Mike Freemans 10 point stance: The worst offensive draft in years.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know, I know. It's Bleacher Report.......blah blah blah. Bleacher report has stepped up in recent years and now have actual sources, unlike the past where everything was an opinion piece. I found it interesting and a lot of truth to it. If you don't like BR then don't read it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ance-the-worst-offensive-draft-class-in-years

1. Scout: "This is not a good class"

A scout and I went to lunch in Indianapolis, and before the waiter could say hello, the scout was ranting about the state of quarterbacking in college and the NFL.

On college quarterbacks: "Not a single one who makes you go, 'Wow.' The best teams can hope for is that one of these guys becomes Trent Dilfer."

Wait...what? Did you say Trent Dilfer?

"This is not a good class. No matter how much you guys in the media try to spin it."

So, there's that.

He calmed down after the food arrived. He had been hungry and grumpy. Now, he was just grumpy.

The scout is one of the more respected in football, and based on interviews with a half-dozen personnel evaluators, he's not the only one who feels this way. (Well, the Dilfer comparison is a little extreme.) His overall point wasn't just about quarterbacks, and it wasn't crazy, either. This is what he was saying:

Not only is the quarterback talent in this draft barely above average. The overall offensive talent is as well.

"This is one of the worst drafts for offensive talent in the past four or five years," the scout said.

One thing that factors into this belief: Wide receivers ran the slowest 40-yard dash times since 2011. Speed certainly isn't everything, but it has become a large part of football.

Another factor: I've heard repeatedly from team officials that they think the best player in the draft is Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott—not any quarterback, not Ole Miss offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil, not any receiver. Running backs are not supposed to be the most captivating prospects for a passing league, but here we are.

hi-res-7ab63596f092d06e8afe6dd99a13e3b4_crop_exact.jpg

Darron Cummings/Associated Press

The scout's main problem with the draft is the top quarterbacks: Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook. They are more workout wonders than players with skill, the scout said, and he believes it will be three to four years before a team sees a return from any of them.

"There is talent there, but it's marginal," he said. "They've all been inflated by the fact they know how to work out at the combine, but the tape isn't really all that impressive to me."

It's possible the scout is wrong, but this scout is rarely in error. I get the feeling we will look back at this draft—at the quarterbacks in particular—and wince.

Now, watch them all make the Hall of Fame.

2. Relatedly...

Since the draft isn't one of the better offensive ones, several front-office sources said more and more teams are looking to trade down. A team can trade back a handful of slots, gather picks and get decent (not great) offensive players late instead of getting decent (not great) players early.

3. The defense, on the other hand...

The scout: "This is one of the deepest defensive drafts, I'd say, in about three years. Maybe longer. The thing that's impressed me is the quickness of the interior linemen. They also use some of the best technique that I've seen in some years."

4. Drug tests at 4:30 in the morning

hi-res-316e20274c0a353cfd3e9198b8b40379_crop_exact.jpg

Gregory Payan/Associated Press

One thing few people understand about the combine is that it's a long, draining process. Ohio State's Joey Bosa's schedule isn't atypical. He had 13 interviews, he said at a press conference, and had to wake up at 3 in the morning for a 4:30 drug test.

5. Few in the league believe the 49ers on Colin Kaepernick

So we know the Browns don't want Colin Kaepernick.

And neither do the Texans.

But despite what 49ers owner Jed York recently told the San Jose Mercury News' Mark Purdy, the sense around the league is that San Francisco doesn't want him, either.

Several team sources (not with the 49ers) told me they feel strongly San Francisco wants Kaepernick gone and will move him as quickly as possible.

One of the interesting things York told Purdy is about the tampering that takes place in the league. He's one of the first owners or team executives I can remember who acknowledged—on the record—just how much teams tamper. It's been rampant for decades, and the NFL hasn't been able to stop or even slow it.

6. RG3 trade remains unlikely

hi-res-21e95c1af1211574538e0dad0bfdbeca_crop_exact.jpg

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Like Kaepernick, no one wants to trade for Robert Griffin III, team officials say. They know Washington will eventually release him.

But unlike it is in Kaepernick, the interest in Griffin is massive. Teams think they can remake him. League sources said at least a dozen teams are interested. It's probably even more than that.

7. Josh Freeman's next chance

hi-res-c7ab01fc6141754e648ef53568da86a7_crop_exact.jpg

Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports

Matt Hasselbeck is out as the backup to Andrew Luck, and Josh Freeman is in.

This is nothing against Hasselbeck, who was crucial for the team last season with Luck out. But good for Freeman. He deserves some appreciation for coming back from the brink.

After a promising start in Tampa Bay, Freeman struggled with the Vikings, Giants, Dolphins and even the FXFL's Brooklyn Bolts. But he never gave up, and here he is. This sounds corny as hell, but his story is a good example of perseverance. I know, corny, but it's true.

8. Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer still hotly pursued

hi-res-1bef04995bc84fc66d5184e4d7345b3a_crop_exact.jpg

Tony Ding/Associated Press

Just passing this along: As coaches were fired this past season, teams made runs at Michigan's Jim Harbaugh and Ohio State's Urban Meyer. This is not a shock. What is a shock is the ferocity with which both said no.

According to an NFL team official, organizations that contacted Harbaugh and Meyer (or their representatives) were given such resounding no's that those teams walked away thinking it will be years before Harbaugh returns, if ever, and that Meyer will never coach in the NFL.

Harbaugh supposedly told one NFL team official, "I'm having fun coaching football again."

9. The incredible Torrey Smith

hi-res-290e28c6635018473d1e6ffa012a0930_crop_exact.jpg

Kimberly White/Getty Images

Many blogs by athletes aren't worth the cyberspace they're written in. A handful are good. Even fewer are so good they need to be shared with everyone. This one by 49ers receiver Torrey Smith is one of those rare blogs.

It shows how, in some ways, despite their wealth and vast resources, athletes can face the same worries and fears the rest of us do.

10. Take your coach's advice, Tim

hi-res-11658911374009126c2e2776cac4c9c7_crop_exact.jpg

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Tim Tebow, despite being a quarterback who's unable to throw a football accurately, remains in the news. Meyer, his old coach, recently said what I've been saying for years: He just needs to go play in Canada.

"I think that's a great point, and I was actually in a conversation with him about going to Canada," Meyer said on the NFL Network. "The situation—his family and I were involved in it—we just didn't think it was the right one. I think if there's a right one, I think he'd probably do it."

Tebow still wants to play, but the NFL doesn't want him. Don't be surprised if a Canadian team makes an offer Tebow now can't refuse.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with the scout on this QB class. Think you have 4-5 potential starters. Think Goff will be a quality starter. Think Wentz and Lynch have the potential to be if developed properly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree with the scout on this QB class. Think you have 4-5 potential starters. Think Goff will be a quality starter. Think Wentz and Lynch have the potential to be if developed properly.

I think Goff will be a good starter too. And Wentz certainly has a good chance to be a good QB. However, the variables are still there. There is a lot of projection, especially with Lynch who is all tools.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed and there have been some knowledgeable folks acknowledging the quality of this QB class to include our own Les Snead. It is a very deep group and a lot of teams are going to take a developmental QB in this draft so 5 years from now the sheer numbers mean it will go down as somewhere from a good to great class. The top 3 and how they play will factor largely in how they're labeled too of course but like you I think they're underrated.

Where they're right is WR at the top. The general lack of elite athleticism of this group was a little depressing. Good thing is they have good depth though, so meh. What we need is one or two guys who can run a damn route and catch the ball and those types are out there so I'm good with it.

Funny thing is nobody is talking about the RBs who killed it in the measurables. Too bad we're already stacked at RB eh?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed and there have been some knowledgeable folks acknowledging the quality of this QB class to include our own Les Snead. It is a very deep group and a lot of teams are going to take a developmental QB in this draft so 5 years from now the sheer numbers mean it will go down as somewhere from a good to great class. The top 3 and how they play will factor largely in how they're labeled too of course but like you I think they're underrated.

Where they're right is WR at the top. The general lack of elite athleticism of this group was a little depressing. Good thing is they have good depth though, so meh. What we need is one or two guys who can run a damn route and catch the ball and those types are out there so I'm good with it.

Funny thing is nobody is talking about the RBs who killed it in the measurables. Too bad we're already stacked at RB eh?

I think this scout isn't really talking about RB because he doesn't see it as a premiere position. The general gist is that teams can get RBs in the 5th round these days. They are kind of interchangeable since so many teams favor the pass over the run. Defenses are not as concerned with the Runningbacks so it is not as difficult as it was 20 years ago to run. Backs don't have as many carries and the main focus of the D is no longer to stop the run, like it used to be. I do think it is a strong RB class though. Weak at TE and WR, which sucks for the Rams but, if they sign a decent guy in free agency like Benjamin or Jones then if they land one good one like Doctson or Boyd they should be improved dramatically.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
"The BEST teams can hope for is that one of these QBs becomes Trent Dilfer."

No matter how much QB Envy I'm stricken with... I agree with what this scout said. I'm not feeling any of these QBs coming out this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know, I know. It's Bleacher Report.......blah blah blah. Bleacher report has stepped up in recent years and now have actual sources, unlike the past where everything was an opinion piece. I found it interesting and a lot of truth to it. If you don't like BR then don't read it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ance-the-worst-offensive-draft-class-in-years

1. Scout: "This is not a good class"

A scout and I went to lunch in Indianapolis, and before the waiter could say hello, the scout was ranting about the state of quarterbacking in college and the NFL.

