Mike Shanahan has interviewed for the San Francisco HC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...shanahan-interviewed-with-san-francisco-49ers

Add another high-profile name to the 49ers' list of head-coaching candidates.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Saturday's NFL GameDay Morning that the Niners have interviewed former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan. Niners officials had already planned to be in Denver this weekend to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase.

Shanahan, 62, has spent the 2014 season out of football afterbeing fired by the Redskins in December 2013. Shanahan took a sterling resume to Washington -- including two Super Bowl wins with the Broncos -- but finished 24-40 in four seasons with theRedskins. Three of his four double-digit loss seasons in 20 years as a head coach came in D.C.

Shanahan's son, Kyle, the Browns' offensive coordinator, is also under consideration for the Niners' job.

Shanahan has 49ers ties. He was the team's offensive coordinator from 1992 through 1994, his final season being the last time the Niners won a Super Bowl. He leveraged that success into a head-coaching job with the Broncos, where he won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998.

The tack-on feel of Shanahan's interview makes you wonder if this is merely a kick-the-tires move by the 49ers. Then again, Shanahan has the rings, franchise connection, and as recently as two years ago, was being lauded as a rejuvenated offensive mastermind during Robert Griffin III's electric rookie year.

A lot has changed since then, of course. Be sure to follow our coaching visits tracker to stay up to date on the movements of the Niners and other teams with prominent vacancies.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
They are the perfect team for a rat face coach. Just have to remember to turn your eyes away when the camera pans the 49er sidelines.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know what to think of Shanahan. He's been successful before, but it feels like the game has changed and he's been left behind.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
have you ever noticed his Satanic lizard eyes?

satan shanahan.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will be shocked if they hire him I still hold out hope for Josh McDaniels, however, I doubt the 49ers will wait for McDaniels who IMO will be headed toward the Super Bowl (hope I'm wrong). Really thought San Fran would go internal with Jim Tomsula...Guess that's not happening,

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I don't think they will allow a "big name" to come in and take over. They (the GM and owner) have the power and they ain't going to diminish themselves. They just want to hear everyone's ideas for bicep kisser.........

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to see Shanny in SF, he's too good for them.

Hire Ryan plz.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He should be interviewing for the Rams OC position.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He hasn't done anything post Elway.
Well, the Broncos did beat New England in the playoffs in 2005 and had Jake Plummer at QB. I think Shanahan should get some kind of bonus credit for that.

As far as him going to SF, I don't think I'd like the idea but it seems odd that Shanahan would go to another situation with a screwy front office and prima donna, run-first QB. Seems awfully similar to what he got ran out of in Washington and I'd assume he wouldn't want any part of that type of thing again. Doesn't seem like he'd want to be an OC but I'd be happy for him to come to the Rams for a year or two to get back into the swing of things.