Michael Irvin: Significant people talking about Cowboys trading Prescott, Signing Brady

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
This presents a very interesting scenario for Dallas to potentially get a couple 1'st round draft picks which could later be used to move back up the chart for another QB to mentor under Brady for a year or two. They also have the CAP space to pay Brady.

IMHO I don't think they'd get even 1 first rounder for him.
But JMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who’s trading for Dak? Teams are gonna line up to pay him 40 mill? I don’t think so.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cowboys Trading Dak Prescott to Sign Tom Brady Would Be Catastrophic

Michael Irvin sent Cowboys Nation ablaze over the weekend when word surfaced of him claiming that "significant people" are discussing trading Dak Prescott in order to sign impending free agent, Tom Brady.

Wait, what?

There is absolutely no rationale possible that would make this move a good one for Dallas. The negatives FAR outweigh the positives.

For starters, a mere contract dispute shouldn't be enough for the Cowboys brass to begin contemplating their previous conviction in Prescott. That was a foreseen headache considering how well he's played since taking over for Tony Romo in 2016.

In a contract year, Prescott absolutely balled out, throwing for 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns while completing over 65% of his passes. Sure, Dallas underachieved to the tune of an 8-8 record and no playoff berth, but we'd love to see what Dak can do in terms of wins and losses and playoff success without Jason Garrett. At 26 years old, he's just entering his prime. Prescott is the future of the Cowboys. Period.

Then, there's Brady, who will turn 43 before next season. The 2019 campaign served as a prime indicator that the three-time MVP was on the decline. At best, he has one or two more years left playing at a sufficient level in the NFL.

Does Dallas really want to trade away potentially a decade (or more) of success for 24 months with a future first ballot Hall of Famer, during which they may win a Super Bowl? Right after they finally parted ways with Garrett and hired a proven head coach in Mike McCarthy?

What happens if Brady wins a SB in his first year and opts to retire on top like Peyton Manning with the Broncos? Who would be quarterbacking America's Team?

Going through with this idea would be cataclysmic for the Cowboys.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Link
Michael Irvin Says It Wasn't Jerry Jones He Spoke to About Tom Brady to Cowboys

Michael Irvin clarified he wasn't referencing anyone from the Dallas Cowboys when he said he heard rumors the Cowboys could make a move for Tom Brady.

During an interview on WEEI's Dale & Keefe, Irvin said he talked with "some very significant people" who brought up the idea of Brady in Dallas:

"I am telling you right now, at the Super Bowl in Miami, some very significant people that I had conversations (with were) leaning in that same direction. It was shocking. I had a vodka cranberry in my hand and when they said it to me I put the drink down and said, 'Let's talk a little bit more about this.' I promise you, I had a conversation with people, I can't tell you who, about that same scenario going down."

Irvin followed up Sunday to tweet the conversation didn't include Cowboys owner Jerry Jones or any other representative from the team:

View: https://twitter.com/michaelirvin88/status/1226530418918395906?s=21

In the hypothetical scenario, the Cowboys would use the franchise tag on Prescott and trade him, with Brady coming in as the replacement.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Feb. 2 that Dallas is continuing to negotiate a long-term extension with Prescott but that the franchise tag appears to be the likeliest outcome.

At this point in their respective careers, Brady may not be an upgrade over Prescott.

Brady threw for 4,057 yards, 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2019. His 60.8 percent completion rate was his lowest since 2013. The 14-time Pro Bowler will turn 43 in August, so Father Time may finally be getting the better of him.

Peyton Manning's final season (nine touchdowns to 17 interceptions in 10 games) is an example of how even the greatest quarterbacks can't fend off the aging curve forever.

Prescott, on the other hand, is in his prime and enjoyed a career year. He threw for 4,902 yards, 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Football Outsiders ranked him first among quarterbacks in DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement).

Based on Irvin's comments, a possible Brady-for-Prescott switch may not be a serious consideration internally for the Cowboys.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brady is an old man and not even the cheating Bill Bellicheck could help him limp the Patriots into the Super Bowl this year. If Brady goes to the Cowgirls, it would be as consequential as Joe Namath going to the Rams in mid-70's. I'm not impressed with Dak either and don't know about giving him a big contract, but it sounds like they need to upgrade with Wolford (bring your draft picks, Jerrah).

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
For a bunch of people that hate the Cowboys, y'all sure talk about us a lot.