Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard Brings Physical Approach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...Approach/173f8278-f3da-4e31-8a43-c2b9e97b18e3
by Jonathan Webb
stlouisrams.com intern

Coming from a conference that has long prided itself on its physicality, Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard has carried that reputation to the top of many teams’ draft boards this spring.
At 5’11” and 199 pounds, Dennard has the size to match up favorably with many of the game’s premier receivers, as well as offering the ability to contribute in run support. His 62 tackles trailed only safety Kurtis Drummond among Michigan State defensive backs.

Dennard was a consensus All-American during the 2013 season with Michigan State, one in which he helped lead the Spartans to a 13-1 season and a win in the Rose Bowl. He was also named the Jim Thorpe Award winner, given to the nation’s best collegiate defensive back. His aggressive style in man coverage helped him create six turnovers last fall, including four interceptions.

Dennard has jockeyed for position with Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert as the draft’s top cornerback prospect in the weeks following the regular season, and has more recently been joined in that conversation by Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller.

Following the free agent departure of Cortland Finnegan, the Rams could represent a player in the first-round cornerback market. The consensus among many draft experts places Dennard near the middle of the first round in May, which could have him available at 13th overall, when the Rams would make their second first-round selection. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had the Rams choosing Dennard at 13th overall in a mock draft released last week.

At the NFL Combine, Dennard was clocked at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash, slightly behind the times registered by Gilbert and Fuller, who clocked in at 4.37 and 4.49 seconds, respectively.
But what Dennard may lack in overall speed he makes up for with on-field physicality, an attribute of his game he looks to transition to the NFL.

“We played a little bit of zone, but mainly, we had an aggressive style of play (at Michigan State) Dennard said. “I can play the nickel, I can play inside and blitz or cover the slot. I think I’m going to transition well. In the NFL, you have to give them a five-yard radius, but I can still run with receivers and go get the ball.”
If his stock remains relatively steady over the following five weeks, those attributes could make Dennard the first of this year’s class of defensive backs to be chosen in May

PhxRam

Coming from a conference that has long prided itself on its physicality, Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard has carried that reputation to the top of many teams’ draft boards this spring.
At 5’11” and 199 pounds, Dennard has the size to match up favorably with many of the game’s premier receivers, as well as offering the ability to contribute in run support. His 62 tackles trailed only safety Kurtis Drummond among Michigan State defensive backs.

Dennard was a consensus All-American during the 2013 season with Michigan State, one in which he helped lead the Spartans to a 13-1 season and a win in the Rose Bowl. He was also named the Jim Thorpe Award winner, given to the nation’s best collegiate defensive back. His aggressive style in man coverage helped him create six turnovers last fall, including four interceptions.

Dennard has jockeyed for position with Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert as the draft’s top cornerback prospect in the weeks following the regular season, and has more recently been joined in that conversation by Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller.

Following the free agent departure of Cortland Finnegan, the Rams could represent a player in the first-round cornerback market. The consensus among many draft experts places Dennard near the middle of the first round in May, which could have him available at 13th overall, when the Rams would make their second first-round selection. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had the Rams choosing Dennard at 13th overall in a mock draft released last week.

At the NFL Combine, Dennard was clocked at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash, slightly behind the times registered by Gilbert and Fuller, who clocked in at 4.37 and 4.49 seconds, respectively.
But what Dennard may lack in overall speed he makes up for with on-field physicality, an attribute of his game he looks to transition to the NFL.

“We played a little bit of zone, but mainly, we had an aggressive style of play (at Michigan State) Dennard said. “I can play the nickel, I can play inside and blitz or cover the slot. I think I’m going to transition well. In the NFL, you have to give them a five-yard radius, but I can still run with receivers and go get the ball.”
If his stock remains relatively steady over the following five weeks, those attributes could make Dennard the first of this year’s class of defensive backs to be chosen in May

Got the source so we can link it?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got the source so we can link it?
P.s. What are your personal thoughts on dennard? I think he'd match perfectly in a Williams/Fisher defense. What do you think?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
P.s. What are your personal thoughts on dennard? I think he'd match perfectly in a Williams/Fisher defense. What do you think?

Personally, I like Gilbert better. He can run with anyone, and will take it to the house when it's in his hands.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Personally, I like Gilbert better. He can run with anyone, and will take it to the house when it's in his hands.
He's to soft in coverage if you ask me. People look at his forty time and give him the edge a bit to much. Rather have somebody who will wear you down and get in your head throughout the game.

PhxRam

To be honest I dont know much about many of the prospects. I watch a few bowl games here and there and that is about it.

PhxRam

Here is what one mock says about Gilbert (The Rams draft him in their mock)

In the last three months, the name Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix has almost become synonymous with the Rams, and the No. 13 selection in this year's draft. There's no denying the Rams' long-standing need for a quality free safety. Notwithstanding the obvious need, in two years of the Fisher/Snead regime, there's been zero indication that the team values Safeties over CBs. In this DRAFTSIM the point is moot, as Clinton-Dix is already off the board, so the Rams veer to the top CB in the draft. In terms of overall athleticism, Jadeveon Clowney may be the only player in the entire draft worthy of being ranked higher than Gilbert. Gilbert's preference for press coverage is a perfect fit for DC Gregg Williams' aggressive approach. The Rams used one of their 30 pre-draft visits to meet with him last week, so the interest is there. In a league known for its copycat tendencies, a cornerback pairing of Justin Gilbert and Trumaine Johnson would closely resemble the one popularized by the Seattle Seahawks.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Here is what one mock says about Gilbert (The Rams draft him in their mock)

In the last three months, the name Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix has almost become synonymous with the Rams, and the No. 13 selection in this year's draft. There's no denying the Rams' long-standing need for a quality free safety. Notwithstanding the obvious need, in two years of the Fisher/Snead regime, there's been zero indication that the team values Safeties over CBs. In this DRAFTSIM the point is moot, as Clinton-Dix is already off the board, so the Rams veer to the top CB in the draft. In terms of overall athleticism, Jadeveon Clowney may be the only player in the entire draft worthy of being ranked higher than Gilbert. Gilbert's preference for press coverage is a perfect fit for DC Gregg Williams' aggressive approach. The Rams used one of their 30 pre-draft visits to meet with him last week, so the interest is there. In a league known for its copycat tendencies, a cornerback pairing of Justin Gilbert and Trumaine Johnson would closely resemble the one popularized by the Seattle Seahawks.

nice article, don't know if I'd come that close to ranking Gilbert alongside Clowney. I'd like to get us a shut down corner to pair with Tru and have Janoris be Janoris On the slot or blitzing causing havoc. He has a back for causing turnovers and havoc. Think that would most serve our d-line as we'll to give them a extra few seconds to get to the QB tbh.