Michael Sam jersey #2 behind only Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Only Johnny Football’s selling more jerseys than Michael Sam
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 12, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
cash-register.jpg

Even though he nearly went undrafted, new Rams defensive end Michael Sam is moving merchandise.

According to Cyd Zeigler of Outsports.com, Sam had the second-highest-selling jersey among this weekend’s picks, trailing only Cleveland quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles rounded out the top five.

“This is unprecedented for a Day 3 pick, let alone a seventh round pick, to crack the top five rookies sold following Draft weekend,” league spokesperson Joanna Hunter said.

Considering the other four players in the top five had a 48-hour head start on jersey sales made it that much more impressive, and indicative of the support he has.

Fans flock to order Michael Sam jerseys
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: May 12, 2014 at 11:18 a.m.
  • Updated: May 12, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.
  • 14 Likes | 5 Comments

Orders for Michael Sam jerseys by NFL fans are ranking squarely with those of some of the NFL draft's top including rookies, including defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterbacks Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of communications, reports via Twitter that those five players lead the early demand among rookies. The rankings were tracked from sales at nflshop.com.

Added NFL PR's Joanna Hunter: "It is unprecedented for a day three draft pick to be one of the top five rookies sold during draft weekend.

Manziel's jersey is atop the list, followed by Sam's, then those of Clowney, Bridgewater and Bortles. It's no doubt the first time a seventh-round draft choice has, at least initially, outsold the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, not to mention three first-round quarterbacks. But as the NFL's first openly gay draft choice, Sam's pro career is set to create firsts of all kinds. The next goal for Sam: Become the NFL's first openly gay player to make a 53-man roster.

He'll be challenged to do so with his new team, the St. Louis Rams, in part because the club already has one of the NFL's best tandems at his defensive end position in Robert Quinn and Chris Long.

But if jersey sales are any indication, he has plenty of people rooting for him to succeed.

I think he might even surpass Manziel at this rate, though those Cleveland fans are really high on jimright now..

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What is his number? Just to be curious. Ogletree is 52 and I don't think he's planning on giving it up.

RamsFan14

Starter
I didn't see this coming at all... But I shouldn't be surprised. I feel like this has been a much more positive then negative situation, which is great to see from people. We have to learn to accept other peoples views, so Sam coming out really puts some light when it comes to respect for gay players (and just anyone in general). There's always work to be done, but glad the Rams made this a feel good story.

iced

if he doesn't make the roster, that's an interesting collector's item

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if he doesn't make the roster, that's an interesting collector's item

Yup either way its a piece of history. I think everyone is getting annoyed with how much a 7th rounder is getting talked about and loosing sight of the fact that he just broke down a barrier and this will be remembered forever. Him getting drafted was a victory, towards acceptance.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
His jersey number is #10

I don't see how that is possible. You have certain positions which get a certain range of numbers. 10 falls within QB or WR....not DE or LB. Must just be some kind of temp thing to sell them.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see how that is possible. You have certain positions which get a certain range of numbers. 10 falls within QB or WR....not DE or LB. Must just be some kind of temp thing to sell them.

I believe you are right, I read somewhere that it is #10 right now because he was the Rams 10th pick.

Also, just read a comment of someone who tried to order one, he said the Jersey will ship within 2-4 weeks after he has officially been assigned a number.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I believe you are right, I read somewhere that it is #10 right now because he was the Rams 10th pick.

Also, just read a comment of someone who tried to order one, he said the Jersey will ship within 2-4 weeks after he has officially been assigned a number.

Okay. That makes sense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good for Sam and the opportunity is there at LB, however, worse case would be the practice squad.
Screen_Shot_2014-05-10_at_11.0_standard_709.0.png

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Orders for Michael Sam jerseys are ranking squarely with some of the NFL draft's biggest names, including defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterbacks Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of communications, reports via Twitter that those five players lead the early demand among rookies. The rankings were tracked from sales at nflshop.com.

Added NFL PR's Joanna Hunter: "It is unprecedented for a Day 3 draft pick to be one of the top five rookies sold during draft weekend."

Manziel's jersey is atop the list, followed by Sam's, then those of Clowney, Bridgewater and Bortles. It's no doubt the first time a seventh-round draft choice has, at least initially, outsold the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, not to mention three first-round quarterbacks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349661/article/fans-flock-to-order-michael-sam-jerseys

A55VA6

Legend
Michael Sam's number will have to be in the 50, 70's, or 90's I believe. Numbers are based on position.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yup either way its a piece of history. I think everyone is getting annoyed with how much a 7th rounder is getting talked about and loosing sight of the fact that he just broke down a barrier and this will be remembered forever. Him getting drafted was a victory, towards acceptance.
I'm not annoyed, I just don't see it as a big deal, but that's my personality.

I see where everyone is coming from in terms of acceptance, and I hold no ill will at all towards homosexuals, but to me real acceptance is when it's actually no big deal.

I'm appreciative of the fact that it's no big deal that I'm happily married outside of my ethnicity.

So to me it's just meh. He may have been selected lower due to his status, and I hope the pick really works out for the Rams in terms of value.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not annoyed, I just don't see it as a big deal, but that's my personality.

I see where everyone is coming from in terms of acceptance, and I hold no ill will at all towards homosexuals, but to me real acceptance is when it's actually no big deal.

I'm appreciative of the fact that it's no big deal that I'm happily married outside of my ethnicity.

So to me it's just meh. He may have been selected lower due to his status, and I hope the pick really works out for the Rams in terms of value.

But it is a big deal, and not acknowledging that is essentially ignoring it. I do get where youre coming from and that real acceptance is when we dont need to even bring it up, but the fact is we are not there yet, and this was a huge step in that direction. Just because you and I are able to say Michael Sam is gay who cares doesnt mean there isnt a large number of homophobic people who dont feel that way.

Showing Michael Sam on ESPN kissing his boyfriend was ground breaking, truly showing everyone even if this makes you uncomfortable its okay and we need to learn to live with it. Its about showing the younger/future generations its okay to be yourself.

Alan

Legend
I didn't read any of these posts (eye muscle issues lately) so forgive me if someone already said this but I'm wondering if the ROD is going to have a sudden influx of new posters because of drafting Sam. If he make the team of course.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read any of these posts (eye muscle issues lately) so forgive me if someone already said this but I'm wondering if the ROD is going to have a sudden influx of new posters because of drafting Sam. If he make the team of course.

I would expect that to be the case Al, it seems to happen every year with the higher profile selections. Just like all the OU fans who followed bradford or the WVU fans with Austin/Bailey