Mike Shanahan: I wanted Peyton Manning, settled for RG3 trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/18/shanahan-i-wanted-peyton-settled-for-rg3-trade/

Shanahan: I wanted Peyton, settled for RG3 trade
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2015

rg3mikeshanahan.jpg
AP

Trading up for Robert Griffin III was not Mike Shanahan’s first choice when considering who his quarterback would be in Washington in 2012.

Shanahan said on ESPN 980 that what he really wanted was to sign Peyton Manning after he was released by the Colts. Shanahan thinks he and Manning were on the same page and that a deal could have been done, except for one problem: Peyton didn’t want to be in the same division as his brother, Giants quarterback Eli Manning.

“We were talking to Peyton at that time. That was a strong consideration,” Shanahan said. “But at the end of the day I felt that with Eli being with the Giants he wasn’t coming in our direction.”

That’s when Washington started looking to trade up and draft Griffin. But that trade, Shanahan said, was a huge risk.

“I did not feel good about giving up two No. 1s and a No. 2, and they all knew I felt that way,” Shanahan said. “I said, ‘Hey, yeah, I would take the chance. But I want you to know that he’s really going to have to commit to what we’re doing.'”

In fact, Shanahan said he wouldn’t have given up all those draft picks if he’d known that the NFL was about to dock Washington $36 million in cap space as a penalty for the way the team structured contracts during the uncapped season in 2010.

“I don’t think you could have,” Shanahan said when asked if he would have traded away all those picks knowing about the impending salary cap penalty. “When you get penalized like we did, you can’t bring any players in.”

Shanahan said that Washington was very high on five quarterbacks in that draft: Griffin, Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins. They ultimately drafted both Griffin and Cousins, and Shanahan said they strongly considered taking Wilson in the third round, before the Seahawks drafted him. If Washington had pulled the trigger on that pick, it would have greatly changed the fortunes of two franchises.

Although Shanahan said he liked Griffin coming out of Baylor, he also noted some problems that they had with Griffin in Washington. A big one is that Griffin bristled at having to run the read-option, even though that was often what Griffin did best. Shanahan said that when Cousins played in place of an injured Griffin during their rookie season, Griffin was bothered by the fact that they called a different style of offense for Cousins.

Shanahan also said he felt at times that Griffin wasn’t being forthright with him about the health of his injured knee, and that Griffin would get upset when Shanahan would ask him to keep him posted about whether his knee was hurting him. Shanahan said that he ultimately called fewer read-option plays because he was worried about Griffin’s knee, even though Griffin was telling him that he was fine.

Ultimately, Shanahan sounds like a coach who feels like he never got exactly what he wanted at the quarterback position after four years in Washington.

Athos

Legend
RG-Me too much a primadona. Nothing new.

Shanny comes off more likable than before, and I honestly believe him over Griffin.

RamsFan14

Starter
I feel pretty bad for Shanahan, I don't think he deserved the kind of fire he got during his time in Washington. IMO, he's not responsible for the ACL/MCL tear Griffin suffered, but clearly that's another heated debate I shouldn't get into. I think he's a solid coach who knows what he's doing. That 36 million cap fine was out of no where, so it kind of makes sense how much of a struggle it was to make the team better, on top of a recovering RG3. Talk about some badluck...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
RG-Me too much a primadona. Nothing new.

Shanny comes off more likable than before, and I honestly believe him over Griffin.
Ybit even though I'm a Shanny fan IMO he should let that dog alone,Grudens problems with RG will make the point for him and watch and see a twitter war could erupt.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I feel pretty bad for Shanahan, I don't think he deserved the kind of fire he got during his time in Washington. IMO, he's not responsible for the ACL/MCL tear Griffin suffered, but clearly that's another heated debate I shouldn't get into. I think he's a solid coach who knows what he's doing. That 36 million cap fine was out of no where, so it kind of makes sense how much of a struggle it was to make the team better, on top of a recovering RG3. Talk about some badluck...
Yeah RG is definitely a coach killer

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And there's people who desperately wanted us to take this career virus. Wonder how many people on STLtoday still talk about him. They've all probably conveniently moved on.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
And there's people who desperately wanted us to take this career virus. Wonder how many people on STLtoday still talk about him. They've all probably conveniently moved on.

The difference is, in Washington Snyder was essentially the devil sitting on RG3's shoulder. Here, as we all know, Stan wouldn't be around to coddle him. All he would have is Fisher to look to for help.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The difference is, in Washington Snyder was essentially the devil sitting on RG3's shoulder. Here, as we all know, Stan wouldn't be around to coddle him. All he would have is Fisher to look to for help.
That'd just give way to more problem IMO. He definitely seems like the type who just gives up when he doesn't get his way. Giving players like this strict coaches isn't necessarily going to help them like a mid 90s football flick. I imagine he'd just throw a hissy and bust even harder.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
RG3 would come relatively cheap. I wouldn't want the back lash from the Bradford bashers, though.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That'd just give way to more problem IMO. He definitely seems like the type who just gives up when he doesn't get his way. Giving players like this strict coaches isn't necessarily going to help them like a mid 90s football flick. I imagine he'd just throw a hissy and bust even harder.

Mike Shanahan to Snyder

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Why doya care?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I was hoping Shanahan would be the Rams new OC and get to work with Bradford. I wonder if they even approached him. If not that is a crime.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Why doya care?
Because, I can't be the only one who gets a little cathartic, vindictive pleasure from knowing those loonies over there were wrong. Maybe it's just left over from years of having to put up with that madness.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Because, I can't be the only one who gets a little cathartic, vindictive pleasure from knowing those loonies over there were wrong. Maybe it's just left over from years of having to put up with that madness.
But for the cap hit of trading Sam I too wanted RG ,AND I wanted Suh over Bradford but ya know everyone wants this or that player cuz they think it'll make the team better and I think we all make mistakes and I still believe that under Fisher RG and Suh could have been better for us than Sam and Brockers.
Granted the other players we got out of the deal pretty well helped enormously in building this team, but the draft is such a crap shoot lots of mistakes are made by people PAID to do it

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why?! Shanahan you stupid Fuck! Why didn't you draft Russell Wilson too?!

Just think, not only would Pete Carroll been stuck with Matt Flynn, he probably would have traded for RG III after a year or two. He gave up a first for Percy Harvin, and he was a known cancer. Pete would have figured he could motivate RGIII with his cheerleader routine. What could have been? It would have been beautiful. .SMH and crying.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
How can a QB who is so awful making reads and is terrible in the pocket want to try to be Aaron Rodgers? Talk about delusional.