MemphisRam Mock Draft 6.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@ DR RAM

I know it'll probably never happen, but here's my mock draft using the scenario presented earlier:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/memphisram-3-round-mock-draft-1-0.36309/page-4#post-534707

FYI: This mock draft assumes that both Joe Barksdale and Justin Blalock have signed.

1-10. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

I know. I know. But, just as Tre Mason was an upgrade over Stacy, Gurley is an upgrade over Mason. In fact, I believe he may be the best RB to come out since Adrian Peterson. With this, he’s clearly the BPA at this spot If his knee checks out medically and could form a dynamic duo with Mason.

2-41. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri

If he checks out characterwise with the organization (ala Ogletree & Jenkins), here’s another kid who might turn out to be the best WR in this draft class. You simply can’t teach 6’5” 237 with sub 4.5/40 speed. Match-up Nightmare.

3-72. John Miller, OG, Louisville
CLE-Mock-John-Miller.jpg

Said to be one of the best players at the East West Shrine Game, Miller just might still be one of the best OLinemen few people mention. 47 career starts at LG for Louisville, but has played both sides due to the team flipping their guards during games. Gil Brandt said it best when he said “This is a good football player.”

4-119. Nick Marshall, QB/CB, Auburn

Many will disagree, but methinks this kid could be the steal of the draft while providing this team plays on offense, defense, and special teams. While he hasn’t played CB since his freshman season, he has the prototype CB measurable to develop into a player. But, while he’s developing he can be used in a read option package on offense that could drive opposing defenses crazy.

6-215. Jeff Luc, LB, Cincinnati

This kid might be better off playing ILB in a 3-4 defense, but I really like him. This walking muscle may have to lay off the weights a bit and work on his flexibility, but I could see where Gregg Williams could use him in some of his packages while he blows people up on special teams. Might even be able to play both ways like Marshall by lining up a FB in a pinch.

7-227. Doniel Gambrell, OT, Notre Dame College
-1db18cbde5492e90.jpg

This Division II standout with an 83” wingspan and 10 ¼ inch hands was said to be the best Olineman at this offseason’s College Gridiron Showcase. He probably won’t make the team, but he’d be a nice developmental prospect that might be able to take over for a hopefully soon to be re-signed Joe Barksdale.

NOTE: This Mock Draft immediately makes WR Chris Givens & Zac Stacy trade bait. Isaiah Pead too if they can get something for him.

Since this mock draft assumes the Rams can't make a deal to move down and since the Raiders needed as many players as possible, I'd even consider packaging Givens and/or Stacy along with our 2016 3rd round selection for their 4th (#102) round pick if the right player were still on the board (example: Wisconsin RT Rob Havenstein). And I'd consider the similar deal (w/ a 2016 4th rounder) for their 2015 5th (#140) rounder if Boston College C Andy Gallick were still on the board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading a future 3rd for a current 4th? No me gusta. If you feel that strongly about getting an OL there, why not just take an OL instead of Nick Marshall?

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trading a future 3rd for a current 4th? No me gusta. If you feel that strongly about getting an OL there, why not just take an OL instead of Nick Marshall?

Because I'm MUCH higher on Nick Marshall's potential impact.

Truth be told, my hope is that they initially use him in a Read option / Auburn package, see how successful they are and eventually give him a shot at the starting gig, IF Foles doesn't pan out.:D:ROFLMAO:

In the end, the extra 2016 provides some luxury for the Rams to move said pick if they really like a player. Doesn't have to be an OLineman as Barksdale's contract would have a huge say there, IMO.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I agree with your take on the Girly guy (Best RB prospect I've seen since #29...yeah better than AD)

Your allegiance to Marshall while admirable is borderline imo crazy :sneaky: even HE knows his QB days are done.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not super high on Marshall, and I think it's a long road to make the transition back to a good, let alone, average NFL CB. I liked him better at QB, but don't see a future there either. I'd probably take Harrison over Miller. Miller, at the combine, flashed for me several times, love his balance, and feet. For me, he misses too many blocks, and, IMO, doesn't play hard all the time. If our coach could get the max out of him, he could be a very good guard, though. He has the tools, and he flashes big potential. I like the rest of your mock.

