Memento's Second 2015 Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
TRADE: 2015 #1 overall pick to the Rams for 2015 - 2017 first round picks.

#1 overall pick: Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon.

This can't wait any longer. I'm more than a little concerned about Winston's character off-the-field, and I don't think Hundley's the right guy. For the record, Schottenheimer isn't our OC anymore in this mock.

As for Mariota, he literally has every tool that you'd want out of a quarterback, and with quarterback being the single most important need of this team, I say that you shoot for the moon here. We have the ability to find talent in almost every round, but without a quarterback, we're not getting to .500, let alone the playoffs.

Second round pick: Spencer Drango, OG, Baylor.

Drango is an incredibly-gifted tackle who also has the body-type to be an elite left guard and kick Saffold over to the right side. Personally, I'd rather have Ty Sambraillo, but he's likely going in the first round.

Third round pick: Markus Golden, DE, Missouri.

Call me crazy, but I think that Golden slips to the third round because he doesn't have an ideal frame for a defensive end. But he's very sound in technical terms, boasts a variety of pass-rushing moves, and has underrated athleticism.

Fifth round pick: Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma.

The thing that immediately comes to mind is that Thompson absolutely dominated Shawn Oakman, a guy who has a top fifteen grade in this draft. He'd be a plug-and-play player at right tackle, in case Barksdale decides to leave.

Seventh round pick: Rory Anderson, TE, South Carolina.

A hybrid tight end/wide receiver in the Ladarius Green mold, Anderson provides depth and a replacement for Cook down the road.

Athos

Legend
Golden is going 1st round and that isn't even up for debate. Don't think Mariota is worth 2 1sts.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Golden is going 1st round and that isn't even up for debate. Don't think Mariota is worth 2 1sts.

Golden is not a first-round prospect. The Combine is going to hurt his stock tremendously because all of the teams are going to salivate over the defensive ends that are 6'4"-6'8" with vine-like arms (and believe me, this defensive end class is as stacked as I've seen in a while because you could see seven or so going in the first round.) Golden, by comparison, is 6'3", 260 lbs, and he's got a similar frame to Michael Sam. In addition, he's only a 4'3" DE, which will cause teams to devalue him; he's not as versatile as his teammate, Ray.

And I think Mariota is more than worth two firsts. We've shown that we can find talent everywhere. We're a quarterback and offensive line away from winning the West right now, and we're not going to have another shot to draft a blue-chip talent at quarterback in the coming years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lost me with the trade. I make that trade for Andrew Luck. But, not for a kid that's going to have to make a significant adjustment to the NFL game. Besides, the Redskins gave up more to move up from #6 to #2. Unless the Rams loose out this team looks like it going to be selecting in the teens, IMO.

To date, I have major doubts that that Thompson makes it to the Rams selection in the 5th round.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Lost me with the trade. I make that trade for Andrew Luck. But, not for a kid that's going to have to make a significant adjustment to the NFL game.

To date, I have major doubts that that Thompson makes it to the Rams selection in the 5th round.

There's not going to be another Luck. Mariota's pretty much the closest I've seen to Luck talent-wise, and he has a chance to be a really special player. I think it's not a matter of "if" we're going to take that chance.

Thompson makes it to the fifth round because of maturity issues, inconsistency, and because he fits best as a right tackle in the NFL. He's a guy for Boudreau to coach up.

Athos

Legend
Sorry dude. Combine doesn't mean shit. All I need is the video. And as an MU fan, Golden is freakish. And Golden is sure as shit not Michael Sam.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There's not going to be another Luck. Mariota's pretty much the closest I've seen to Luck talent-wise, and he has a chance to be a really special player. I think it's not a matter of "if" we're going to take that chance.

Either way, unless the Rams tank, chances are pretty strong that the team with the #1 pick will want at least what the Redskins gave up to move 4 spots to drop a low as the Rams will probably wind up.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Sorry dude. Combine doesn't mean crap. All I need is the video. And as an MU fan, Golden is freakish. And Golden is sure as crap not Michael Sam.

