Memento's Trade-Down Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
RELEASE

Scott Wells
Jake Long
Kendall Langford
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
Eugene Sims
Isaiah Pead

(No real surprises yet. Westbrooks takes Sims' spot on the roster.)

RESTRUCTURE

Sam Bradford

(Better than anyone we're going to get on the market.)

CONVERT

Lamarcus Joyner (CB - FS)
Maurice Alexander (SS - OLB)

(Joyner is going to be my starter at free safety. He has the ball skills, and he's a ferocious hitter as well. Alexander gives us a fresh look at OLB and possibly gets some snaps in Dunbar's former role.)

RESIGN

Kenny Britt
Cory Harkey
Mike Person
Shaun Hill

(Britt wants to come back, and he deserves a long-term deal. Harkey does not replace Kendricks (but I'll get to that in a moment), but he's an important part of our offense, so he stays. Person and Hill are there for depth.)

SIGN

Clint Boling
Tyson Alualu

(Boling will immediately start for us at guard, while Alualu is a solid pass-rushing DT who can also move out to end on rushing downs.)

TRADE

William Hayes and 2015 fifth round pick to Dallas Cowboys for 2nd round pick.

#10 overall pick (Brandon Scherff) to Miami Dolphins for #14 overall pick and 3rd round pick.

Zac Stacy to Buffalo Bills for fifth round pick.

(Even though the Cowboys are still in the playoffs, they don't have much at DE. So they upgrade with Hayes, while we get a second in return. The Dolphins run a power O, but need linemen even more than we do. The Bills without C.J. Spiller are one-dimensional, and with Ryan now at the helm, a back like Stacy is very attractive.)

DRAFT

1st - Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford.

2a - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia.

2b - Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota.

3a - Markus Golden, DE, Missouri.

3b - Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State.

5th - Joey Mbu, DT, Houston.

7th - Josh Shaw, CB, USC.

(Peat solves our problem at right tackle, where I feel that he would fit just fine in a ZBS due to his amazing footwork and massive size. Gurley is a once-in-a-generation running back on the same scale as SJax. Williams is a Witten clone with more athleticism; he replaces Kendricks. Markus Golden fills in the essential left end role that Hayes leaves behind. Rashad Greene is purely BPA; out of all of the receivers in this draft, I feel that he is at least the 4th best (behind White, Cooper, and Parker). Mbu is the guy who allowed former Rams - and Houston - players Sammy Brown and Philip Steward to record their stats: a solid run-stuffer. Shaw is a huge character risk, but in the seventh round, I'm willing to take it.)

Thoughts would be deeply appreciated. Thank you, and as always, GO RAMS!

Athos

Legend
Who's our C in this?
DE over LB?

TE is a luxury pick in the 2nd, one we cannot afford.

Gurley won't last to our pick in the 2nd.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who's our C in this?
DE over LB?

TE is a luxury pick in the 2nd, one we cannot afford.

Gurley won't last to our pick in the 2nd.

Barrett Jones is our center.

And yes, DE over linebacker. Yes, a tight end in the second round. Yes, Gurley will last (running backs with torn ACLs + suspensions happen to do that). I'm going for the best overall value with each pick. In a very weak quarterback class like this, that's all I'm willing to do. And why draft a linebacker who will barely see any snaps over a defensive end who will most assuredly see action?

Memphis Ram

Legend
TRADE

William Hayes and 2015 fifth round pick to Dallas Cowboys for 2nd round pick.

Lost me right here. Pretty good depth in this draft for pass rushers. And Hayes is more valuable to the Rams than he would be for the Cowboys to make that trade.

VERY doubtful that any team would even consider such a trade for the soon to be 30 year old Hayes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So we go into 2015 with Sam and Shaun? I would REALLY like to see us bring in a QB and/or draft one. As much as I would like to see Sam be our QB, I just don't think you can rely on him and Shaun simply didn't impress me at all.

Athos

Legend
I struggle just plugging Jones in there with no tangible idea of what he'd be like in the role and no legit backup at C.

Dunbar is on his last legs and Alec needs a superior LB opposite him. So yea, would go for an earlier round LB if there's a stud. If there isn't, I do like Golden, but....nope.