On college quarterbacks: "Not a single one who makes you go, 'Wow.' The best teams can hope for is that one of these guys becomes Trent Dilfer."

Wait...what? Did you say Trent Dilfer?

"This is not a good class. No matter how much you guys in the media try to spin it."

So, there's that.

He calmed down after the food arrived. He had been hungry and grumpy. Now, he was just grumpy.

The scout is one of the more respected in football, and based on interviews with a half-dozen personnel evaluators, he's not the only one who feels this way. (Well, the Dilfer comparison is a little extreme.) His overall point wasn't just about quarterbacks, and it wasn't crazy, either. This is what he was saying:

Not only is the quarterback talent in this draft barely above average. The overall offensive talent is as well.

"This is one of the worst drafts for offensive talent in the past four or five years," the scout said.

One thing that factors into this belief: Wide receivers ran the slowest 40-yard dash times since 2011. Speed certainly isn't everything, but it has become a large part of football.

Another factor: I've heard repeatedly from team officials that they think the best player in the draft is Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott—not any quarterback, not Ole Miss offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil, not any receiver. Running backs are not supposed to be the most captivating prospects for a passing league, but here we are.

hi-res-7ab63596f092d06e8afe6dd99a13e3b4_crop_exact.jpg

Darron Cummings/Associated Press

The scout's main problem with the draft is the top quarterbacks: Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook. They are more workout wonders than players with skill, the scout said, and he believes it will be three to four years before a team sees a return from any of them.

"There is talent there, but it's marginal," he said. "They've all been inflated by the fact they know how to work out at the combine, but the tape isn't really all that impressive to me."

It's possible the scout is wrong, but this scout is rarely in error. I get the feeling we will look back at this draft—at the quarterbacks in particular—and wince.

Now, watch them all make the Hall of Fame.

2. Relatedly...

Since the draft isn't one of the better offensive ones, several front-office sources said more and more teams are looking to trade down. A team can trade back a handful of slots, gather picks and get decent (not great) offensive players late instead of getting decent (not great) players early.

3. The defense, on the other hand...

The scout: "This is one of the deepest defensive drafts, I'd say, in about three years. Maybe longer. The thing that's impressed me is the quickness of the interior linemen. They also use some of the best technique that I've seen in some years."

4. Drug tests at 4:30 in the morning

hi-res-316e20274c0a353cfd3e9198b8b40379_crop_exact.jpg

Gregory Payan/Associated Press

One thing few people understand about the combine is that it's a long, draining process. Ohio State's Joey Bosa's schedule isn't atypical. He had 13 interviews, he said at a press conference, and had to wake up at 3 in the morning for a 4:30 drug test.

5. Few in the league believe the 49ers on Colin Kaepernick

So we know the Browns don't want Colin Kaepernick.

And neither do the Texans.

But despite what 49ers owner Jed York recently told the San Jose Mercury News' Mark Purdy, the sense around the league is that San Francisco doesn't want him, either.

Several team sources (not with the 49ers) told me they feel strongly San Francisco wants Kaepernick gone and will move him as quickly as possible.

One of the interesting things York told Purdy is about the tampering that takes place in the league. He's one of the first owners or team executives I can remember who acknowledged—on the record—just how much teams tamper. It's been rampant for decades, and the NFL hasn't been able to stop or even slow it.

6. RG3 trade remains unlikely

hi-res-21e95c1af1211574538e0dad0bfdbeca_crop_exact.jpg

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Like Kaepernick, no one wants to trade for Robert Griffin III, team officials say. They know Washington will eventually release him.

But unlike it is in Kaepernick, the interest in Griffin is massive. Teams think they can remake him. League sources said at least a dozen teams are interested. It's probably even more than that.

7. Josh Freeman's next chance

hi-res-c7ab01fc6141754e648ef53568da86a7_crop_exact.jpg

Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports

Matt Hasselbeck is out as the backup to Andrew Luck, and Josh Freeman is in.

This is nothing against Hasselbeck, who was crucial for the team last season with Luck out. But good for Freeman. He deserves some appreciation for coming back from the brink.

After a promising start in Tampa Bay, Freeman struggled with the Vikings, Giants, Dolphins and even the FXFL's Brooklyn Bolts. But he never gave up, and here he is. This sounds corny as hell, but his story is a good example of perseverance. I know, corny, but it's true.

8. Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer still hotly pursued

hi-res-1bef04995bc84fc66d5184e4d7345b3a_crop_exact.jpg

Tony Ding/Associated Press

Just passing this along: As coaches were fired this past season, teams made runs at Michigan's Jim Harbaugh and Ohio State's Urban Meyer. This is not a shock. What is a shock is the ferocity with which both said no.

