Mike Tanier: Rams must start Goff immediately, or else

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...en-rams-must-go-goff-raiders-on-a-roll/page/2

Case Keenum's blooper reel is turning into an entire half-hour episode of NFL Follies.

Keenum had the ball poked right out of his hands and into the air by Thomas Davis during a sack in Sunday's 13-10 Rams loss to the Panthers. Luckily, Benny Cunningham caught the fumble to prevent a disaster.

Keenum threw a simple rollout pass in the second quarter that was so far off-target that boos rained down from the Los Angeles Coliseum crowd. "Tyler Higbee was within the hemisphere," announcer Kevin Burkhardt quipped, trying to identify the intended receiver.

Keenum wound up to throw a pass in the fourth quarter, changed his mind for some reason, switched hands and shot-putted a left-handed throw to Benny-on-the-Spot Cunningham.

Maybe Keenum heard the crowd calling for Tim Tebow and wanted to give them a southpaw thrill. What he could not give them was a win. On a day when the Rams defense so dominated the Panthers that any competent quarterback would have engineered a win, the Rams lost.

How much more of Keenum are Rams fans, football lovers and sane human beings expected to take?

Now is not the time to start Goff. Last month was the time to start Goff. After the four-interception London catastrophe and bye week was the time to start Goff. Now is long, long past the time to start Goff.

There is no good football reason to keep Goff on the bench. Oh, there are plenty of plausible-sounding-but-bad football reasons. Emily Kaplan itemized them in a recent MMQB feature: He's learning footwork and terminology, learning how to read defenses, adjusting from an Air Raid college offense with fewer adjustments and variables than the offense the Rams hypothetically run, and so forth.

Piffle, poppycock and balderdash. These are the same things every rookie quarterback must learn. None of them are left moldering on the bench while a third-string-caliber veteran pretends to be a switch-pitcher.

Either Goff is spectacularly unready, even by the standards of rookie quarterbacks, or the Rams have no idea how to properly develop him. Goff did not look spectacularly unready leaving Cal, no one on the Rams coaching staff has developed a quarterback in this millennium, and Kaplan quotes Rams coaches stating that they won't change their offensive scheme (masterpiece that it is) to acclimate the rookie. So this mystery of whether Goff or Jeff Fisher's staff is the problem doesn't seem all that hard to solve.

The Rams need to start Goff immediately. If he really cannot outperform Keenum, then it's an indictment of the brain trust that traded up to acquire him, one that should cost all of them their jobs. That may be precisely why Goff isn't playing. Better to bury the kid on the bench and be thought a fool for one more year than stick him in the lineup and remove all doubt.

That's the kind of reasoning that has kept the Fisher Rams under .500 for years. The only thing funny about it is Keenum's highlight reel.

Name
rick zollo
I know it's been hypothesized MANY times, but I seriously doubt that the reason is that Goff isn't better than Keenum.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm confused, which isn't hard to do sometimes, but is the writer posing the ultimatum "Or Else" or is the OP posing the ultimatum "Or Else?" I don't see an "Or Else" ultimatum in the article being referenced.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm confused, which isn't hard to do sometimes, but is the writer posing the ultimatum "Or Else" or is the OP posing the ultimatum "Or Else?" I don't see an "Or Else" ultimatum in the article being referenced.

If you clicked on the link, it's headlined above Goff's photo....

If he really cannot outperform Keenum, then it's an indictment of the brain trust that traded up to acquire him, one that should cost all of them their jobs. That may be precisely why Goff isn't playing. Better to bury the kid on the bench and be thought a fool for one more year than stick him in the lineup and remove all doubt.

....and this part of the article is exactly why I've believed for three weeks Keenum is still in there. Fisher's decision is for the good of Fisher, and not the team.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
HA, or else what?

This is the problem with lazy journalism. Journalist think they have to power to change the outcome of an event they have no control over and in the process don't offer a solution. Sh*t, this guy didn't even hit on the headline of the article. Or else what?!

Idiot.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whole thing is laughable at this point . It's enough to drive a die hard fan crazy . I pity Goff for being caught up in this debacle. I want him as far away from Fisher as possible . I lost faith in Fisher two years ago , and if Goff isn't good enough to beat out the crap show that is Keenum and Fisher we are in for a few more years of misery . All we can do is hope the kid can play at a high level some day , but if Fisher is involved it won't happen .

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Everyone understand that performance in practice is not the only thing that determines playing time right? There is more to it and Idk why the media doesn't say fisher is a stubborn sob . I'm sure goff has played just fine but this decision is beyond his control , hope all of the media bs doesn't get to his head

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If you clicked on the link, it's headlined above Goff's photo.
Got it. I clicked on the link but didn't see it above the pic of Goff. Still confused as to why he would give an ultimatum when we the fans, nor any writer can really do anything to get Fisher to change his mind. I guess fans can stop going to games, etc, but that won't change the current situation with Goff. IMHO, I do think the next home game will see a half empty stadium if they lose next week in New York. The fans are already becoming increasingly restless since the team's return to L.A., and fans will find other things to do on Sunday.

I thought going into the season it would be almost considered as a "throw-away" season due to all the distractions with the move, hard knocks, etc. Sitting at 3-1, I drank some of the kool-aid, but it was short lived and I was brought back to earth rather quick. Our QB issue is not the biggest issue facing the team. IMO our offensive line problems are the major reason why the offense is struggling. Without a consistent running game, we will have to rely on Keenum to move the ball down the field and we've seen a mixed bag of results. It all starts with the O-Line and until this gets fixed, we will continue to struggle regardless of who is taking the snaps. I want to see what Goff can do, but I don't think it happens this year. Oh well.