Message in bottle found 98 years later

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.travelandescape.ca/2012/09/m ... ars-later/

It took almost a century for Captain CH Brown’s message in a bottle to resurface from the sea, and its discovery landed a Guinness World Record for the Scottish man who found it, reports BBC News.

Andrew Leaper’s discovery set a world record for longest time a bottle has been adrift at sea. The previous record was held by a bottle that had floated for 93 years—and, incredibly, was discovered by the same fishing boat, the Copious, based out of Shetland, Scotland.

The bottle was apparently released in June 1914 by the Glasgow School of Navigation, as part of a science experiment. The school released 1,890 bottles in an effort to map the sea currents around Scotland. So far, only 315 bottles have been found.

And just what was inside the 98-year-old bottle? A postcard from Captain Brown, offering a reward of six pence to the person who found it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ImTheCrew said:
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Neat story, eh?

I will say I find it "suspicious" the same ship found the two old bottles... but neat story.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
CGI_Ram said:
ImTheCrew said:
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Neat story, eh?

I will say I find it "suspicious" the same ship found the two old bottles... but neat story.

I hope you're not questioning the integrity of a Scotsman!! :cheese:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sounds like there has to be some kind of circular pattern current in them there Scottish waters. That bottle didn't travel very far in those hundred years.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Whose gonna pay the six pence?
:sly: