Mike Shanahan has interviewed for the San Francisco HC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You obviously don't like Arians but do you really think his success in Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and now Arizona is somehow all someone else's doing?
I can only comment on the 2014 Cardinals and top to bottom personnel-wise, that defense isn't very talented...yet despite the injuries, FA defections, DUI's and suspensions of some pretty good players, Bowles fielded a legit playoff defense each and every week. Amazing accomplishment.

Arians did a nice job this season, but i think his stubbornness took over a bit towards the end of the season and it cost the team. Palmer was injured exactly 8 weeks ago. His team was 8-1 at the time. He soon after decided that the best thing to do was to go with the backup the rest of the way(Stanton). Right or wrong that was probably a good time to do a hard search for a veteran QB...just in case...But he stuck to his guns and kept on slinging it until he was left with a QB who probably doesn't even belong in the NFL(Lindley).

Cards probably could have beat SF and Carolina with a smarter offensive gameplan, and having Bowles outstanding defense in his back pocket.

Hindsight maybe, but I see it as stubborn, ego-driven decisions.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I can only comment on the 2014 Cardinals and top to bottom personnel-wise, that defense isn't very talented...yet despite the injuries, FA defections, DUI's and suspensions of some pretty good players, Bowles fielded a legit playoff defense each and every week. Amazing accomplishment.

Arians did a nice job this season, but i think his stubbornness took over a bit towards the end of the season and it cost the team. Palmer was injured exactly 8 weeks ago. His team was 8-1 at the time. He soon after decided that the best thing to do was to go with the backup the rest of the way(Stanton). Right or wrong that was probably a good time to do a hard search for a veteran QB...just in case...But he stuck to his guns and kept on slinging it until he was left with a QB who probably doesn't even belong in the NFL(Lindley).

Cards probably could have beat SF and Carolina with a smarter offensive gameplan, and having Bowles outstanding defense in his back pocket.

Hindsight maybe, but I see it as stubborn, ego-driven decisions.
Fair enough but just how many veteran QB's is Arians supposed to drum up? You lose your starter and your veteran backup and you're going to be in rough shape. I guess he could have called Charlie Batch or something but the fact of the matter is, the Cardinals went out and signed Lindley from SD's practice squad after Palmer went down. He's a veteran backup who knows the system and the rookie was deemed not ready so I don't see Arians being stubborn.

On top of that, he lost Ellington so he really couldn't adjust his gameplan and lean on the running game. I happen to like that they went with what got them to where they were. Lindley wasn't struggling because he was unfamiliar with the system, he just isn't very good. And...they gave Logan Thomas another chance to be the starter and he just wasn't ready. That's 4 QB's they tried to make work so I'm curious if you could think of someone that could have been acquired that could have come in and fulfilled what you're suggesting?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough but just how many veteran QB's is Arians supposed to drum up? You lose your starter and your veteran backup and you're going to be in rough shape. I guess he could have called Charlie Batch or something but the fact of the matter is, the Cardinals went out and signed Lindley from SD's practice squad after Palmer went down. He's a veteran backup who knows the system and the rookie was deemed not ready so I don't see Arians being stubborn.
Yeah your and my definition of a veteran QB are different. Lindley doesn't qualify. I don't see a QB who belongs on an NFL roster, and like you, I've seen all the Cards games too so i'm not just throwing that out there using manufactured knowledge. Hell, i would even consider a bad NFL veteran like a Derek Anderson-type of signing to be an upgrade over bringing in Lindley. Give him 6-8 weeks to get up to speed. Something. I think Arians felt very good about being 8-1 and getting by with his own playcalling/offensive scheme no matter who was slinging it . Foolish IMO.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah your and my definition of a veteran QB are different. Lindley doesn't qualify. I don't see a QB who belongs on an NFL roster, and like you, I've seen all the Cards games too so i'm not just throwing that out there using manufactured knowledge. Hell, i would even consider a bad NFL veteran like a Derek Anderson-type of signing to be an upgrade over bringing in Lindley. Give him 6-8 weeks to get up to speed. Something. I think Arians felt very good about being 8-1 and getting by with his own playcalling/offensive scheme no matter who was slinging it . Foolish IMO.
Well, Derek Anderson wasn't available. Arians had Stanton, Thomas and got Lindley as insurance. Who was the couch-riding vet that should have been targeted? I mean, the Rams were in much the same boat and I really can't think of anyone out there that would have been reasonable much less shows Arians being arrogant about what he had to work with. Okay, Lindley isn't great and obviously the Cardinals didn't think so either considering they cut him but that late in the season, a QB with some starting experience and familiarity with the system doesn't indicate a coach with hubris to me. Lindley was insurance for the insurance of the insurance when they signed him.

Josh Freeman? David Garrard? Rex Grossman? I guess any warm body would have been better than Lindley but when Palmer went down, Lindley was still plan C. Stanton was serviceable and Thomas was the young QB in development. Isn't that what many are suggesting for the Rams?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Derek Anderson wasn't available. Arians had Stanton, Thomas and got Lindley as insurance. Who was the couch-riding vet that should have been targeted? I mean, the Rams were in much the same boat and I really can't think of anyone out there that would have been reasonable much less shows Arians being arrogant about what he had to work with. Okay, Lindley isn't great and obviously the Cardinals didn't think so either considering they cut him but that late in the season, a QB with some starting experience and familiarity with the system doesn't indicate a coach with hubris to me. Lindley was insurance for the insurance of the insurance when they signed him.

Josh Freeman? David Garrard? Rex Grossman? I guess any warm body would have been better than Lindley but when Palmer went down, Lindley was still plan C. Stanton was serviceable and Thomas was the young QB in development. Isn't that what many are suggesting for the Rams?

I'd call anyone and everyone. Ryan Lindley was the worst QB I've ever seen at the NFL level in his first go-around.

So yes, I'd reach out to guys like Rex Grossman, Tyler Thigpen, Byron Leftwich, Josh Freeman, David Garrard, etc. before I grabbed and played Lindley.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd call anyone and everyone. Ryan Lindley was the worst QB I've ever seen at the NFL level in his first go-around.

So yes, I'd reach out to guys like Rex Grossman, Tyler Thigpen, Byron Leftwich, Josh Freeman, David Garrard, etc. before I grabbed and played Lindley.
Or wait until it's too late and call Kurt Warner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or wait until it's too late and call Kurt Warner.

I wish that would have worked out. Arians is a douche but I'd love to see Kurt prove again that he's arguably the greatest playoff QB of all time.

I seriously hate Arians right now. Douche might have cost me money. :LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wish that would have worked out. Arians is a douche but I'd love to see Kurt prove again that he's arguably the greatest playoff QB of all time.

I seriously hate Arians right now. Douche might have cost me money. :LOL:
I had a morbid curiosity about Warner possibly playing too, but it could have also ended really badly for him. The last thing I would have wanted to see would be him getting carted off the field, because he was most certainly not in playing shape. He was smart to stay out of the mix. And you're not allowed to hate Arians. He's to be respected and revered. His hat, though? That's probably fair game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a morbid curiosity about Warner possibly playing too, but it could have also ended really badly for him. The last thing I would have wanted to see would be him getting carted off the field, because he was most certainly not in playing shape. He was smart to stay out of the mix. And you're not allowed to hate Arians. He's to be respected and revered. His hat, though? That's probably fair game.

How about his douchey hipster glasses?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah right, you guys would both be wearing sunblock and funny hats if it meant back to back 10+ win seasons and the playoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
yasure.gif

moklerman

Warner-phile
Please, if Arians was the Rams coach and he just led them to back to back 10 win seasons you're honestly trying to say that you'd all HATE him?

B. O. L. O. G. N. A.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Okay, just clarify for me that you(or anyone else) would be this pissed about what he said if he was coaching the Rams and he said it about the Cardinals.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please, if Arians was the Rams coach and he just led them to back to back 10 win seasons you're honestly trying to say that you'd all HATE him?

B. O. L. O. G. N. A.

Irrelevant. If Tom Brady were a Ram, I wouldn't hate him. Doesn't make me hate him any less as a Patriot. Same with Belichick.

Arians isn't the Rams coach and he is a douche.