It would sure give us a couple, big time play makers.

jjab360

Legend
I'd be on board with Gurley at 10. I like Mason but he'll never be an elite back and this team needs a great running game to pair with it's defense. In fact, I'd say it's a very like scenario that fits in with Fisher's M.O.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would be surprised but not shocked if the Rams took Gurley. Maybe not at 10 but maybe in a trade down.

lockdnram21

Legend
Dont like it Mason can be a elite back. He had 750 yards and played about a half a year. With a better line this guy is putting up 1300 yards easy. Also thats to high for a running back when we have 4 capable. Ive been the first to say no to wr but i would much rather see White, Cooper, or even Parker picked at 10 instead of Gurley. A lot of people sleeping on Mason. He was Auburns offense and he carried them all the way to championship.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Dont like it Mason can be a elite back. He had 750 yards and played about a half a year. With a better line this guy is putting up 1300 yards easy. Also thats to high for a running back when we have 4 capable. Ive been the first to say no to wr but i would much rather see White, Cooper, or even Parker picked at 10 instead of Gurley. A lot of people sleeping on Mason. He was Auburns offense and he carried them all the way to championship.

I like Mason, too. A lot. But, I believe that Gurley may already be an elite back.

And while I really enjoyed the 765 yards Mason picked up, minus that 89 yard run vs. the Raiders where the defender clearly missed his assignment, Mason only averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year. Zac Stacy did as much the prior season.

BTW, Mason did great at Auburn, but the misdirection and hurry up aspect of that offense didn't hurt him any.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would be surprised but not shocked if the Rams took Gurley. Maybe not at 10 but maybe in a trade down.

With the Peterson situation and the Vikings having the next pick, I wonder if they can trade down and still get him.:(

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Can we trade our 2016 3rd or 4th? How does that work when a pick is part of a contingent trade?

I assumed those were resources that were "tied up"

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
With the Peterson situation and the Vikings having the next pick, I wonder if they can trade down and still get him.:(

Good question. I would have to imagine if teams are comfortable with the knee reports he is gone before 15. He is probably a top 5 pick without the injury. He has had a lot of time to heal, so he should be ready to go. You have to figure Minnesota or San Diego would grab him if available.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If the Rams stand pat with Mason as their feature back I will not complain one bit but I also would really like to see Gurley in Horns somehow(assuming the knee checks out). Before the combine (with the knee still an uncertainty) I had hoped Gurley might slip to the Rams in the second but that dream is dead. Fisher has a history of taking backs early and since he has been with the Rams they have drafted at least one every year.

In round 2 DGB seems like too much of a character risk when there will probably be some high value offensive linemen sitting there too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with your take on the Girly guy (Best RB prospect I've seen since #29...yeah better than AD)

Your allegiance to Marshall while admirable is borderline imo crazy :sneaky: even HE knows his QB days are done.

Yet he continues to workout at both positions.

I still agree with Malzahn:
I know he can be a quarterback at the next level. It needs to be in the right system. You’re talking about a guy that’s probably one of the best zone-read quarterbacks in the history of college football. He’s got a unique skill set. He broke the school record against the most talented defense we faced last year [passing for 456 yards against Alabama]. So he’s got the ability, he’s got the knack to win games, when the game’s on the line, that very few quarterbacks have. So I believe he can play quarterback in the right system.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tion-for-nick-marshall-sammie-coates-and-more

He's got ideal measurables for one position and less than ideal measurables for another. He wants to play in the NFL and get paid so he's playing the percentages. But, I'd be if someone drafted him and told him they want him to play QB, he'd be grinning from ear to ear.

Either way, I think he'd be an OUTSTANDING selection for a team minus a mobile QB as a part-time option. Just having the threat of a "Marshall Wildcat/Read-Option/Auburn" package in addition to a traditional offense would keep defensive coordinators up nights.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Gurley doesn't check out medically the first three rounds change:

1) Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF

2) A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina

3) Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
@Memphis Ram how much do you know about Jeff Luc?

I saw him in HS and he may have been the most ferocious kid I ever seen play. I thought there were great things ahead for him. Did he get in trouble at FSU? Or could he just not crack the lineup? I lost track of him after 2 years.

Any info would be great, good to see him back on the radar.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memphis Ram how much do you know about Jeff Luc?

I saw him in HS and he may have been the most ferocious kid I ever seen play. I thought there were great things ahead for him. Did he get in trouble at FSU? Or could he just not crack the lineup? I lost track of him after 2 years.

Any info would be great, good to see him back on the radar.

Very little. I just saw the highlight clip and couldn't believe my eyes.;)