Michael Sam: "Ram up!"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In Tuesday's press conference, at approx 9:40, a reporter told the story of a son and dad who together watched the drafting of Michael Sam, at which point the son explained that he was gay to his father. In reponse to this story, Michael Sam said ....

"I'm honored that I helped someone to be comfortable with who they are. To give him a little courage to speak to his father. But you know, I am very honored to have that happen to his son, but right now I am just looking forward to continuing on my dream, and if it inspires other people... hey, I am with you, and if anyone is not okay with that, as I said earlier, if someone disowned you, hey, be part of my family. I welcome you. Ram up!" (laughs)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Kid did good, the press is going to keep pushing him to be an advocate ,gonna be tough to resist,best thing he can do is keep playing hard and let that stuff wait until after his career.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This guy is like Tebow. He may not make it in the NFL. But he's got commentary skills, and maybe we'll see him on TV hosting some kind of show if he doesn't stick with a team.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But just realize that we're now going to get every person who feels disavowed or disowned by society as a new fan. That's huge. We're so going to rock every stadium we play in over the next few yrs.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This guy is like Tebow. He may not make it in the NFL. But he's got commentary skills, and maybe we'll see him on TV hosting some kind of show if he doesn't stick with a team.
I say he is bigger than Tebow. First, he's a better player at his position. Second, I actually think he appeals to a larger audience - for every single person, who feels rejected by society and by other "macho" sports fans, now has a home. We're now the place for all those people that are quietly shunned by the media-driven sterotypical high-fiving male sports fan.

Oh boy, what is Madison Avenue going to do now? How are they going to simultaneously continue to produce stereotypical adverts without isolating what will be an obviously large fanbase of what has to date been viewed by the mainstream as misfits and outcasts. If they target the outcasts in their advertising, they'll shun the mainstream. This is going to be very interesting to watch. You better believe that there are numerous board meetings going on in large Manhattan advertising agencies trying to figure out how best to deal with the new normal in Sports advertising. This is so much bigger than we realize.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I hope he makes it. I tell you what, though, Hayes and Sims are quality back ups. Hayes may done after his contract is up, therefore, it would be great if Sam makes his mark this year. Preseason is gonna be a fun 4 quarters this year.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I hope he makes it. I tell you what, though, Hayes and Sims are quality back ups. Hayes may done after his contract is up, therefore, it would be great if Sam makes his mark this year. Preseason is gonna be a fun 4 quarters this year.

If we keep 9 on the DL, he should. And who knows, he may get a look at LB - With his attitude and work ethic, he'll be a demon on ST's at the VERY least.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we keep 9 on the DL, he should. And who knows, he may get a look at LB - With his attitude and work ethic, he'll be a demon on ST's at the VERY least.

He's not overly athletic, really. He'll see very limited action this year. IMO.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
He's not overly athletic, really. He'll see very limited action this year. IMO.
All that matters is that he suits-up on game day. And just watch the sea of Rams jersey's infiltrate stadiums for national TV coverage. I wonder how this will impact our TV coverage and appearance during the flex schedule? Should be positive.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All that matters is that he suits-up on game day. And just watch the sea of Rams jersey's infiltrate stadiums for national TV coverage. I wonder how this will impact our TV coverage and appearance during the flex schedule? Should be positive.

Agreed, Sam has opened up a big audience for our Rams.

Now this is just hearsay, but on Rams talk someone posted a topic that Sam had already sold 10 million jerseys. I think he has to crack the Gameday roster just for that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not trying to be combative here, just curious - what does it mean to not be overly athletic?

Quit being combative... lol

His measurables aren't impressive and isn't isn't much against the run. Mayock said he's a situational rusher. Typically those guys are really fast but he isn't. His. 40 was pretty low for what his job is.

What his strength is is a good first step and uses his hands well. That's about it...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Quit being combative... lol

His measurables aren't impressive and isn't isn't much against the run. Mayock said he's a situational rusher. Typically those guys are really fast but he isn't. His. 40 was pretty low for what his job is.

What his strength is is a good first step and uses his hands well. That's about it...

Thanks for the quick response. There have been athletes in many sports who didn't have as many physical attributes as others but made it on heart and a hard work ethic. Let's hope that applies to MS as well.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thanks for the quick response. There have been athletes in many sports who didn't have as many physical attributes as others but made it on heart and a hard work ethic. Let's hope that applies to MS as well.

Indeed

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can we setup a ROD wager on whether MS makes the team or not?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
At least he can see his toes. :LOL::cool:
ha ha ha. You got me laughing out loud in the library on that one :)

Oh, by the way, even if my belly wasn't in the way, I'd still have to put on my glasses before I could see my toes.

Lol!!!

Maaan, Ive resisted at least three gay jokes in conversations about Sam. It's the right thing to do but such a waste of a hardy chuckle.
On Noooooo. I didn't even think this when I posted my msg. How embarrassing.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

He is like Tebow in that they both probably should have been taken in the 4th or 5th round.