run precise routes and be reliable catching the ball. Reynolds is raw and has yet to grow into that long lanky frame. Remains to be seen if he can deal with NFL sized DB's

I reserve judgement on most of the WR's until I see them line up and perform against NFL competition. I don't think the WR corp. will be set until after the last pre season game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Oh these silly writers....decently placed....I'll go with that.

I guess everyone can stop with the Mike Thomas is getting cut talk.That means you too Dave....LOLOLOL

Cooper, Spruce, or North....who's getting cut? JK....Bradley in there for North...choose one.

Cooper. traded for a conditional pick for a team needing a punt returner.

Austin
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Spruce

Covers all areas and you can add Shakeir Ryan to the Practice Squad.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas has been getting a lot of hype. I hope he really focuses and doens't drop balls this season.
I don't trust him....How many rookie WR's with suspect hands ever develop into something special? Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, Flipper Anderson...these guys immediately flashed as wr's out of the gate. For this reason, I don't really trust any of the guys from last year, including gadget guy Austin.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our neighborhood Goff basher shows his face again.

i understand the sentiment but he's right on this occasion. it wasn't a well placed ball at all. a well placed ball would have been in front of him so he could run under it. a decent placed ball is somewhere near him, which is what occurred. he had to slow down, turn backwards and catch the ball behind him. sure it was an easy catch but he heard footsteps and muffed the catch. a couple of more yards on the throw and it's a easy td.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's one of those "intangibles" you can't create except in real game situations. "He heard footsteps" is a real good one.

Which guys are going to cringe and which guys are going to get their back up and keep going for it? Who's going to shake off getting their bell rung and run the same route the next play? Who's got game when the going gets tough? Who's willing to go up and get it over the middle, knowing full well you're going to get clocked?

All this conjecture over OTA"s don't mean squat. WR group won't be decided til last pre season game.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Thomas is going to Surprise a lot of people this year! I really like him!

Thomas + Reynolds has PROMISING deep field opportunities written all over it. While he had drops, I feel like they're concentration drops due to being a rookie. BOTH Receivers have a knack for Odell Beckham type of catches and "TO-THE-HOUSE" abilities.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
There's one of those "intangibles" you can't create except in real game situations. "He heard footsteps" is a real good one.

Which guys are going to cringe and which guys are going to get their back up and keep going for it? Who's going to shake off getting their bell rung and run the same route the next play? Who's got game when the going gets tough? Who's willing to go up and get it over the middle, knowing full well you're going to get clocked?

All this conjecture over OTA"s don't mean squat. WR group won't be decided til last pre season game.

Thomas has that. I mean he was one of our star Special Teamers. I doubt he's afraid of contact.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i understand the sentiment but he's right on this occasion. it wasn't a well placed ball at all. a well placed ball would have been in front of him so he could run under it. a decent placed ball is somewhere near him, which is what occurred. he had to slow down, turn backwards and catch the ball behind him. sure it was an easy catch but he heard footsteps and muffed the catch. a couple of more yards on the throw and it's a easy td.

Nah. When you are that wide open, QBs often out a little more air under the ball. He catches it, there ain't no one catching him. A receiver has to catch the ball there. That doesn't mean he won't catch it next time. But that is on the receiver.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah. When you are that wide open, QBs often out a little more air under the ball. He catches it, there ain't no one catching him. A receiver has to catch the ball there. That doesn't mean he won't catch it next time. But that is on the receiver.

of course it was. but the argument here is that the article stated it was a well placed ball and @LACHAMP46 said it was a decent placed ball. i have to side with champ here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
of course it was. but the argument here is that the article stated it was a well placed ball and @LACHAMP46 said it was a decent placed ball. i have to side with champ here.

Guess I don't see the point. We all know Champ's view of Goff.

Not sure how many rookies would have placed that ball any different. That missed opportunity is on the receiver - not the placement of the pass.

I don't think it shows the talent level of either player. But that same pass in that same situation gets caught probably 90% of the time.