Mike Karney Says Our Strength Coach is a "Cancer"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Found this interesting. No doubt he is a little bitter about his release, but he still has close ties to the organization as he and SJ are really good friends.

From PFT:
Ex-Ram says team’s strength coaches are cancers in the locker room
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 15, 2012, 4:40 PM EST

A former Rams player had some unkind things to say about the team’s strength coaches today.

Ron Clements of CBS Sports passes along some comments on Twitter from former Rams fullback Mike Karney about strength coach Rock Gullickson and assistant strength and conditioning coach Adam Bailey, holdovers from Steve Spagnuolo’s staff who have been retained by new Rams head coach Jeff Fisher.

Regarding the news of Bailey staying on the staff, Karney tweeted, “not saying much.” When asked to elaborate, Karney wrote, “bailey n Gullickson are cancers to the lockerroom,fisher couldn’t get his guy out of Tennessee, it’s a quick fix 4 now.”

There’s no explanation from Karney about what, specifically, he has against the coaches. Karney has been out of the league since the Rams released him a year ago

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do have to say that with all the injuries we have had, I am a bit concerned that we would keep the same strength coaches on the staff. It reminds me of Spags keeping Loney.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
You hear about players being a "cancer" but I have never heard about strength coaches being like that. What does that even mean for them?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Maybe sour grapes?

I mean, Karney wasn't exactly a saint was he ?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Selassie I said:
Maybe sour grapes?

I mean, Karney wasn't exactly a saint was he ?

Hahaha. I geddit!! :lmao:

Anonymous

He was fired at Green Bay because McCarthy didn't like the atmosphere he set there.

"Cancer" is Karney's word and means nothing more than "that's how HE feels."

But, Gullickson has been unpopular with players before, fwiw.

January 19, 2009

McCarthy offered no specifics about why he made the change but alluded to a sub-par environment in the weight room that suggested Gullickson was more rigid than he wanted.

Journal Sentinel

Jan. 28, 2009

McCarthy's main reason for replacing Gullickson was that he did not think players were responding well to the program and needed to make a change.

Journal Sentinel

Jan. 19, 2009

McCarthy said "There is an environment that existed that was not what I was looking for, frankly, and that's why it was another tough, difficult change to make, especially on a personal level."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Karney needs a new hobby.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, not only did we have an extraordinary number of injuries last season, but didn't Roger Saffold tear his peck in the 9th wk (I think) of the season? I recall Dmarco going off about that on -air, saying that there is no reason at all that someone should be doing such heavy lifting on a Friday before a game so late in the season.

So, given the above, maybe Karney isn't too far off base. And further, perhaps he's speaking for others, like SJ, who can't make these sorts of statements publicly.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
interference said:
Well, not only did we have an extraordinary number of injuries last season, but didn't Roger Saffold tear his peck in the 9th wk (I think) of the season? I recall Dmarco going off about that on -air, saying that there is no reason at all that someone should be doing such heavy lifting on a Friday before a game so late in the season.

So, given the above, maybe Karney isn't too far off base. And further, perhaps he's speaking for others, like SJ, who can't make these sorts of statements publicly.

Interesting. Tennessee blocked us from goin after their strength coach and im thinking Fisher decided to retain the guys on Spags staff since he didnt get "his guy."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sour grapes or mad at the strength coach for getting cut? Hmmm, doesn't add up to me. I think Karney may be expressing what he thinks a legit claim. Only the players know for sure but those on the roster certainly won't be commenting.

Anonymous

Read an article that Karney was hoping to sign with Seattle but didn't happen last year. Apparently he passed the physical fine just they wanted to try converting some young guys instead of signing the 30 year old. The lock out made the signing season extremely short and he has a one year old child now too. Could be his way of getting his name out there early and often now.

steferfootball

Starter
Ramhusker said:
Sour grapes or mad at the strength coach for getting cut? Hmmm, doesn't add up to me. I think Karney may be expressing what he thinks a legit claim. Only the players know for sure but those on the roster certainly won't be commenting.
It adds up to me. :p

He has been outspoken about his former coaches on a number of occasions.

IMO, it shows a strong lack of professionalism.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I bet he has small hands and smells like cabbage.....