Mike Evans Climbs Kiper's 'big Board'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/5127/mike-evans-climbs-kiper-jr-s-big-board

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Few players helped themselves more at the NFL scouting combine than Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans.

Mike Evans' combination of size and speed means he won't be on the board long come draft day.
That widely shared opinion is reflected in ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.’s post-combine list of the top 25 players in the draft, and it is not necessarily a good thing for the Steelers.

Evans shot up Kiper’s “Big Board,”
in.gif
moving from No. 15 to No. 6 after performing well in Indianapolis.

Evans, one of the tallest wide receivers in the draft, ran a better-than-expected 4.53 seconds in the 40-yard dash. That speed, along with Evans’ size and ball skills, has solidified his standing as the second-best wide receiver in the draft -- and one who may have run himself out of the Steelers’ reach.

The Steelers have the 15th overall pick in the draft but Evans could be gone before they make their first selection.

Here is what Kiper wrote about Evans on his updated Big Board:
Evans put together an exceptional combine with great speed and leaping ability for a player his size. No player in the draft is better on contested throws, and every quarterback wants a target like this. Evans uses his reach, jumping ability and long frame to beat shorter defenders like a good rebounder (and he was a good rebounder on the basketball court). I've been concerned about his off-the-line quickness, but he clearly has good top-end speed. Evans could also be a versatile threat -- used on the edge or in the slot to create matchup problems -- because you simply can't defend his size. Seems likely to land in the top 10 now.

Evans did not make as big a jump on ESPN analyst Todd McShay’s list of the top 32 players
in.gif
in the draft, but had already been in the top 10 and he moved up a spot to No. 7. Here is what McShay wrote in a post-combine update of his top 32 prospects:

[Evans] showcased excellent hands during the gauntlet drill at the combine, and his 4.53 40 time is good for a receiver his size. I've been describing him as a pit bull in terms of his on-field competitiveness; he is one of the best receivers I've ever seen in terms of coming down with contested catches, and he is the most proven downfield threat in this class. I expect him to come off the board somewhere between Nos. 10 and 20.

Southern Cal wide receiver Marqise Lee is No. 15 on Kiper's Big Board while McShay has Louisville safety Calvin Pryor as the 15th-best prospect in the draft. Pryor is one spot ahead of Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.​

Last edited by a moderator:

jjab360

Legend
So... I'm really confused right now. Watkins isn't the only WR in this draft? Wtf??

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is the 2nd to last word in my threads always lower case haha?

laramsoriginal

Starter
Screw it...trade down with the raiders then draft Robinson with the 5th pick. Send a 2nd round pick to Minnesota to swap first round picks. With the 8th selection rams draft Mike Evans. With the 44th pick rams draft OLB Van Noy I love doing quick mock drafts...but yeah rams offense would be damn good

RamsFan14

Starter
Mike Evans is underrated. He's tall, long arms, strong, and has good hands. I would definitely welcome him as a Ram!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been wanting a WR like Evans for a long time, adding him to what we have now would be great as long as the Oline gets fixed too. I was hoping for maybe Matthews at 2 and Pryor at 13 but maybe we can fix S during FA??? TJ Ward would be nice

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Evans is a special pass catcher who looks to be an gamer & future NFL star. I sure like what he has in his game that he could bring to this Rams team. I am not hot on any WR's in the first rounds but he sure would look good in the Rams Uni. I prefer going for OL or DL linemen in this draft. But if Snead could land him @1.13 it would be good.

Last year at this time Snead had his eye set for playmakers on both sides of the ball. Do you think he got what he wanted with TA & Bailey and Tree & TJ ? Me thinks he still after some more playmakers but his issue he can't seem to get them all on the field in any one game together. Team seems to be unable to figure out how to do it. So we went back to a pounding old fashioned running pound game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Evans is a special pass catcher who looks to be an gamer & future NFL star. I sure like what he has in his game that he could bring to this Rams team. I am not hot on any WR's in the first rounds but he sure would look good in the Rams Uni. I prefer going for OL or DL linemen in this draft. But if Snead could land him @1.13 it would be good.

Last year at this time Snead had his eye set for playmakers on both sides of the ball. Do you think he got what he wanted with TA & Bailey and Tree & TJ ? Me thinks he still after some more playmakers but his issue he can't seem to get them all on the field in any one game together. Team seems to be unable to figure out how to do it. So we went back to a pounding old fashioned running pound game.
Evans or Donald at #13 if we stay there. Tough one for me, when I think that Donald could chase Wilson, or Kaepernick down in the backfield. And then Evans, a faster, bigger, Alshon, or the best corner or safety in the draft. I'm so confused now:confused:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Reminds me of Michael Floyd, Vincent Jackson and Keenan McCardell (in his prime).

