Merril Hoge On Manziel: ‘Bust Written All Over Him’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN's Merril Hoge says QB Johnny Manziel’s skill set doesn’t translate to the NFL and sees bust written all over him — especially if he is drafted in the first round. (3:06)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Merril Hoge was a fullback and doesn't know shit about playing QB. He doesn't understand the type of instincts it takes to play QB.

tbux

Rookie
True Once- doesnt mean he doesnt understand football as much as you or I (obviously more)- so his opinion is a fair one. JM has experts who believe in him, and many who dont- NOBODY can say with certainty what he will do in the NFL. I agree with Hoge and have said so for long time now- I coud be wrong. I think much depends on where he ends up- as it does with many. If he goes to Jax, or Cle, or Minn- I dont think he will be that good- if he goes to Hous - maybe he will. I dont think his style of play translates, but we will find out next year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
True Once- doesnt mean he doesnt understand football as much as you or I (obviously more)- so his opinion is a fair one. JM has experts who believe in him, and many who dont- NOBODY can say with certainty what he will do in the NFL. I agree with Hoge and have said so for long time now- I coud be wrong. I think much depends on where he ends up- as it does with many. If he goes to Jax, or Cle, or Minn- I dont think he will be that good- if he goes to Hous - maybe he will. I dont think his style of play translates, but we will find out next year.

It's going to take Johnny Football more than a year to figure out how to play in the NFL (i.e., read defenses, etc.). BUT he possess skills you cannot teach - like how to play the QB position.

I've played the position. I've coached the position. There are just guys who "get it". And it's not necessarily the most physically talented guys.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
QB is probably the hardest position to predict in terms of successful transition from college to the pros. I don't envy NFL scouts who have to evaluate these guys.
JMO

fearsomefour

Legend
I would not draft this guy until mid rounds at the soonest.
QB is hard to project for guy with the tools you look for. JM doesn't have half the tools.
First round? 0% chance I would draft him there. Fifth round? Maybe.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

ESPN's Merril Hoge says QB Johnny Manziel’s skill set doesn’t translate to the NFL and sees bust written all over him — especially if he is drafted in the first round. (3:06)

I agree with Merril.
This guy has bust written all over him.
I literally would not even 'consider' taking him before the fourth round if at all.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's gotta learn to do it from the pocket. That's every rookie QB. My deal is he's pig headed and will make decisions out of sheer arrogance. THAT's my big concern. We've seen where that can lead you.

He won't be a complete bust, but he won't live up to the hype. In the NFL, that is a "bust" to a lot of people.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
perry22f-3-web[1].jpg

What's wrong with bust all over ?

tbux

Rookie
It's going to take Johnny Football more than a year to figure out how to play in the NFL (i.e., read defenses, etc.). BUT he possess skills you cannot teach - like how to play the QB position.

I've played the position. I've coached the position. There are just guys who "get it". And it's not necessarily the most physically talented guys.

I respect your opinion- I simply disagree- all good. I remember many people and experts saying the same things about Tebow like " he just wins" etc. I don't like JMs game from the pocket- where he HAS to play in the NFL mostly.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be in the minority but I'm rooting for Manziel. I think he takes way too much heat for things that weren't that big of a deal. The character concerns are unwarranted IMO

fearsomefour

Legend
I may be in the minority but I'm rooting for Manziel. I think he takes way too much heat for things that weren't that big of a deal. The character concerns are unwarranted IMO
I have no issue with JM and Im not hoping he fails. I also do t think the character things are big issues.
I just don't think he projects well to the NFL at all. The closest comparison I can think of is a faster but weaker armed Jeff Garcia. Garcia had a nice career. But, like Manziel, not worth a first round pick.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Come on guys... apparently you haven't been paying attention.

Barry Switzer has already come out and announced to everyone that Johnny is going to be the baddest fucking QB on the planet (that includes the NFL btw). How can anyone question Barry's intelligence... seriously?

Jeeeshhh.