Michael Vick: 'I revolutionized' the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Vick changed the madden series defiantly, dominance.. He throws a hell of a dog fight I'll give him that as well

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wouldn't say Tarkenton was quite the same. Was much more of a scrambler than a runner. The two guys that preceded Vick(and Cunningham) that I think did what they were doing are:
21634.jpg

and who could forget:
kordell-stewart-pitts.jpg

Both of those guys did what Vick was doing. Rushing for yardage and throwing poorly. Hell, Vick had to actually focus on and target Douglass' rushing record to break it. In 14 games, Douglass rushed for 968 yards and a 6.9 average. That's a 6'4", 225 pound guy too.
I was responding to this:

Cunningham was the "pioneer" of mobile QB's who could also make the throws.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I was responding to this:

Cunningham was the "pioneer" of mobile QB's who could also make the throws.
Tarkenton could throw too well for me to put him in the same class I guess.

But, I'll see you're Tarkenton and raise you Bobby Layne if we're going with "mobile" QB's who could throw and who was the pioneer.

crazyhorns

Rookie
What about John Elway he had some wheels. But he had such a strong arm he rarely took off.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I dunno about youze guys but I'm still waiting for that running QB that actually does revolutionize the game because I haven't seen him yet. The game, or at least that position, hasn't been revolutionized IMO. If that were the case as was claimed when SI ran an article on Cunningham then we would be seeing a league full of guys like him because as we all know there are about 100 to choose from in the college ranks every single year.

See the date on that cover? It's from 25 years ago. I remember reading it, and it told me that the future was guys like Cunningham and that every team would be scouring the college ranks looking for players like him. So much has changed about the NFL game, and yeah lots of rules changes, but the types of exotic defenses and offenses.....it's played differently to a degree than back then.

Yet the running QB is still not viable even though for nearly 30 years we've been told it's happening "right before our eyes" and that the game "is being transformed".

There are always a couple or few guys under center that run, go look at the list of QB's year by year for the last 30 years and you will find them.

I am always refuting this lie about the running QB because for some effing reason the media guys are too lazy or too short of memory to understand nothing has really changed.

0911_large.jpg

Irish

Starter
I don't think he is wrong. He might be an a-hole, but he is not wrong.

Injuries derailed his career. That, and the whole dog fighting thing. I would be interested to see his career numbers had they been extrapolated over 2001-2014 where he started 16 games a season and didn't miss time due to being a convict (he is still scum, btw).

Vick in his non-injury riddled prime was must watch TV. Every time the ball was in his hands your breath could get caught in your throat while he dismantled over matched line backers and safeties. That's one way he changed the game: almost every team now has hyper-athletic outside linebackers and 3-4 backers to keep pace with the QBs.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I dunno about youze guys but I'm still waiting for that running QB that actually does revolutionize the game because I haven't seen him yet. The game, or at least that position, hasn't been revolutionized IMO. If that were the case as was claimed when SI ran an article on Cunningham then we would be seeing a league full of guys like him because as we all know there are about 100 to choose from in the college ranks every single year.

See the date on that cover? It's from 25 years ago. I remember reading it, and it told me that the future was guys like Cunningham and that every team would be scouring the college ranks looking for players like him. So much has changed about the NFL game, and yeah lots of rules changes, but the types of exotic defenses and offenses.....it's played differently to a degree than back then.

Yet the running QB is still not viable even though for nearly 30 years we've been told it's happening "right before our eyes" and that the game "is being transformed".

There are always a couple or few guys under center that run, go look at the list of QB's year by year for the last 30 years and you will find them.

I am always refuting this lie about the running QB because for some effing reason the media guys are too lazy or too short of memory to understand nothing has really changed.
I agree with you but don't put it on the media. The only reason they <ahem> "run" with these stories is because fans fall in love with these guys. A running QB is even more popular than the proverbial backup QB. Fans just fall all over themselves to sing the praises of any QB who runs around a lot. I've never understood it. Seeing a guy that can make a beautiful throw is much more enjoyable than watching a guy run around like a chicken.

moklerman

Warner-phile

Injuries derailed his career. That, and the whole dog fighting thing. I would be interested to see his career numbers had they been extrapolated over 2001-2014 where he started 16 games a season and didn't miss time due to being a convict (he is still scum, btw).