I think he's gonna be solid but first season could be like AJ Green (stellar) or our own Quick (mixed). However an AJ Jenkins/Jon Baldwin outcome (fail so far) he will not be. Second, if SDub is not an option by choice or availability thru a trade down i.e 1.6 then... So I'm not banking on SW at 1.2 or drafting Evans at 1.13 because he will simply be gone by #1.9 Bills at the latest. I want to see Quick with SB all 16 games! But how can YOU not be thrilled with SDub or Evans in Horns. I just see our running game as primary focus and balancing with pass esp some trickery...hard to use the existing 4 hell 5 inc Cook productively.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd make him a TE...and feed him some cheeseburgers. I'm not as enamored with his WR skills as everyone else is. Separation,route running,winning one on one battles when he can't just rely on his size etc...

I really like his hands,speed and he would be an excellent guy as a Tony Gonzales-type IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd make him a TE...and feed him some cheeseburgers. I'm not as enamored with his WR skills as everyone else is. Separation,route running,winning one on one battles when he can't just rely on his size etc...

I really like his hands,speed and he would be an excellent guy as a Tony Gonzales-type IMO.
Funny you say that, he kinda of looks like Jimmy Graham to me, body type wise. That's what I was thinking while I was watching him at the combine. I think he's going to be a beast. I also think he would be a good fit for us, but he's not the end all, be all, there are a lot of good options where we pick, and where we MIGHT be picking. He was kind of hard to evaluate, because Johnny F-Ball was so sketchy in the pocket. I'd love to see him on more go routes. He must have long speed, with his 40 time.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No... but neither are Robinson and Matthews the only OTs in the draft. ;)
That is true too, but they are, by far, the best IMO. I'm not sure Sammy will be the best WR in this draft....but I'm not saying he won't be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Funny you say that, he kinda of looks like Jimmy Graham to me, body type wise. That's what I was thinking while I was watching him at the combine. I think he's going to be a beast. I also think he would be a good fit for us, but he's not the end all, be all, there are a lot of good options where we pick, and where we MIGHT be picking. He was kind of hard to evaluate, because Johnny F-Ball was so sketchy in the pocket. I'd love to see him on more go routes. He must have long speed, with his 40 time.
Thats probably a better comparison,yeah. I could easily be way off on evaluation him(i'm no expert). Do you think he has the ability to get behind NFL caliber DB's and make plays when he can't just out-muscle guys? He really had it easy in college IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thats probably a better comparison,yeah. I could easily be way off on evaluation him(i'm no expert). Do you think he has the ability to get behind NFL caliber DB's and make plays when he can't just out-muscle guys? He really had it easy in college IMO.
He has the ability to do that, I just didn't see a ton of it, what I saw was a ton of jump balls, after JF scrambled for 10 minutes.

jjab360

Legend
The thing that gets me is why he's just now making this huge jump on these guys' big boards. Anybody with two eyes and a brain could see this guy was a player during the early part of the regular season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey @jrry32 what was your predraft analysis on WR Markus Wheaton from Beaver State last off season?
I think I liked him a little more than jrry32. He didn't do as well as I thought he would. He only got, what 10 targets? Was a learning curve involved? Think Mardy Gilyard. I think he would make a good slot receiver, he's super quick. I had about 4 or 5 guys ranked about the same.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey @jrry32 what was your predraft analysis on WR Markus Wheaton from Beaver State last off season?

Vertical speed that was wasted by a QB that couldn't hit him in stride, quickness and hip flexibility to run effective routes and explode out of breaks but doesn't yet understand how to change speeds and maintain his route efficiency, natural hands catcher that will attack the ball away from his frame, doesn't play physically and is too easily knocked off routes, effective YAC WR due to quick feet and speed...

Thought he was worth a 2nd round pick. Route running needs development so he might take time to see the field but has the speed to take the top off the defense along with requisite skill-set to develop into an effective route runner and has no issues catching the football. Potential to be a high-end #2 WR.

I think I liked him a little more than jrry32. He didn't do as well as I thought he would. He only got, what 10 targets? Was a learning curve involved? Think Mardy Gilyard. I think he would make a good slot receiver, he's super quick. I had about 4 or 5 guys ranked about the same.

Possibly. I think Steeler fans are hoping he gets more PT in 2014.