Memphis Ram Mock Draft 5.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
MOCK 4.0 was in mid Janaury so I figured it was time for MOCK 5.0.

Free Agency
Rams sign Justin Blalock & re-sign Joe Barksdale.

DAY ONE

1-10. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
img24775962.jpg

Many are calling for an OLinemen here, but there’s simply no one in this draft class worthy of a top ten selection. Parker has garnered A.J. Green comparisons due to his height, speed, and tremendous catch radius (6’2 ½” 33 1/4” arms and 36.5” VJ). With Quick coming off an injury and entering the final year of his contract and Britt’s injury history (and off the field risk), this selection provides the team with more options at the position in 2015 and beyond. Chris Givens automatically goes on the trade block.

DAY TWO

2-41. Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
6_1167051.jpg

Ala Janoris Jenkins here’s another 1st round talent that may be had in the 2nd round due to character concerns. Some will scoff at this selection due to the bodies already on the roster, but this team still doesn’t have a true #1 CB that can shadow an opponent’s best WR very well which made it easier for opposing team‘s QBs to have such a high completion percentage / rating despite a pretty good pass rush. Reminder, the 2015 draft is not just about the 2015 season and both Jenkins & Johnson are entering the final year of their contracts and last year’s 2nd rounder Joyner MIGHT be a nickel back at best (might be better off at safety).

3-72. Alexander “Ali” Marpet, OL, Hobart
Ali-Marpet-534x360.jpg

This Divison III performer from Hobart College is this year’s small school stud in the NFL Draft. A college OT who projects to any of the interior line position proved to be one of the best athletes at the position at the combine and more than held his own at Senior Bowl practices. He reminds me of another small school prospect drafted in the 7th round in 1995, by the Packers, named Adam Timmerman. Not sure, but it just may be possible that the Rams might have to use Givens to move up a bit to make sure they get him.

DAY THREE

4th Round) Robby Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin (from Eagles)
8050904.jpeg

This year’s product from, what may be, “OLine U” may have a RT only feel to him, but Wisconsin products are typically so well coached he might be able to start immediately, if necessary. He might not ever become an All-Pro, but he doesn’t have to be for an offense to have success.

6th Round) Angelo Blackson, DT, Auburn
0ap3000000395314.jpg

Mountain of a man who at 6’4” 318 with 33 ¾” arms (5.02/40) has the measurables to play in the league, but was only a part-time starter at Auburn. Might turn out to just be a camp body, but worth a shot to see if Wauffle can develop him even if he has to start off on the practice squad.

7th Round) Corey Grant, RB/KR, Auburn (from Patriots for Salas)
9957600.jpeg

Going back to the Auburn well here. Grant has limited college production as backup, but this is a speedy kid (4.30/40) at 5’11” 205 lbs. who is said to have impressed catching passes during his Pro Day. Worth a flier this late.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm fine with Parker at ten.

Peters character scares me

Big Marpet and Havenstein fan

The other two? Not crazy about either. They look like UDFAs to me especially Blackson.....but it is a weak draft class so that may be what's left to pick from.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm fine with Parker at ten.

Peters character scares me

Big Marpet and Havenstein fan

The other two? Not crazy about either. They look like UDFAs to me especially Blackson.....but it is a weak draft class so that may be what's left to pick from.

Yeah, in the final two rounds I was just looking for kids with good measurables who might pan out if given time on the practice squad. Of course, if another E.J. Gaines who I wanted the Rams to select much earlier were to slip to the bottom of rounds 6 & 7, I'd be all for it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love Ali Marpet and the Auburn picks make sense, however, they will draft a Quarterback.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Love Ali Marpet and the Auburn picks make sense, however, they will draft a Quarterback.

They might. I had Carden in the 6th round before I changed it. Had Blake Sims in the 7th round before I changed that selection. But, I don't think they should if Winston or Mariota don't fall into their laps or Nick Marshall doesn't have a change of heart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm so-so on it. It's certainly different. But just not the direction I'm hoping for. And I know people are falling in love with this Marpet kid but I gotta wonder how many people have seen him play. I have no Hobart games so I can't advocate for a guy I can't evaluate. Not to say I'm writing the guy off...just that I won't give an opinion on a guy I haven't seen play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm so-so on it. It's certainly different. But just not the direction I'm hoping for. And I know people are falling in love with this Marpet kid but I gotta wonder how many people have seen him play. I have no Hobart games so I can't advocate for a guy I can't evaluate. Not to say I'm writing the guy off...just that I won't give an opinion on a guy I haven't seen play.