Vick in his non-injury riddled prime was must watch TV. Every time the ball was in his hands your breath could get caught in your throat while he dismantled over matched line backers and safeties. That's one way he changed the game: almost every team now has hyper-athletic outside linebackers and 3-4 backers to keep pace with the QBs.
Actually, he IS wrong. He didn't revolutionize the position. He's just another in a long line of running QB's that didn't sustain long term success or got hurt or both.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree with you but don't put it on the media. The only reason they <ahem> "run" with these stories is because fans fall in love with these guys. A running QB is even more popular than the proverbial backup QB. Fans just fall all over themselves to sing the praises of any QB who runs around a lot. I've never understood it. Seeing a guy that can make a beautiful throw is much more enjoyable than watching a guy run around like a chicken.

I think the media feeds it big time. And they create the desire to have a QB like that in many fans because they talk about it way more than it bears discussing.

Just look at Jaworski's comments and video breakdown last year on CK. Everyone with sense could see the GB defense was swiss cheese and he wasn't even getting touched but Jaws layered on the praise.

FFS Bradford could have gotten 120 yards rushing that day!

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think the media feeds it big time. And they create the desire to have a QB like that in many fans because they talk about it way more than it bears discussing.

Just look at Jaworski's comments and video breakdown last year on CK. Everyone with sense could see the GB defense was swiss cheese and he wasn't even getting touched but Jaws layered on the praise.

FFS Bradford could have gotten 120 yards rushing that day!
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like the media isn't culpable too, I just think the fans are where the fascination starts and then the media blows it out of proportion.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Injuries aside even if you did what you say he isn't anything special when it comes to passing the ball, in fact he was below average at it for mostly his entire career. The exciting runs always captured peoples attention and then ESPN showing the highlights over and over. They didn't show the sixty million sacks and turnovers of course. If you look at his stats especially the sack percentage and completion percentage and YPA you'll see what I mean.

I watched him play, he was fun when he was running, but if I was a Falcon fan I'd have been emailing the FO and saying "How about we put Vick at RB and go get ourselves a QB".

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
He did revolutionize the game,
before Vick me and my boys only used dachshunds in the ring, after Vick we switch to pit bulls. Man did that ramp up the fun....wait he means the NFL....

Greg Stone

Rookie
While running better and throwing worse than the double threat QB's that proceeded him can hardly be termed "revolutionary" we should cut Vick some slack since he has "saved thousands of lives".

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, injuries and the dog fighting conviction are separate issues. One of the criticisms of running QBs has always been that they open themselves up to injuries - so that he got injured is not a defense of how great he was or could have been.

Without the dog fighting conviction he would have put up greater numbers - but who cares? As you say, he is scum. He doesn't deserve credit because he got off lightly for being scum.

I do think he was more than a RB playing QB - but as a passer he was definitely lower tier. Without the running he wouldn't have made it to the pros - he probably would have been limited to a weak college as a QB at best.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While running better and throwing worse than the double threat QB's that proceeded him can hardly be termed "revolutionary" we should cut Vick some slack since he has "saved thousands of lives".

:LOL::LOL:

* blue font not required *

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
What is his great skill set anyway? He's fast? Vick waits until the D is back pedaled and then he takes of at the slightest hint of trouble or when his brain fails to understand what's going on. After ten years the guy still can't read a defense or run an NFL offense. That is de-evolution of the QB position in my book.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Vick changed the madden series defiantly, dominance.. He throws a hell of a dog fight I'll give him that as well
Wow.... you stole my answer. That hardly ever happens.

Vick in Madden 2004 was what Vick wishes he could be in real life. He was almost Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl level overpowered.

And yeah, the dog fighting is another thing... back before we picked up Bradford, there were rumblings we signed Vick. I was on record that if we did so, I would have ceased to be a Rams fan until the day we wised up and cut him. (And before anyone starts the "He did his time, let it go" spiel, he did not serve one day in prison for animal cruelty charges. His prison time was solely for racketeering.)