Memento's Final 2018 Draft. (HYPE)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, I don't foresee us making any more moves, but I do have a few trades:

Trades

Mark Barron to the Indianapolis Colts for #104 overall (fourth) and #178 overall (sixth).

(I like Barron, but I see him as an eventual cap casualty next year, so I want to get something for him beforehand. Anyway, Indy needs a WILL linebacker for their new 4-3, so a Barron trade makes sense for both sides.)

Sean Mannion to the Carolina Panthers for #161 overall (fifth).

(Mannion is a good backup, especially since the only quarterback behind Newton is Garrett Gilbert - if any of you can remember him.)

Now for the draft!

Draft:

#87 overall - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State.

(Yes, I know that I took him in the third instead of late first or early second, but hear me out. He's a small-school player with injury concerns and drops. Cooper Kupp fell to the third instead of the early second, so it's not like Goedert would be the first player to fall because of that. In any case, he's an athletic tight end who can make the insane catches, and he works hard as a blocker. McVay will love this chess piece.)

#104 overall - Shaquem Griffin, ILB, UCF.

(Griffin would go to the first round if he had two hands. I can't say enough about this kid, and I think he's an instant impact starter at inside linebacker, taking Barron's place next to Littleton.)

#111 overall - Kemoko Turay, OLB, Rutgers.

(Turay falls this far because of injury concerns to his shoulders. When healthy, he wreaks utter havoc on the field. He'll back up Ebukam and Longacre.)

#135 overall - Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College.

(Yiadom has been compared to Bashaud Breeland, and that intrigues me quite a bit. I know that it's early for a cornerback, but Talib is only here for two years; Shields - most likely - only one.)

#136 overall - John Kelly, RB, Tennessee.

(Here's our third down back. Kelly has soft hands, breaks tackles like it's going out of style, and like his former teammate Kamara, he'll likely be a better pro than college player. How is he falling this far? Because he has a few off the field issues. Other than that, he's a solid player.

#161 overall - Hercules Mata'afa, OLB, Washington State.

(Mata'afa was explosive from his defensive tackle position, which gives me hope that he'll be a solid backup edge rusher for now, and maybe more in the future. He's admittedly a tweener, but that's not so bad in today's NFL.)

#176 overall - Dane Cruikshank, FS, Arizona.

(Cruikshank played as a cornerback at Arizona, but he'll have to switch to safety at the next level. The good news is that he has the hands of a wide receiver, and he's a tackling machine. The bad? He struggles with coverage. Ultimately, he'll be the Cody Davis replacement.)

#178 overall - Alex Cappa, OT/OG, Humboldt State.

(Here's a small school offensive lineman in Cappa, who's been nitpicked. People are now saying he'll be a guard. I see their point, but I respectfully disagree. I think that he can be a solid swing tackle for us at first and learn everything he can from Whitworth before taking over.)

#183 overall - Jack Cichy, ILB, Wisconsin.

(I had Cichy in an early mock of mine, and I came back to him when I watched tape and evaluation of other inside linebackers. Unlike Burks, Sam, and Avery, Cichy is a damn good player who just happens to have major injury concerns. I'd take a second day talent in the sixth round any day and especially Sunday.)

#194 overall - Timon Parris, OT/OG, Stony Brook.

(Parris is another small school lineman who dominated his competition from the left tackle spot. I don't think he'll play left tackle in the pros, but he can be a hell of a right tackle and guard.)

#195 overall - Jamil Demby, OG/OT, Maine.

(Demby is the last small school lineman in my draft, and he's a good player. He'll back up both guard positions, and maybe take over for Saffold or Brown.)

UDFAs

Nic Shimonek, QB, Texas Tech.

(Shimonek has enough arm talent to be worth a shot as a UDFA, even though he's only a one year starter. He immediately backs up Goff.

Olasunkamni Adeniyi, OLB, Toledo.

(Adeniyi has a motor that doesn't quit no matter what, but his lack of athletic traits make him a UDFA. Here we pick him up just in case Longacre struggles after his back injury.)

Jeremy Reaves, SS, South Alabama

(Reaves can flat out hit. He's known for bone-crushing hits, and he'd fit perfectly on special teams. He needs a lot of work in coverage, but he's got soft hands for a strong safety.

Jojo Wicker, DE, Arizona State

(Undersized? Yeah. But Wicker can rush the passer like few can, but with Easley struggling to stay healthy, I think that Wicker could be a good pickup for us.)

Frank Ginda, ILB, San Jose State.

(The leader in tackles last season isn't a big or athletic guy, but he's instinctive. If he does make the roster, it'll probably be because of special teams.)

D'Montre Wade, CB, Murray State.

(Wade is a press corner who struggles with off-ball coverage and played against lower competition. He'll fit in as a UDFA.)

Andre Chachere, CB, San Jose State.

(Chachere struggled last year, but was excellent the year before then. He's worth a shot as a UDFA.)

53 Man Roster.

QB - Jared Goff, Nic Shimonek.
RB - Todd Gurley, John Kelly, Malcolm Brown.
TE - Gerald Everett, Dallas Goedert, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway.
WR - Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Pharoh Cooper, Josh Reynolds, Mike Thomas, Tavon Austin.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Austin Blythe, Alex Cappa, Timon Parris, Jamil Demby.
DL - Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Ndamukong Suh, Ethan Westbrooks, Tanzel Smart, Morgan Fox.
LB - Matt Longacre, Shaquem Griffin, Cory Littleton, Samson Ebukam, Kemoko Turay, Hercules Mata'afa, Ejuan Price, Jack Cichy, Bryce Hager.
DB - Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Lamarcus Joyner, John Johnson III, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Sam Shields, Isaac Yiadom, Dane Cruikshank, Kevin Peterson, Blake Countess.
K - Greg Zuerlein.
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide.

Practice Squad:

Jake Eldrenkamp
Sam Rogers
Justin Davis
Omarius Bryant
Frank Ginda
Jojo Wicker
Olasunkamni Adeniyi
Jeremy Reaves
D'Montre Wade
Andre Chachere

Thoughts, comments, and critiques are very much welcome!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Nice Mock @Memento - on first glance it looks solid. I like the fact that you've looked at the smaller school players - my only concern is the backup QB position.

There are a couple of guys here that I've not looked at too, thanks for brining them to my attention, I'll look at them in more depth and get back to you ;)

TexasRam

Legend
Looks solid. Hopefully Goedert and Griffin fall that far. Unlikely but you never know.

Don’t forget about Troy Hill, he’s a lock at that 5th CB spot based on his cap friendly contract and his excellent play last year. Started the last 3 games and the playoff game and turned in some
Excellent play.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree that Sean Mannion would be a better option than Garrett Gilbert, however, I would not be confident in Nic Shimonek being the backup for our own Jared Thomas Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento, the players are great, but where we're getting them is way optimistic.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I like some alot of this mock, but 2 huge issues not addressed.

The Good - getting something for Barron even though I would keep him.
Love Goedart I feel he is the best TE in draft huge production and young. Hurst is 24. Doubtful he lasts to where we pick in the third but you never know there will be one or 2 surprises that make the third round at #23 or somewhere a little earlier that will not cost Snead to much draft capital to move up.

I like all the LBs I would switch out a couple for others but great job addressing that.

The Bad: .Ridiculous to get rid of Mannion and have an unproven BU as QB. Flat out stupid! We have assembled a monster of a team one that has a real legitimate chance to contend for a Superbowl and that is your backup an UDFA crazy. Mannion can start instantly without missing a beat we can't do that move it would spell disaster.

To a lesser degree something else not addressed is a backup LT. We must have a solid gameplan in place. Instead of Goedart and I love him move up some for Orlando Brown if still there early in the third round. I have stated after reviewing all the prospects available at LT in the draft specifically in the later rounds there seems to be no good options. All have different type of warts.

Overall good job but the LT and BU QB need more thought.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like trading Barron and TBH don't much like making trades like this in mocks.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but for those of us that don't have time to scout all the college players, it is much more beneficial to get a realistic picture of how the draft might shake out for the Rams. Not that you do it for us, but still thought I would throw it out there..

Love reading your stuff though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bad: .Ridiculous to get rid of Mannion and have an unproven BU as QB. Flat out stupid! We have assembled a monster of a team one that has a real legitimate chance to contend for a Superbowl and that is your backup an UDFA crazy. Mannion can start instantly without missing a beat we can't do that move it would spell disaster.

Mannion as our starter would be a total disaster. I'm with Memento on upgrading the backup QB. Mannion is a good guy, but he doesn't have the goods as a QB imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Shimonek as a potential future back up, but he may be too raw to be Goff's backup this year. I also like White as a backup, but Snead would have to pick him higher. I am not a Mannion fan. His lack of mobility hinders him too much. I don't mean as a runner, but just moving in the pocket.