On Marpet everyone is hoping for Jahri Evans. I haven't seen him play but he looked very good at the Sr. bowl. He was one of the best Olinemen there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, in the final two rounds I was just looking for kids with good measurables who might pan out if given time on the practice squad. Of course, if another E.J. Gaines who I wanted the Rams to select much earlier were to slip to the bottom of rounds 6 & 7, I'd be all for it.

BTW taking Peters makes sense with the Rams having to pay both Tru and JJ next offseason I get what you do there and yes I agree he looks like a shutdown corner. It's just the character concerns, but since when does that ever deter Fosher.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Two QB prospects worth taking are Sean Mannion & Bryce Petty I have them rated as my #3&4 qb.. both came from pro style and can throw the ball well...If we can't land either of them then wait another year but by doing that might give Foles a little more $ leverage in the following off season though

Memphis Ram

Legend
Two QB prospects worth taking are Sean Mannion & Bryce Petty I have them rated as my #3&4 qb.. both came from pro style and can throw the ball well...If we can't land either of them then wait another year but by doing that might give Foles a little more $ leverage in the following off season though

Baylor runs a pro style offense now?

I considered Mannion, but liked the Olinemen better with those 3rd & 4th round selections and didn't think he'd last till the bottom of rounds 6 or 7.

In the end, I'm in the minority that hasn't given up on Austin Davis just yet. In fact, I believe that he really played well for a guy with his limited experience and that people have graded him as if he were a veteran starter. It's as if there is absolutely no room for improvement and that he played at his career peak performance immediately as a first time starter.:confused:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On Marpet everyone is hoping for Jahri Evans. I haven't seen him play but he looked very good at the Sr. bowl. He was one of the best Olinemen there.

He might very well be that. I just can't advocate for a guy I haven't seen play. I guess I could but I'd rather get it wrong or right based on my ability to evaluate(because it tells me what I'm doing right and wrong as an evaluator) than just by guessing. Know what I mean?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He might very well be that. I just can't advocate for a guy I haven't seen play. I guess I could but I'd rather get it wrong or right based on my ability to evaluate(because it tells me what I'm doing right and wrong as an evaluator) than just by guessing. Know what I mean?

All you have to go on is the Senior Bowl and its practices. What does getting film of him playing get you? He didn't play against division 1 schools. His best level of competition was at the Sr. Bowl and he did very well there.

Stel

Starter
I'd be okay with those first three rounds but I don't think Peters makes it to #41. He has scary character issues but undeniable talent - probably near top 10 talent. Too many teams need a top notch CB and someone will roll the dice on him. New England at #32, New Orleans at #31, or one of the early 2nd round picks seems likely to me. And there is always Cincinnati at #21!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you have to go on is the Senior Bowl and its practices. What does getting film of him playing get you? He didn't play against division 1 schools. His best level of competition was at the Sr. Bowl and he did very well there.

Because you can still see what he's doing right and wrong...even against D-III kids. Plus, I don't have all the practice tape and game tape from the Senior Bowl either.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Same here. Can't get behind, or mock a player that I've never seen play. I like the rest of it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Parker at 10 no problem there and we also need CB help. IMO you can never have too many CB's especially ones that can cover.

Im lukewarm on Marpet but mostly because I have not seen him play. I like a guy like Tre' Jackson in the 3rd but you may have had him picked already.

Love the Havenstein pick but why do I think he will be gone before the 4th.

Overall good draft hard to complain about much. I like the different approach because I would not be surprised if they took this approach. I don't do a lot of mocks but I was getting ready to post one and it included both Parker and Peters for the same reasons you mentioned. I can deep 6 that mock now lol.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like Parker at 10 no problem there and we also need CB help. IMO you can never have too many CB's especially ones that can cover.

Im lukewarm on Marpet but mostly because I have not seen him play. I like a guy like Tre' Jackson in the 3rd but you may have had him picked already.

Love the Havenstein pick but why do I think he will be gone before the 4th.

Overall good draft hard to complain about much. I like the different approach because I would not be surprised if they took this approach. I don't do a lot of mocks but I was getting ready to post one and it included both Parker and Peters for the same reasons you mentioned. I can deep 6 that mock now lol.
If Peter's is there at that pick, you can't pass him up. He's too good. I was also thinking about mocking him in my draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd be okay with those first three rounds but I don't think Peters makes it to #41. He has scary character issues but undeniable talent - probably near top 10 talent. Too many teams need a top notch CB and someone will roll the dice on him. New England at #32, New Orleans at #31, or one of the early 2nd round picks seems likely to me. And there is always Cincinnati at #21!

I'd be shocked if the Bengals selected him at #21. They still have Leon Hall, used a 1st rounder on Dre Kirkpatrick 3 years ago and another one on Darqueze Dennard last year.

Memphis Ram

Legend

See Tre' Jackson as a RG only which lowered his value for me.