Mike Shanahan: RG3 refused to run many of the plays that were called

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...yder-and-rg3-conspired-to-change-our-offense/

Mike Shanahan: Dan Snyder and RG3 conspired to change our offense
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2016

robert-griffin-iii-mike-shanahan-e1458909633930.jpg
Getty Images

Former Washington coach Mike Shanahan says quarterback Robert Griffin III and owner Daniel Snyder conspired on a plan to change the team’s offense after Griffin’s rookie year, with Griffin then sitting Shanahan down and informing him that he would no longer run many of the plays that Shanahan had called.

According to TheUndefeated.com, Griffin called a meeting with Shanahan, his son and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur in February of 2013 and told them to let him speak without interruption. He then informed them that there were 19 plays in Washington’s offense that he would no longer run because he believed he needed to be treated like a pocket passer and not a running quarterback.

Shanahan said he could tell by the way Griffin was talking that he had previously gone over the issue with Snyder.

“When Robert is standing there going through all of that, I know it’s coming from Dan,” Shanahan said. “When Robert talked about ‘unacceptable,’ that was a word Dan used all the time. He was using phrases Dan used all the time. There’s only one way a guy who’s going into his second year would do something like this: If he sat down with the owner and the owner believed that this is the way he should be used.

He had to have the full support of the owner and, in my opinion, the general manager to even have a conversation like that. He just had the best year for a rookie QB in the history of the game. You got selected to the Pro Bowl. We went to the playoffs.”

Griffin was concerned about his own health, coming off a season that ended with a serious knee injury in the playoffs. But Shanahan says he was concerned about Griffin’s health, too, and was baffled at Griffin’s approach.

“We tried to get him to slide,” Shanahan said. “We tried to get him to throw the ball away. If he had told me he was hurt, I would have taken him out of the [playoff] game. To hear him . . . it was really incredible.”

Shanahan says he immediately confronted Snyder, warning him that it was wrong to use him as a pawn.

“I said to Dan, ‘Do you realize what you’re doing to this kid?’” Shanahan said.

Snyder refused to comment on the report, but it’s consistent with longstanding talk around the NFL that Shanahan felt undermined in his attempts to build an offense around Griffin. Ultimately, Snyder fired Shanahan 11 months after that meeting with Griffin. Now Shanahan is out of the NFL, Griffin is in Cleveland and Jay Gruden is coaching Kirk Cousins in Washington — hopefully without interference from Snyder.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...yder-and-rg3-conspired-to-change-our-offense/

Mike Shanahan: Dan Snyder and RG3 conspired to change our offense
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2016

robert-griffin-iii-mike-shanahan-e1458909633930.jpg
Getty Images

Former Washington coach Mike Shanahan says quarterback Robert Griffin III and owner Daniel Snyder conspired on a plan to change the team’s offense after Griffin’s rookie year, with Griffin then sitting Shanahan down and informing him that he would no longer run many of the plays that Shanahan had called.

According to TheUndefeated.com, Griffin called a meeting with Shanahan, his son and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur in February of 2013 and told them to let him speak without interruption. He then informed them that there were 19 plays in Washington’s offense that he would no longer run because he believed he needed to be treated like a pocket passer and not a running quarterback.

Shanahan said he could tell by the way Griffin was talking that he had previously gone over the issue with Snyder.

“When Robert is standing there going through all of that, I know it’s coming from Dan,” Shanahan said. “When Robert talked about ‘unacceptable,’ that was a word Dan used all the time. He was using phrases Dan used all the time. There’s only one way a guy who’s going into his second year would do something like this: If he sat down with the owner and the owner believed that this is the way he should be used.

He had to have the full support of the owner and, in my opinion, the general manager to even have a conversation like that. He just had the best year for a rookie QB in the history of the game. You got selected to the Pro Bowl. We went to the playoffs.”

Griffin was concerned about his own health, coming off a season that ended with a serious knee injury in the playoffs. But Shanahan says he was concerned about Griffin’s health, too, and was baffled at Griffin’s approach.

“We tried to get him to slide,” Shanahan said. “We tried to get him to throw the ball away. If he had told me he was hurt, I would have taken him out of the [playoff] game. To hear him . . . it was really incredible.”