Never said that Golden was Sam; he just has the same kind of body shape. Short, strong, stocky. And the Combine means a lot to these NFL teams. Golden isn't the kind of athletic freak that Shane Ray is. Hell, he's not even more freakish than Kony Ealy was. And this defensive end class is seriously strong right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a real chance that Golden falls to the 3rd. I agree with Memento on that...he'd be a good pick there.

I also love the Drango pick...although I've heard concerning things about his back.

Here are my issues:
1. I am not okay with three 1sts for Mariota. I am fine with us trading two firsts + another pick to move up but three firsts is far too much.

2. It's a hell no to me on Tyrus Thompson. He gives little effort as a run blocker and is the definition of soft. Doesn't finish plays. Lazy player.

3. Also a strong no on Rory Anderson. Tremendously talented as a pass catcher but he's always nicked up(injury prone + soft) and drops way too many passes. Think of Jared Cook without durability or freakish athleticism.

Memento

Name
Jemma
There's a real chance that Golden falls to the 3rd. I agree with Memento on that...he'd be a good pick there.

I also love the Drango pick...although I've heard concerning things about his back.

Here are my issues:
1. I am not okay with three 1sts for Mariota. I am fine with us trading two firsts + another pick to move up but three firsts is far too much.

2. It's a hell no to me on Tyrus Thompson. He gives little effort as a run blocker and is the definition of soft. Doesn't finish plays. Lazy player.

3. Also a strong no on Rory Anderson. Tremendously talented as a pass catcher but he's always nicked up(injury prone + soft) and drops way too many passes. Think of Jared Cook without durability or freakish athleticism.

I'm only saying three firsts because we're competing with a lot of other teams (Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Washington Redskins). I'd rather not get outbid because then we get nothing.

Also, I didn't realize that about Thompson. Thank you for pointing it out. I just saw the Baylor game and him dominating Oakman. In Anderson's case, it was a matter of finding a tight end who would last to the seventh and still have potential as a pass-catcher. Anderson was the only one I saw who fit the bill...because I'm going to be frank right now: I cannot stand all of the passiveness in the running game and the continuous mental errors that Cook makes on a weekly basis. He's paid far too much for what he provides.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm only saying three firsts because we're competing with a lot of other teams (Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Washington Redskins). I'd rather not get outbid because then we get nothing.

If we get outbid, we get outbid. Winston and Hundley are still available. If you don't want either of those, I'd reach out and see if a team is willing to trade their signal caller...or we stick with Bradford for another year. Three firsts is just too much risk.

Also, I didn't realize that about Thompson. Thank you for pointing it out. I just saw the Baylor game and him dominating Oakman. In Anderson's case, it was a matter of finding a tight end who would last to the seventh and still have potential as a pass-catcher. Anderson was the only one I saw who fit the bill...because I'm going to be frank right now: I cannot stand all of the passiveness in the running game and the continuous mental errors that Cook makes on a weekly basis. He's paid far too much for what he provides.

Well, unfortunately, Anderson will give you the same thing...except with less talent than Cook. If you're looking for a TE that late, maybe take a chance on Jake McGee or Kivon Cartwright...both of whom have receiving talent but are missing the entire season with injuries.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
TRADE: 2015 #1 overall pick to the Rams for 2015 - 2017 first round picks.
No offense, Memento, but I really, really, REALLY hope not.

Though at least you didn't take Winston... ;)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think Hundley is a guy Fisher would love to have. Strong arm, smart and mobile.
If he does make it to us, I can't see Fisher / Snead letting him get by. Maybe even move up a couple spots if needed.
I can't see giving up that much though to get Marriotta.
I think there was some legitimate interest in Manziel before the draft. This year there should most certainly be a plan to grab one of the big 3. I don't want Winston, but that isn't up to me, obviously.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense, Memento, but I really, really, REALLY hope not.

Though at least you didn't take Winston... ;)

That's the issue haha. If you're trading 3 firsts, go big or go home. :p

Memento

Name
Jemma
That's the issue haha. If you're trading 3 firsts, go big or go home. :p

That's exactly how I feel. I'm going big with Mariota, and I'm not going home without a QB. ;)