According to an NFL team official, organizations that contacted Harbaugh and Meyer (or their representatives) were given such resounding no's that those teams walked away thinking it will be years before Harbaugh returns, if ever, and that Meyer will never coach in the NFL.

Harbaugh supposedly told one NFL team official, "I'm having fun coaching football again."

9. The incredible Torrey Smith

hi-res-290e28c6635018473d1e6ffa012a0930_crop_exact.jpg

Kimberly White/Getty Images

Many blogs by athletes aren't worth the cyberspace they're written in. A handful are good. Even fewer are so good they need to be shared with everyone. This one by 49ers receiver Torrey Smith is one of those rare blogs.

It shows how, in some ways, despite their wealth and vast resources, athletes can face the same worries and fears the rest of us do.

10. Take your coach's advice, Tim

hi-res-11658911374009126c2e2776cac4c9c7_crop_exact.jpg

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Tim Tebow, despite being a quarterback who's unable to throw a football accurately, remains in the news. Meyer, his old coach, recently said what I've been saying for years: He just needs to go play in Canada.

"I think that's a great point, and I was actually in a conversation with him about going to Canada," Meyer said on the NFL Network. "The situation—his family and I were involved in it—we just didn't think it was the right one. I think if there's a right one, I think he'd probably do it."

Tebow still wants to play, but the NFL doesn't want him. Don't be surprised if a Canadian team makes an offer Tebow now can't refuse.
As to point #1. I can't argue at all because I feel the same way! This draft, on the Offensive side is pretty weak talent wise! JMO

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's Bleacher Report.......blah blah blah. Bleacher report has stepped up in recent years
It's not blah, blah, blah, Bleacher Report has not stepped up, it still sucks ballz because of the bias from a company that was founded by 49er fans as a 49er fan site, and still retains that original slant of a TMZ wannabe over real NFL substance. See three of the "points" being pro-49er fan propaganda. Nobody else would kiss Torrey Smith's ass or still cares about Harblah except butthurt 49er fans.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tim Tebow, despite being a quarterback who's unable to throw a football accurately, remains in the news.
I spit my coffee out over that line

Back to the article...

I think its a lazy piece where his central point is the complaint that the WR 40's were slow.
Personally, I expected Fuller to hit 4.24, so even his time was slower than expected. Maybe, just maybe, there was a timing glitch? I mean seriously, how could an entire class run disappointing times?

Problem with this year's draft is that the majority of the top offensive talent isn't coming from SEC or other big time schools. So the critics have to work a little harder to report

I think Goff and Wentz can be as good as Bortles, Bridgewater and Mariota

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with the defense vs offense opinion on this draft in this article. Not a good thing for this Ram team who needs offensive talent in many keys areas. If it were up to me I would use my UFA salary $$$ on solid offensive needs here in March to fill those O needs. Then I 'll be looking for the GOLD BOULDERS on defensive prospects in April's Draft over any of the copper/brass flakes on the offensive side with each selection. My main attention will go on the defensive side @ several DT's, MLB'er & CB/FS. Offensively QB/WR/OC/TE

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
There are some excellent offensive players in this draft - every year some "well-respected" scout who refuses to go on record says the same stupid crap

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's not blah, blah, blah, Bleacher Report has not stepped up, it still sucks ballz because of the bias from a company that was founded by 49er fans as a 49er fan site, and still retains that original slant of a TMZ wannabe over real NFL substance. See three of the "points" being pro-49er fan propaganda. Nobody else would kiss Torrey Smith's ass or still cares about Harblah except butthurt 49er fans.

In the past they had no sources. BP was mainly opinion pieces that were meaningless fan opinion. Now they actually talk to scouts and GMs and such. They get real players adding to their site with columns. It is not the same rag it was a few years ago. I threw that out first because as soon as people see it is a BP article someone starts bagging on it as not newsworthy. If they are talking to scouts by bribing them with dinner, well then they are getting some of the same sources as the rest of the draft pundits.

I agree with the defense vs offense opinion on this draft in this article. Not a good thing for this Ram team who needs offensive talent in many keys areas. If it were up to me I would use my UFA salary $$$ on solid offensive needs here in March to fill those O needs. Then I 'll be looking for the GOLD BOULDERS on defensive prospects in April's Draft over any of the copper/brass flakes on the offensive side with each selection. My main attention will go on the defensive side @ several DT's, MLB'er & CB/FS. Offensively QB/WR/OC/TE

I have always been a proponent of taking what the draft gives you. If it is strong at DT then you should have a very good chance in round 2 to get a first round quality DT in other drafts. But in the end stack your board and it likely have some of those DTs and Corners at the top that are so abundant in this draft. Don't draft for need. Sign some free agents to plug holes and hope that you hit on a later round project or small school guy and figure the future drafts the and free agency periods will bring you want you need.

I'd rather have too many studs at one spot with mediocre players sprinkled around, than mediocre players across the board.