TE.....yea, unless Kendricks and Harkey are gone, I can't really see how a rookie TE would see the field much.

Gurley is elite RB talent. I can see a patient team taking him in the 1st. I could see Hags taking him. I could see other teams trading down and taking him at the bottom of the 1st. But if he does end up at pick 8 in the 2nd, you would be dump not to take him.

Also, I highly doubt Peat lasts until 14. Best pure OT in the draft. Sheriff looks more like a Pro-Bowl OG.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I struggle just plugging Jones in there with no tangible idea of what he'd be like in the role and no legit backup at C.

Dunbar is on his last legs and Alec needs a superior LB opposite him. So yea, would go for an earlier round LB if there's a stud. If there isn't, I do like Golden, but....nope.

TE.....yea, unless Kendricks and Harkey are gone, I can't really see how a rookie TE would see the field much.

Gurley is elite RB talent. I can see a patient team taking him in the 1st. I could see Hags taking him. I could see other teams trading down and taking him at the bottom of the 1st. But if he does end up at pick 8 in the 2nd, you would be dump not to take him.

Also, I highly doubt Peat lasts until 14. Best pure OT in the draft. Sheriff looks more like a Pro-Bowl OG.

I imagine us playing out of a 4-2-5 base with three safeties (McDonald, Joyner, and Barron). Alexander looks like he could be an OLB, and I don't see his size deterring him. And honestly, I don't see a huge difference-maker at linebacker in the rounds where I'd take one.

Williams is taking Kendricks' spot in this scenario. No way I'd count on Bayer and J. Cunningham as replacements for Lance, and there's no way I'd take a pure fullback with the way things have changed and given how good Harkey has been.

Peat lasts because he's a pure OT and isn't as talented as Clemmings and Stanley or as versatile as those two, Collins, and Scherff. Only reason why I'm trading down is because I think that Clemmings and Stanley are long gone.

Lost me right here. Pretty good depth in this draft for pass rushers. And Hayes is more valuable to the Rams than he would be for the Cowboys to make that trade.

VERY doubtful that any team would even consider such a trade for the soon to be 30 year old Hayes.

Jerry would make that trade. He's in a win-now situation with mediocre-at-best pass-rushers. And I want to get something for Hayes before his value plummets.

So we go into 2015 with Sam and Shaun? I would REALLY like to see us bring in a QB and/or draft one. As much as I would like to see Sam be our QB, I just don't think you can rely on him and Shaun simply didn't impress me at all.

As much as I would love to draft a quarterback, there's only two in this entire class that could step right in and play at an NFL caliber level. One of them has major maturity issues, and both of them would require a trade-up that would likely require futures. And I never want to prioritize need over pure talent.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as I would love to draft a quarterback, there's only two in this entire class that could step right in and play at an NFL caliber level. One of them has major maturity issues, and both of them would require a trade-up that would likely require futures. And I never want to prioritize need over pure talent.
Yeah - I'm all about acquiring talent as well but I think we need to get a QB now - not necessarily the top two - and start grooming him. I also think we need to find a way to bring in a more talented FA to back up Sam.

BTW - I love the addition of Gurley. Not sure he lasts that long but that would be a great addition IMO.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah - I'm all about acquiring talent as well but I think we need to get a QB now - not necessarily the top two - and start grooming him. I also think we need to find a way to bring in a more talented FA to back up Sam.

BTW - I love the addition of Gurley. Not sure he lasts that long but that would be a great addition IMO.

Other than the top two, there isn't a single quarterback that I like in terms of skill-set. Hundley is a great athlete, but an atrocious quarterback. Petty will likely be overdrafted (as in the bottom of the first round). Everyone else in the draft isn't an upgrade over what we had the past two years, and I don't want to waste my time developing them when we can get a quarterback in a much deeper 2016 class. Honestly, I'm stunned that a kid like Gunner Kiel hasn't already declared; if he did, I'd definitely draft him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jerry would make that trade. He's in a win-now situation with mediocre-at-best pass-rushers. And I want to get something for Hayes before his value plummets.

So he's going to make that trade for a soon to be 30 year old DE, on the last year of his contract, who only had 4 sacks last year (5 the year before)? No way.

Last edited: