Mike Martz: Sean McVay Should be Coach of the year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/mike-martz-sean-mcvay-criticism-coach-jared-goff

I don't know how to make this story pretty on here, so I'll one of you guys that knows how to do it. Good on Mart for speaking the truth!
Was he speaking the truth when he said this?
Martz was quoted as being very critical of the hiring back in August in an excerpt from Thomas George’s book, “Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks.”

“What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared,” Martz said, per the book. “The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You’ve got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He disputed the context of those comments..believe what you will.
Indeed... and I could easily see him saying that... ties in with his egomania and jealousy.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was he speaking the truth when he said this?
And besides, speaking the truth in this instance, doesn't infer that he spoke the truth on any other quotes....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/mike-martz-sean-mcvay-criticism-coach-jared-goff

I don't know how to make this story pretty on here, so I'll let one of you guys that knows how to do it. Good on Martz for speaking the truth!

Is this what you had in mind ?

pictures-of-beautiful-women-21244-21781-hd-wallpapers.jpg

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
He disputed the context of those comments..believe what you will.
Martz was quoted by a long time respected journalist whose integrity is widely supported. It is clear that Martz said some stupid critical things of McVay, and later tried to weasel out of it by claiming that the reporter was lying.

Regardless, it’s good that Martz is now coming around to realizing what a terrific coach McVay is, even though Martz has not yet had the decency to own up to his previous stupid comments.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz was quoted by a long time respected journalist whose integrity is widely supported. It is clear that Martz said some stupid critical things of McVay, and later tried to weasel out of it by claiming that the reporter was lying.

Regardless, it’s good that Martz is now coming around to realizing what a terrific coach McVay is, even though Martz has not yet had the decency to own up to his previous stupid comments.

Yes...I never defended his earlier comment, just said that he said that he was taken out of context, which he did say. As for the truth of his latest comments, I said that what he said was true...because anyone with a brain would say that what McVay had done through Week10 as being Coach of the Year, worthy. I also said "Good on Him" because he didn't have to say a word when he was asked the question, but he told the truth. I thought it was an interesting article knowing what the alleged earlier comments were reported to be. This is not to slam against you, but it's amazing that I felt the need to defend myself over posting a link to a story that I thought people might be interested in...

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Upon further evidence, he has changed his tune.
Ok fair enough.
I don't know what has happened where changing ones mind or perspective is akin to some character short coming. I would think the shortcoming would be never allowing for a change of opinion.
Taking in information, re evaluating, evolving.
That is called learning.
There are some things is life and in every discipline that are truths. Outside of those sorts of things it is wise to observe and learn and admit when you're wrong.
Martz is arrogant and all of that, but, he has also admitted his short comings many times.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Upon further evidence, he has changed his tune.
Ok fair enough.
I don't know what has happened where changing ones mind or perspective is akin to some character short coming. I would think the shortcoming would be never allowing for a change of opinion.
Taking in information, re evaluating, evolving.
That is called learning.
There are some things is life and in every discipline that are truths. Outside of those sorts of things it is wise to observe and learn and admit when you're wrong.
Martz is arrogant and all of that, but, he has also admitted his short comings many times.
He was/is a flawed individual, but also an important part of the Rams story....

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yes...I never defended his earlier comment, just said that he said that he was taken out of context, which he did say. As for the truth of his latest comments, I said that what he said was true...because anyone with a brain would say that what McVay had done through Week10 as being Coach of the Year, worthy. I also said "Good on Him" because he didn't have to say a word when he was asked the question, but he told the truth. I thought it was an interesting article knowing what the alleged earlier comments were reported to be. This is not to slam against you, but it's amazing that I felt the need to defend myself over posting a link to a story that I thought people might be interested in...
Loyal, what I wrote wasn’t intended as a commentary about you or any other poster. Just expressing my strong belief that Thomas George did not in any way “embellish” what Martz said, and that Martz should just own up to it.

Loved that Martz was the architect of the GSOT, but the guy has some issues.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still love the dude. They don't call him Mad Mike for nothin.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is not to slam against you, but it's amazing that I felt the need to defend myself over posting a link to a story that I thought people might be interested in...
See next quote... I feel similarly.
Loyal, what I wrote wasn’t intended as a commentary about you or any other poster.

It just sounded like the initial comments reported were being brushed off... I agree with the below...

These comments sum up Martz, as I see him:
Loved that Martz was the architect of the GSOT, but the guy has some issues.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Correct!! And we are all flawed, but that doesn't make us any less a Rams Fan! Mike was a Genius in his Day! And I thank him for all the good he did for our Rams!!