Mike Mayock sees shades of Torry Holt in Amari Cooper/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I also see a lot of Holt in Cooper, much like I see Fitz in White and Bruce in Greene. I don't think Cooper or White are going to be available when we pick...but I'd gladly take Greene in the third.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

It's at 2:04 against Florida. The DB is a step behind and Cooper basket catches it rather than squaring up and securing the ball. At the next level, at best that's an incomplete.

I wouldn't judge him on one ball, but it's a play that jumped out to me.

I think thats nitpicking. Holt made catches like that, all wr's do, especially when wide open and it just falls into them like that. No wr "hand catches" 100% of the passes thrown to them. I bet if we look we could find examples of White and Parker doing that a few times as well.

And how is doing that in the NFL while completely wide open with no one close to you an incomplete at best? being wide open in college is the same as being wide open in the NFL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno if it's nitpicking or not. I watched what seemed like 40 or so catches and I saw a fair number of catches that caught my attention in a less than positive way.

We know the windows are much, much tighter in the NFL. I mean, how often were Ram receivers "wide open" last year? It's not like Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey weren't wide open in college. Heck, they were wide open quite often. If anything, our receivers should be Exhibit A that separation is tremendously difficult to obtain at the pro level and as such, every last thing must be done by the WR to get it.

Of course that includes route running and all the other stuff we've talked about. But it also includes other little details like what I'm talking about. Heck, the Seattle D absolutely FEASTED all year on WRs who didn't check all the boxes and thus allowed them to aggressively play the ball, initiate contact and for the most part not draw PI penalties.

I guess the only thing I would disagree with is that wide open in college is nothing at all like wide open in the NFL. Wide open in the NFL means no one is within 3-5 yards of the receiver. Wide open in college may mean no one is within 20 yards of the receiver and weeks may go by without that happening across the entire NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course that includes route running and all the other stuff we've talked about. But it also includes other little details like what I'm talking about. Heck, the Seattle D absolutely FEASTED all year on WRs who didn't check all the boxes and thus allowed them to aggressively play the ball, initiate contact and for the most part not draw PI penalties.

Cooper is the last guy I'm worried about when it comes to Seattle's CBs. Watch how Odell Beckham Jr. feasted on them last year. Cooper is a great guy to combat those CBs because he has speed, route running, and agility on top of size and strength. He's not a guy that relies upon size and contested catches that they can negate with their size and he's not a small guy that relies on quickness that they can slow down with bump and run coverage.

Roddy White did the same thing to them a couple years ago. Burnt the shit out of Sherman and their other CBs. Again, similar type style of play.

Cooper falls right into the middle area that's going to give most CBs fits. Because he can change his style of play to attack his opponent's weakness.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I dunno if it's nitpicking or not. I watched what seemed like 40 or so catches and I saw a fair number of catches that caught my attention in a less than positive way.

We know the windows are much, much tighter in the NFL. I mean, how often were Ram receivers "wide open" last year? It's not like Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey weren't wide open in college. Heck, they were wide open quite often. If anything, our receivers should be Exhibit A that separation is tremendously difficult to obtain at the pro level and as such, every last thing must be done by the WR to get it.

I guess the only thing I would disagree with is that wide open in college is nothing at all like wide open in the NFL. Wide open in the NFL means no one is within 3-5 yards of the receiver. Wide open in college may mean no one is within 20 yards of the receiver and weeks may go by without that happening across the entire NFL.
I have no problem with your opinion, though I disagree with it. Cooper is my favorite WR in this draft and I have wanted him since I saw him as a freshman at Bama. Is understand you liking white more. He has a lot of dez Bryant in him imo. I just like the smooth guys who are great route runners more than the athletic guys. Not saying Cooper isn't athletic(cause he is), but you know what I mean. Don't think you will ever agree with me and jerry(and vice versa), which is cool, I like these debates.

Still love cooper

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, it's all good! (y)

And the more I look at Cooper, the more I like him.

Also, I'm being totally up front that this may not even be a thing and once he gets into camp, he'll focus on his "pro form" and cut out the silliness, which is ultimately what some of those catches were.

So, I'd say I'm more on the "wait and see" camp and that's really only with respect to this one aspect of his game. I guess my stridency painted a warped picture of how I see the young man.

Text, man...