Mike Golic Talk Rams Draft and Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Mike Golic joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the NFL Draft, the Rams needs, the plan to build through the o-line, the WRs in this draft, and developing QBs in the league. Golic really likes Scherff.

Listen to Golic Talk Draft

paceram

Pro Bowler
Mike Golic joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the NFL Draft, the Rams needs, the plan to build through the o-line, the WRs in this draft, and developing QBs in the league. Golic really likes Scherff.

Listen to Golic Talk Draft

I really think Scherff will be a Ram next Thursday unless he gets picked earlier which is a pretty good possibility!

V3

Hall of Fame
I really think Scherff will be a Ram next Thursday unless he gets picked earlier which is a pretty good possibility!
I'm guessing the Giants take him right before us purely based on the fact that they shouldn't be picking before the Rams. We had the same record and they beat us head-to-head.

I'm still bitter.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I'm guessing the Giants take him right before us purely based on the fact that they shouldn't be picking before the Rams. We had the same record and they beat us head-to-head.

I'm still bitter.

Yea, I am a little worried that Scherff could go to the Redskins or the Giants before the Rams pick! But, if that happens maybe that will leave Cooper or White available to the Rams?!!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I agree, it feels like its going to be Scherff or Collins. Would also not be shocked if it was Parker. Outside of those 3 I cant really see another player being out pick unless something crazy happens, like White, Cooper or Mariota falling.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I agree, it feels like its going to be Scherff or Collins. Would also not be shocked if it was Parker. Outside of those 3 I cant really see another player being out pick unless something crazy happens, like White, Cooper or Mariota falling.

Totally agree! But, it won't totally surprise me if the pick ends up being Peat or Flowers.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think the Rams take and OL other than Scherff at 10 unless they trade down. There's no other Olineman worth #10(not even sure Scherff is). If Scherff is gone, I fully expect them to take a WR, LB, RB, or DE(yup, DE. It's Fisher). Outside shot at CB Waynes but I'm not really that high on him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Golic breaks it down perfectly. I feel the same, as I think Scherff is the right guy but can live with them taking one of those WRs.

As to the Rams, I am convinced they covet Scherff due to what a perfect fit he is, from both RT/OG flexibility to his powerful game and competitive fire. I believe the Rams might even move ahead of the Giants to take him on draft day.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't think the Rams take and OL other than Scherff at 10 unless they trade down. There's no other Olineman worth #10(not even sure Scherff is). If Scherff is gone, I fully expect them to take a WR, LB, RB, or DE(yup, DE. It's Fisher). Outside shot at CB Waynes but I'm not really that high on him.
I don't know. Rams had Robinsons higher on there board last year. I think they would select peat To. Something tells me some people are going to be mad at the pick

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't know. Rams had Robinsons higher on there board last year. I think they would select peat To. Something tells me some people are going to be mad at the pick
I've had a hard time finding good videos on Peat but the few that I've seen I've been very underwhelmed. Bends at the waist, misses his guy a lot, seemed a little soft, etc. I fully admit I've had limited footage of him but the little I saw wasn't what I'd want from a player at 10. I'm also not a fan of taking a RT or OG at 10 in any draft. There are a few exceptions but Peat is definitely not one of them.

lockdnram21

Legend
I've had a hard time finding good videos on Peat but the few that I've seen I've been very underwhelmed. Bends at the waist, misses his guy a lot, seemed a little soft, etc. I fully admit I've had limited footage of him but the little I saw wasn't what I'd want from a player at 10. I'm also not a fan of taking a RT or OG at 10 in any draft. There are a few exceptions but Peat is definitely not one of them.
I don't care about draft position if we draft peat and he's a very good RT or OG I wouldn't care we drafted him in top 10.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't care about draft position if we draft peat and he's a very good RT or OG I wouldn't care we drafted him in top 10.
Only way I'd be okay with it is if he went on to be a perennial Pro Bowler. Sorry, that's too high to just get a starter at a non-skill position.

lockdnram21

Legend
Only way I'd be okay with it is if he went on to be a perennial Pro Bowler. Sorry, that's too high to just get a starter at a non-skill position.
Not if your team has been notoriously bad at assembling lines. We can't ignore the line we put premium picks on d line now we need same on offense. I'm afraid of we don't get a lineman on 1st all good ones will be gone

V3

Hall of Fame
Not if your team has been notoriously bad at assembling lines. We can't ignore the line we put premium picks on d line now we need same on offense. I'm afraid of we don't get a lineman on 1st all good ones will be gone
You're describing a horrible drafting strategy IMO. The team messed up with the O line so they are forced to take a position no matter what.

That's a recipe for disaster. You'll continue to be mediocre or worse doing that sort of thing. This is why I've been so pissed at the Rams for messing up the O line for so long. They've painted themselves into a corner and are going to hurt themselves in the long run trying to fill holes instead of taking a potentially game changing/playmaking player.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You're describing a horrible drafting strategy IMO. The team messed up with the O line so they are forced to take a position no matter what.

That's a recipe for disaster. You'll continue to be mediocre or worse doing that sort of thing. This is why I've been so pissed at the Rams for messing up the O line for so long. They've painted themselves into a corner and are going to hurt themselves in the long run trying to fill holes instead of taking a potentially game changing/playmaking player.
I have to disagree on this a bit. The teams that build the best OL's, generally do so thru the draft. The rams have (for the most part) tried to do this thru FA's and have been bit by having to over pay for guys who were both aging and oft injured. THAT is why we are in the predicament we are in right now. You should never feel afraid of taking an OL in the first Rd ... if that player is deemed worthy of the spot. And by all accounts (from scouts) Scherrf is deemed worthy. Now from "fans" .. well the only option for an OLman in the first Rd is if he is an All-Pro LT. .... otherwise the only option is a "playmaker" ... ( QB, WR, CB, DE ....)

I don't agree with that ... if the player is as god as advertised and he fills a need .. .then by all means ... you don't overlook him just because he isn't the "popular pick". I don't care what anybody says ... BPA ALWAYS fills a need ... unless you have a roster of All-Pro players and have NO needs. And right now ... there is NO BIGGER NEED than to fix our OL right now ... be cause after the draft ....the FA's that "we can get cheap" ... are going to be "rent" players ... just like what we have been doing.......

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

He's a knee bender. The times that you watched him bend at the waist is when he gets sloppy with technique. And which tape did you watch of him? Utah? Look up any other film aside from that. You'll see why he's my favorite offensive lineman in this class. He struggled with Orchard, true, but he held his ground against a lot of other good pass-rushers from arguably the top conference in the NCAA, facing some of the top teams in the NCAA. And he started as a true freshman and immediately kicked an All-American left tackle in David Yankey over to guard.

I mean, if Cooper or White or Mariota falls to us at ten, then they'd be the pick. They won't. I'm not even sure that Parker falls to ten because there are a lot of teams who want him.

V3

Hall of Fame
I have to disagree on this a bit. The teams that build the best OL's, generally do so thru the draft. The rams have (for the most part) tried to do this thru FA's and have been bit by having to over pay for guys who were both aging and oft injured. THAT is why we are in the predicament we are in right now. You should never feel afraid of taking an OL in the first Rd ... if that player is deemed worthy of the spot. And by all accounts (from scouts) Scherrf is deemed worthy. Now from "fans" .. well the only option for an OLman in the first Rd is if he is an All-Pro LT. .... otherwise the only option is a "playmaker" ... ( QB, WR, CB, DE ....)

I don't agree with that ... if the player is as god as advertised and he fills a need .. .then by all means ... you don't overlook him just because he isn't the "popular pick". I don't care what anybody says ... BPA ALWAYS fills a need ... unless you have a roster of All-Pro players and have NO needs. And right now ... there is NO BIGGER NEED than to fix our OL right now ... be cause after the draft ....the FA's that "we can get cheap" ... are going to be "rent" players ... just like what we have been doing.......
I never said not to do it through the draft. I'm simply saying not to force the issue. They should have taken them in previous drafts when there were good O lineman to be taken but they passed. That's an issue with their scouting department.

V3

Hall of Fame
He's a knee bender. The times that you watched him bend at the waist is when he gets sloppy with technique. And which tape did you watch of him? Utah? Look up any other film aside from that. You'll see why he's my favorite offensive lineman in this class. He struggled with Orchard, true, but he held his ground against a lot of other good pass-rushers from arguably the top conference in the NCAA, facing some of the top teams in the NCAA. And he started as a true freshman and immediately kicked an All-American left tackle in David Yankey over to guard.

I mean, if Cooper or White or Mariota falls to us at ten, then they'd be the pick. They won't. I'm not even sure that Parker falls to ten because there are a lot of teams who want him.
I could only find the ND game. I thought he looked pretty bad in that game. He was waist bending a ton, missing his guys, falling, etc. If you can find other vids of him, I'm all eyes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Golic breaks it down perfectly. I feel the same, as I think Scherff is the right guy but can live with them taking one of those WRs.

As to the Rams, I am convinced they covet Scherff due to what a perfect fit he is, from both RT/OG flexibility to his powerful game and competitive fire. I believe the Rams might even move ahead of the Giants to take him on draft day.

This.