MemphisRam 3 Round Mock Draft 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
T.J.'s upside is sky high and he's capable of doing what Greg did this year...starting at OG once he gets the scheme down.

If his upside were at GR's level, he'd be going top 5. But the kid still has freakish upside. He is the most naturally gifted OL in this draft(nobody else is even close in terms of the combination of strength and movement skills) which he combines with a mean streak and outstanding length.
I guess we will just have to disagree on TJ.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess we will just have to disagree on TJ.

I guess so. But I'm not sure what we're even disagreeing on. You haven't gone into any real detail on Clemmings. I'd love to have a discussion on the guy as a prospect. Seems a bit early for the agree to disagree.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
While I would go with a different player at 10, Clemmings is still a pick whose upside I could get my head around pretty quickly.

I would have no problem whatsoever with DGB in round 2.

I could live with Dawson but I'd stay on offense there - especially w the O line prospects still available in your mock.

The day 3 picks don't do much for me, but they are day 3 picks.

I'm not seeing the Nick Marshall thing at all. I keep seeing smart people who like him, so I'm trying to stay open to it- but so far, it's pretty blurry.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I guess so. But I'm not sure what we're even disagreeing on. You haven't gone into any real detail on Clemmings. I'd love to have a discussion on the guy as a prospect. Seems a bit early for the agree to disagree.
Ok I guess my biggest concern with taking TJ is he stuggles with speedrushers. He was exposed in the Senior bowl practices. One on one he was beating badly. Very good run blocker I will give you that but didn't do anything at the combine to make me think he was or is a great athlete. Best I see is guy who needs a lot of work to become a good right tackle. At 10 in the draft it appears like a very big reach. Just my opinion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok I guess my biggest concern with taking TJ is he stuggles with speedrushers. He was exposed in the Senior bowl practices. One on one he was beating badly. Very good run blocker I will give you that but didn't do anything at the combine to make me think he was or is a great athlete. Best I see is guy who needs a lot of work to become a good right tackle. At 10 in the draft it appears like a very big reach. Just my opinion.

He had a bad Senior Bowl week. IMO, he lost confidence which caused him to try to overcompensate and his technique went to shit. His technique had seriously progressed during the year but at the Senior Bowl, he went back to all the bad habits he had shown early this year. That's the key with him at OT. Just give him time to work on the technical side of the game. Which is why I believe he needs to play OG as a rookie or spend most or all the year on the bench.

Regardless, it wasn't him struggling with the speed as much as it was him struggling with counter moves. Nate Orchard gave him major problems because Clemmings still needs to develop his redirecting and counters. Improving his hand placement will really help with that.

It's not at all about foot speed with him. He has very light feet and is smooth as silk with outstanding balance...it's just about being technically sound and getting used to the OT position.

As I've said before, he reminds me a lot of Duane Brown. Brown had similar issues coming out of VT and struggled as a rookie in pass pro at LT but he ironed out the technical issues and developed into one of the league's best LTs.

As far as the combine goes, the only OT in the running to go in the first round that tested better than Clemmings was Jake Fisher. Brandon Scherff didn't do the majority of the testing, though. On top of the Combine, there was also this:
CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote that there isn't "an offensive lineman in the 2015 draft boasting more athletic upside" than Pittsburgh OT T.J. Clemmings.

Clemmings decided to stand on his combine time numbers at Tuesday's pro day. Offensive line coaches from the Arizona Cardinals, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams were in town to view check out the 6-foot-5, 310-pounder's position workout. "Scouts on hand tell me that Clemmings' workout was outstanding," Rang wrote.

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion that it's a reach. While Clemmings needs development, I don't think that makes him a reach because I see a guy that can be a top tier OL down the line. I think he's the best talent at OL in this class. That all said, I'd prefer to trade down and draft him to get more picks.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
He had a bad Senior Bowl week. IMO, he lost confidence which caused him to try to overcompensate and his technique went to crap. His technique had seriously progressed during the year but at the Senior Bowl, he went back to all the bad habits he had shown early this year. That's the key with him at OT. Just give him time to work on the technical side of the game. Which is why I believe he needs to play OG as a rookie or spend most or all the year on the bench.

Regardless, it wasn't him struggling with the speed as much as it was him struggling with counter moves. Nate Orchard gave him major problems because Clemmings still needs to develop his redirecting and counters. Improving his hand placement will really help with that.

It's not at all about foot speed with him. He has very light feet and is smooth as silk with outstanding balance...it's just about being technically sound and getting used to the OT position.

As I've said before, he reminds me a lot of Duane Brown. Brown had similar issues coming out of VT and struggled as a rookie in pass pro at LT but he ironed out the technical issues and developed into one of the league's best LTs.

As far as the combine goes, the only OT in the running to go in the first round that tested better than Clemmings was Jake Fisher. Brandon Scherff didn't do the majority of the testing, though. On top of the Combine, there was also this:
CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote that there isn't "an offensive lineman in the 2015 draft boasting more athletic upside" than Pittsburgh OT T.J. Clemmings.

Clemmings decided to stand on his combine time numbers at Tuesday's pro day. Offensive line coaches from the Arizona Cardinals, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams were in town to view check out the 6-foot-5, 310-pounder's position workout. "Scouts on hand tell me that Clemmings' workout was outstanding," Rang wrote.

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion that it's a reach. While Clemmings needs development, I don't think that makes him a reach because I see a guy that can be a top tier OL down the line. I think he's the best talent at OL in this class. That all said, I'd prefer to trade down and draft him to get more picks.
So at least we agree it will take time for him to start at tackle. I view him strictly as a tackle, do you think he has the ability to slide inside and be effective? If so my opinion would change or at least improve on TJ. It would still be a no at 10.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So at least we agree it will take time for him to start at tackle. I view him strictly as a tackle, do you think he has the ability to slide inside and be effective? If so my opinion would change or at least improve on TJ. It would still be a no at 10.

Oh yes. He could be an awesome OG. Great bend, flexibility, length, and power in the run game...he could grow to be an elite player there as he cleans up his technique. Plus, he could be one of the best pulling OGs in the league. Would be downright nasty in our scheme at OG.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To say Clemmings had a bad Senior Bowl week, doesn't come close to describing how awful it really was....but you watch him on tape and he shows well. He looked real good/athletic in the positional drills at the combine. He's not as explosive as everyone thought he'd test, but had a very good 10 time, which is a good stat for the OL. He only pressed 22x on the bench, which isn't very good, but he has long arms, some guys don't do as well with that, but don't tell Flowers. I watched his game tape vs. Miami, and he only missed 3 blocks the entire game. Pretty outstanding, but two of the misses were on only 3 attempts to block on the 2nd level. His third block missed was a backside block. He's very athletic/fluid, and has great, quick feet.

Again, only 3 misses is outstanding. Now, I'm not saying he stuck all the blocks, and drove his guy to the ground, but he got the job done. He needs some strength work, he needs a lot of tech work, as we saw at the Senior Bowl, but all said and done, if he has the desire, he will probably be a pretty good football player in the future. I don't think he's the best OL'er in the draft, and I don't think he's a top 10 player in this draft. I hope that we are considering a trade down, if we really want him. I think he's a low 1st, high 2nd round pick. I don't think he's a day 1 starter.

If character checks out on DGB, and Dawson falls, they would be great pickups, and make our team better, immediately, but I'd probably take a combo OT/G at that spot. Might be a tough choice if Dawson falls.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It may just be me but I pretty much ignore the bench press unless a guy does unbelievably terrible. Doesn't tell me much of anything otherwise.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It may just be me but I pretty much ignore the bench press unless a guy does unbelievably terrible. Doesn't tell me much of anything otherwise.
I don't ignore anything.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't ignore anything.

I do. There's really no correlation between the bench press and success and it doesn't even adequately measure functional strength.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I do. There's really no correlation between the bench press and success and it doesn't even adequately measure functional strength.
It's THE universal measuring tool that the NFL still uses. Now, it might not be the ideal way to measure functional strength, but to me every detail matters. The amount of reps may represent how much time the player dedicates himself to the weight room, for example. Jared Allen, did very little reps on the bench, did this mean he couldn't play? No. So, I get your point, but it's not meaningless to me, no stat, no rep, no measurement is, watching a player play means the most. I'm not going to argue the point of reps--that it means nothing to you. I thought that you made it clear.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's THE universal measuring tool that the NFL still uses. Now, it might not be the ideal way to measure functional strength, but to me every detail matters. The amount of reps may represent how much time the player dedicates himself to the weight room, for example. Jared Allen, did very little reps on the bench, did this mean he couldn't play? No. So, I get your point, but it's not a meaningless to me, no stat, no rep, no measurement is, watching a player play means the most. I'm not going to argue the point of reps--that it means nothing to you. I thought that you made it clear.

It can. Which is why I do think it's important if they do incredibly bad. But as long as it's respectable, it just doesn't mean anything to me.

I can't blame you for putting stock in it. I've just found during my time evaluating prospects that it doesn't coincide with the film nearly often enough.

But I don't really put much stock in the combine measurables as a whole. Film trumps all for me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It can. Which is why I do think it's important if they do incredibly bad. But as long as it's respectable, it just doesn't mean anything to me.

I can't blame you for putting stock in it. I've just found during my time evaluating prospects that it doesn't coincide with the film nearly often enough.

But I don't really put much stock in the combine measurables as a whole. Film trumps all for me.
That's exactly what I said.
watching a player play means the most
I even bolded it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's exactly what I said. I even bolded it.

I wasn't disputing that. Just explaining that I don't put much stock in measurables because film is everything for me.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie

I wish they would let the O-Linemen squat at the combine versus running the 40 or something like that. Much more useful measurement.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sorry, @Memphis Ram , it certainly wasn't my intention to hijack your 3 round mock thread to discuss the merits of certain drills. It takes an enormous amount of work to do something like this, and I appreciate it.(y)

Fisher to the Eagles makes sense, because he's the best athlete at OT in this draft, and he reminds me of Kelly's first pick as Eagles coach, Lane Johnson. He has really good film too. Another comparison I'd make is, Nate Solder, but I think Fisher is better coming out.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
I didn't watch the Senior Bowl or the practices so I don't know what happened there, but I get the feeling Clemming's rawness is way overstated when I watch his games last year at Pitt. Interesting that Ereck Flowers for example hasn't gotten the same label even though his technique is just all over the place.

Jake Fisher btw is every bit the prospect as Jake Matthews at first glance imo, but I don't think he fits our system very well at all. Outstanding pass blocker, though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
* Projected Trades

FIRST ROUND
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
2. Tennessee Titans - Leonard Williams, DL, USC
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dante Fowler Jr., DE/LB, Florida
4. Oakland Raiders - Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

TRADE: Cleveland Browns trade their 1st (#12), 2nd (#43) & 4th (#111) to the Washington Redskins for this selection.

5. Cleveland Browns (from Redskins) - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon*
6. New York Jets - Vic Beasley, DE/LB, Clemson
7. Chicago Bears - Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
8. Atlanta Falcons - Alvln “Bud” Dupree, DE/LB, Kentucky
9. New York Giants - Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
10. St. Louis Rams - T.J. Clemmings, OL, Pittsburgh
11. Minnesota Vikings - DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
12. Washington Redskins (from Browns) - Shane Ray, DE/LB, Missouri*
13. New Orleans Saints - Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
14. Miami Dolphins - Jalen Collins, CB, LSU
15. San Francisco 49ers - Danny Shelton, NG, Washington
16. Houston Texans - Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF
17. San Diego Chargers - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
18. Kansas City Chiefs - Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon
19. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo) - Jaelen Strong, ASU
20. Philadelphia Eagles - Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami
22. Pittsburgh Steelers - Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
23. Detroit Lions - La’el Collins, OL, LSU
24. Arizona Cardinals - Randy Gregory, LB, Nebraska
25. Carolina Panthers - Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
26. Baltimore Ravens - Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State

TRADE: Tampa Bay trades their 2nd (#34) & 4th (#109) along with a 2016 3rd Rounder to Dallas for this selection.

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Cowboys) --D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida*
28. Denver Broncos - Cameron Erving, OL, Florida State
29. Indianapolis Colts - Landon Collins, S, Alabama
30. Green Bay Packers - Stephone Anthony, LB, Clemson
31. New Orleans Saints (from Seattle) - Carl Davis, DT, Iowa
32. New England Patriots - Eric Rowe, DB, Utah

SECOND ROUND
33. Tennessee Titans - Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
34. Dallas Cowboys (from Buccaneers) - Malcolm Brown, DL, Texas
35. Oakland Raiders - Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
36. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
37. New York Jets - Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana
38. Washington Redskins - Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State
39. Chicago Bears - Eli Harold, LB, Virginia
40. New York Giants - Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State
41. St. Louis Rams - Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri
42. Atlanta Falcons - Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA
43. Washington Redskins (from Browns) - A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina*
44. New Orleans Saints - Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State
45. Minnesota Vikings - Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington
46. San Francisco 49ers - Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
47. Miami Dolphins - Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn
48. San Diego Chargers - Jordan Phillips, NT, Oklahoma
49. Kansas City Chiefs - Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
50. Buffalo Bills - Laken Tomlinson, OG, Duke
51. Houston Texans - Danielle Hunter, DE/LB, LSU
52. Philadelphia Eagles - Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
53. Cincinnati Bengals - Owamagbe Odighzuwa, DE, UCLA
54. Detroit Lions - Grady Jarrett, DT, Clemson
55. Arizona Cardinals - Preston Smith, DE, Mississippi St.
56. Pittsburgh Steelers - Nate Orchard, DE/LB, Utah
57. Carolina Panthers - P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State
58. Baltimore Ravens - Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State
59. Denver Broncos - Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
60. Dallas Cowboys - Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State
61. Indianapolis Colts - Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
62. Green Bay Packers - Max Williams, TE, Minnesota
63. Seattle Seahawks - Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan
64. New England Patriots - Ali Marpet, OL, Hobart

THIRD ROUND
65. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tre Jackson, OG, Florida State
66. Tennesee Titans - Darryl Williams, OL, Oklahoma
67. Jacksonville Jaguars - T.J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama
68. Oakland Raiders - Xavier Cooper, DL, Washington State
69. Washington Redskins - Byron Jones, DB, Connecticut
70. New York Jets - Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State
71. Chicago Bears - Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford
72. St. Louis Rams - Paul Dawson, LB, TCU
73. Atlanta Falcons - Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State
74. New York Giants - Ty Montgomery WR, Stanford
75. New Orleans Saints - Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary
76. Minnesota Vikings - Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M
77. Cleveland Browns - Lorenzo Mauldin, LB, Louisville
78. New Orleans (from Dolphins) - Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M
79. San Francisco 49ers - Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia
80. Kanas City Chiefs - Hroniss Grasu, OL, Oregon
81. Buffalo Bills - Mark Glowinski, OL, West Virginia
82. Houston Texas - Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
83. San Diego Chargers - Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon State
84. Philadelphia Eagles - Quinton Rollins, CB, Miami (OH)
85. Cincinnati Bengals - Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State
86. Arizona Cardinals - D’Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic
87. Pittsburgh Steelers - Derron Smith, S, Fresno State
88. Detroit Lions - Steve Nelson, CB, Oregon State
89. Carolina Panthers - Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
90. Baltimore Ravens - Josh Shaw, CB, USC
91. Dallas Cowboys - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
92. Denver Broncos - Mario Edwards, DE, Florida State
93. Indianapolis Colts - David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
94. Green Bay Packers - Bobby Richardson, DL, Indiana
95. Seattle Seahawks - Rob Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin
96. New England Patriots - Amer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska
97. New England (comp) - Jon Miller, OG, Louisville
98. Kansas City (comp) - Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma
99. Cincinnati (comp) - Jordon Hicks, LB, Texas

Rams Summary
1-10. T.J. Clemmons, OT, Pittsburgh
2-41. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri
3-72. Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

Remaining Rams Selections
4-119. Nick Marshall, QB/CB, Auburn
6-215. Austin Shepard, OL, Alabama
7.227. Corey Grant, RB, Auburn

I get all the high ceiling thing and understand that Snead seems drawn to those types of physical freaks, despite some. Of them having character concerns but I don't like it. I would hope if that is the way the top ten shakes out that they trade back a bit and grab another pick, then take L. Collins or Erving. If the had to stand pat I'd take Jalen Collins.

I prefer Tomlinson, or Cann over DGB. I don't like the character concerns with him. I am fine with Dawson in round3 but he is not my first choice either.