Shanahan says he immediately confronted Snyder, warning him that it was wrong to use him as a pawn.

“I said to Dan, ‘Do you realize what you’re doing to this kid?’” Shanahan said.

Snyder refused to comment on the report, but it’s consistent with longstanding talk around the NFL that Shanahan felt undermined in his attempts to build an offense around Griffin. Ultimately, Snyder fired Shanahan 11 months after that meeting with Griffin. Now Shanahan is out of the NFL, Griffin is in Cleveland and Jay Gruden is coaching Kirk Cousins in Washington — hopefully without interference from Snyder.
As a "Rams Fan" I see no reason to even be slightly interested in this^!! Snyder is why the Redskins have pretty much Sucked for years!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I was just answering your question my man. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I can only assume since he was there so long things were pretty good. But of course when you are successful that can shield a lot of things.
But Washington is a whole different animal then Denver. Denver is just a better run organization.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrell Davis loved him
I think you could probably get 20 guys from that Denver team to back him up. Washington? That's a whole nuther sitch. Just a trainwreck

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree.
Just wish we were still getting draft picks from that train wreck. Lol

StevenG-BR

Rookie
What a d-bag...RG3 that is.

I stood up for him too. I said all the negative reports about his attitude were blown out of proportion, simply because RG3 negativity sells.

But it's looking more and more like I'm wrong, and he's just a crappy person. You have to be pretty full of yourself to tell the head coach (a SB winner) how the offense will run....when your only in your second year.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
Snyder and RGfuckface are both douchenozzles. It makes me even happier that the Rams raped them of all of their picks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://deadspin.com/the-time-rgiii-called-a-meeting-and-told-his-coaches-ho-1777343711

The Time RGIII Called A Meeting And Told His Coaches How To Coach
Barry Petchesky

pwjlkeachwdxtdg6dtxu.jpg

Over at The Undefeated, Jason Reid takes a long look at a complex question—why did Robert Griffin III fail in Washington?—and, somewhat disappointingly, operates under the theory that there can be a simple answer. Despite that, it’s a very worthwhile read as both a broad chronicle of a bizarre four years, and as yet another chance for former Skins coach Mike Shanahan to put the fault on everybody else.

The most striking anecdote in here takes place following Griffin’s rookie year, an incredible season ended by a controversial and crippling injury to the young QB.

Feb. 5, 2013 — Griffin called for a meeting. He declined to tell Mike Shanahan what he wanted to discuss, saying only it was important. Griffin, Mike and Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur gathered in the offensive meeting room at the team headquarters in Ashburn, Virginia. With the coaches seated, Griffin walked to a blackboard and wrote:

1. Change things.

2. Change our protections.

3. Unacceptable.

4. Bottom line.

Griffin instructed the coaches to let him speak uninterrupted and rolled through a list of grievances, stressing that substantive changes had to occur immediately. Scrap the pass protection scheme and start over, Griffin demanded. There were 19 plays — primarily those from the 50-series and quarterback draws — that were unacceptable. Griffin, who supported his presentation with video clips of each play, expected them to be deleted from the playbook. Bottom line, Griffin said, he was a drop-back quarterback — not a running quarterback.

It’s a pretty stunning scene—a 23-year-old with 16 career starts under his belt calling his coaches in and telling them How It’s Going To Be. If ever you needed an image to represent the messiest possible manifestation of the ever-evolving battle between coaches and QBs for power and leadership in the modern NFL, Griffin’s chalkboard lecture is it.

There’s more, though. Shanahan tells Reid that he instantly realized how Griffin had been so empowered—and whose language he was using.

As soon as Griffin finished, Mike Shanahan bolted to the owner’s office.

“I said to Dan, ‘Do you realize what you’re doing to this kid?’” Mike Shanahan asked.

There are two caveats to this story, the central anecdote of the piece. The first is that it apparently comes from Shanahan, who has shown no reticence in discussing the Skins’ dysfunction with any reporter who’ll listen.

That’s not to say Griffin’s comportment and Snyder’s meddling aren’t being rightfully torched; it’s just to note that Reid’s main source for this story and his entire piece has a demonstrated interest in making himself look good.

The second is that this is the same drum, only louder and deeper, that Reid has been banging for a long time. Before joining ESPN in early 2015, he was the Skins beat writer for the Washington Post and his coverage of the Griffin saga always contained a palpable through line.

In Reid’s telling, Griffin’s immaturity, selfishness, and lack of leadership make for an explanation in totofor his Icarian career arc, and no other factors are necessary. I would never dare say those things aren’t true, or that they didn’t play a role, even perhaps the largest one, in Griffin’s fall from grace, but I just can’t believe it can be as straightforward as that.

Maybe Griffin had an unrealistic picture of his own abilities, and maybe the Shanahans did a poor job of shaping an offense to their quarterback rather than the other way around. Maybe it was both. Here, we get just the one side, and it’s presented as complete.

The thing is, we’ll never know. Snyder and Shanahan and Griffin may have been all been toxic for each other, a big Mexican standoff of toxicity, but you can’t retroactively untwine one from the others. It was a true team effort. And Griffin, who might be ruined anyway, certainly hasn’t landed in the best situation for a career renaissance.
-----------
We all know Snyder’s an ass, and could screw up a 2 car parade.

Thing is, Griffin was really good in his first year in Washington:

3200 yards, 65.6% completion, 20 TDs, only 5 INTs, plus 815 yards rushing with 7 rushing TDs. He had a better rookie year than Andrew Luck did.

Now, whether he was able to do all those things because of the schemes Shanahan had drawn up for him, or in spite of them, we’ll never know. But the dude was GOOD in his first year. Real good.
------------
You really need to read the rest of the piece to grasp why that was always destined to be short lived. It makes it VERY clear that RGIII lacks a lot of the fundamentals a pro QB needs to be successful - no drop back rhythm, throwing mechanics that mess up the rhythm, inability to identify blitzes, inability to identify coverage schemes and safeties, etc.

He was awesome because he was new, aka teams didn’t have game plans to stop him, and he was healthy. Once he had some games on tape, teams figured it out. When you’re only reading half the field and you rely on your speed to make plays, that’s dangerous.

I’m not some wannabe OC or DC, I’m just reading what even his own teammates were saying about him. Even his new HC in Cleveland is now recognizing his major QB flaws.
---------------
...maybe this had something to do with his decline:

c2m5s0qny3eh7txp53tf.jpg

Nah! That’s how knees are supposed to look! It couldn’t be that Snyder cheaping out on maintaining the field damaged irreparably one of the most promising quarterbacks of his generation!
-----------
I mean, if my knee just got totally destroyed after my rookie season as the starter, I’d be pretty pissed off too and looking for some people to blame—and there is blame to go around. But, the way he went about it (whether with or without Snyder’s implicit support) was way the hell out of line. If he had tried that with someone like Parcells or Belichick, they’d slap that shit down right quick. I always felt that the Skins had essentially destroyed someone who could have developed into a top talent.
----------
Not to be cliche, but the NFL isn’t just called the Not For Long league in jest....the read-option was a novel approach and teams with small corners and slow d-ends couldn’t adjust in that first year, but within one season that stopped across the board. Even the rushing yards you see from Cam Newton and Russell Wilson now are rarely off designed runs, but more likely Waggles or other run/pass options.

After that adjustment, RG3 was forced to try to read defenses pre-snap, at least part of the time, and he just couldn’t manage it. John Gruden did a great job one MNF game pointing out how nearly every pass RG3 threw was a single read or no read play (screens, fades, single route PA, etc.)....it was really sad.
----------
bgxhowb2wnqzrh4aq2ha.png

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've been a strong RGME detractor the whole time, but man, I think there is just too much media, and too much disclosure nowadays.

All they seem to do is try to break guys down, some guys deserve it, most don't, but whatever sells, they sell....24/7. You think they'd let him have a fresh start in Cleveland--nope!

I'm tired of social media, NFLN, and ESPN.

Bring real-football back.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Here's what Jay Gruden wrote on the white board for RGme shortly after their 1st few practices....

:gtfo:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've never been an RG3 fan, and this is why.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
John Gruden did a great job one MNF game pointing out how nearly every pass RG3 threw was a single read or no read play (screens, fades, single route PA, etc.)....it was really sad.
And yet, in 2012, he said he would do backflips to draft him.

Just goes to show. This QB eval stuff is an inexact science.