Mike Sando with Bernie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/04/04242012121738.mp3[/rp3]

What's your best scenario for the Rams' draft?
I think the most likely scenario is still Justin Blackmon. I have considered the potential drawbacks with Blackmon, (e.g., is the value there?), but I've sort of come back to the logic of that decision, and the logic of him being there, so I pencil him in as the most likely to be there.

When the Rams make a visit to Blackmon, Floyd and Wright, so late in the game, what can we gain from that?
I wouldn't think at #6 they would take Wright. There is the possibility they like Floyd better than Blackmon, and maybe they take HIM there, but I think they're looking at these guys because the interest is real. This isn't a smoke-screen thing. When you have 33 and 39, you have to think that if a receiver isn't their #6, do you feel SO good about the receivers available in the 2nd? I spoke to a scout the other day who said the Rams are gonna cut a receiver who gets picked up by somebody. They're not HORRIBLE at the position. They just don't have THAT guy. So my question is, are you going to GET that guy at 33 or 39, or are you going to get someone similar to what they already have? That's the question I have.

I still think Salas and Pettis can develop into good receivers.
They were horribly injured at receiver last year. What they have is, a bunch of complimentary guys. For me, don't use a high pick on another complimentary guy. So that's my question in the 2nd round. Are you getting more of the same, or just a little bit better? For me, you wanna come away in this draft with a guy who is better than who they have.

They don't have that flat-out outside speed guy.
We're talking about Arizona possibly going for Michael Floyd, and they have Fitzgerald already. I was talking to one of our guys at Scouts, Inc. Do you remember that famous part where Belichick says, "Give them Manningham." The reason for that is because he feared Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. The point is, even if you have a Larry Fitzgerald, adding another guy who really helps, forces the other coach to make a tough decision like that. For the Rams, you don't have anyone right now who forces you to make that choice.

If Kalil falls to 6, the Rams have to jump on that, don't you think?
Part of me thinks that, yeah. But the Rams re-worked Jason Smith's contract. That tells me he's your starting right tackle with $4M guaranteed. So I guess if you really think Kalil is special, maybe you're in a good position to move Saffold somewhere else. But Jason Smith is gonna be your RT. Maybe that's a good problem to have, but for the Rams, I really want someone to catch a pass from Sam Bradford, and make you go "wow", and rely on your coaching staff for the O-line without having to invest another high pick on yet another tackle.

The Rams have the 6 overall + two early picks on day two. What would you hope they come out of this with?
I really wanna see some speed at OLB. You have expectations on defense with Fisher, and to me, the cupboard was so bare next to Laurinaitis. Just a lack of athleticism. Jo-Lonn Dunbar can help, but really ideally, he'd be your 4th guy and instead he's your 2nd guy. Defensive tackle. Some have projected Fletcher Cox at #6, but that's a position they totally gutted. Maybe if you get Blackmon in the first, then you get a real athletic outside linebacker who starts for you, and you get a DT who may not be the perfect guy, but (Jimmy Kennedy, Adam Carriker) there's no guarantee one taken in the first round is a lock either.

And then Bernie lobbies on Blackmon for a little while.