I like the idea of targeting some small school OLine talent. By the time the Rams get picking, I think most good OTs will be long gone, in this weak OT class. I hope Kromer has spotted some gems that he can develop.

I'd prefer Mark Walton as the third down back. Rashad Penny would be fantastic but isn't likely to be available.

I don't think they have a chance at Goeddert. He is regarded as a first round pick and the best TE of the group. He looks slow to me when watching highlights, but he is being dubbed Kelce 2.0. Maybe he reaches the top of round 2.

It will be interesting to see if Mark Barron really ends up as a cap cut. It seems that he'd be a candidate, but Wade supposedly loves his versatility. Having two young ilbs starting along with two young OLBs is worrisome. I know they have Longacre but as the veteran of the group, if Barron is trading, the lack of starting experience would be a concern. I would keep Barron if possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brandon Allen would be the back up, with Shimonek behind him. I could live with that.
Hard to believe a team would give up a 5th for a 1 year rental when there are street guys as good (meaning unproven) that wouldn't cost a draft pick.
Love the top 3 picks however at best I think we only have a chance at 1 of them.
Great job as always!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brandon Allen would be the back up, with Shimonek behind him. I could live with that.
Hard to believe a team would give up a 5th for a 1 year rental when there are street guys as good (meaning unproven) that wouldn't cost a draft pick.

You disdain for Mannion is unreal, IMO, I feel too much was being made with the start against the 49ers as multiple passes were dropped and the likes of LT Darrell Williams and Center Aaron Neary's play was absolutely atrocious not to mention how bad Gerald Everett was in that game.

With the addition of Cooks, Rams will keep Mannion IMO and will also take a long look at Branden Allen during preseason with hope that Allen can back up Goff in 2019, when Mannion becomes a free agent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You disdain for Mannion is unreal, IMO, I feel too much was being made with the start against the 49ers as multiple passes were dropped and the likes of LT Darrell Williams and Center Aaron Neary's play was absolutely atrocious not to mention how bad Gerald Everett was in that game.

With the addition of Cooks, Rams will keep Mannion IMO and will also take a long look at Branden Allen during preseason with hope that Allen can back up Goff in 2019, when Mannion becomes a free agent.
Disdain? It’s called common sense.
He’s only around for 1 more year so If they could get a 5th rounder for him (which they can’t) it makes total sense.
And yes he was terrible against the 9ers in his big chance.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
kappa will also be long gone by said drafted spot. I would have preferred more OL picked w/ our higher picks. I think we can maybe add a single CB at the most imho. I like the thought of adding another TE but I just couldn't sign off on it.

Personally I would use Baron & our 3rd to move up in the 3rd while adding a 6th to net us a LT like Crosby or an equal type talent prospect. Then w/ one of our 4th get a OG then with the rest of picks focus on LB core and an RB weapon. Just my 2 cents (Cdn currency lol)...

Now if some how Snead lands us Cappa we all will be happy watching him destroy people for TG3!!! He's one of my favourite prospects in the draft period.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmmmm

Think you forgot to add Easley....he should beat out Fox or...Smart....yes????

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Mannion as our starter would be a total disaster. I'm with Memento on upgrading the backup QB. Mannion is a good guy, but he doesn't have the goods as a QB imo.

I completely disagree. You want a backup that went undrafted running a Ferrari offense are you nuts. I would fire you as a GM if you made that move. Offenses take time to learn, timing with WRs take time to learn, working with your OL and getting to know their nuances takes time to learn.

Have you thought why your QB choice didn't get drafted because he probably is beyond mediocre. You all may not like Mannion but you don't trade him for a 5th rounder then leave a gaping hole in the Offense at backup QB and try to fill it with an UDFA again I will say flay out stupid!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I completely disagree. You want a backup that went undrafted running a Ferrari offense are you nuts. I would fire you as a GM if you made that move.

Yea, whatever would we do if we were forced to have a backup who previously went undraftex running a high-octane offense. Oh right, we'd win a Super Bowl. Hey, Kurt Warner, how are you doing? I don't care if a guy was a UDFA. I care if he can play. Mansion can't at this level. I'd fire you for poor tslent evaluation if you think Mannion can run this offense effectively.

I'd much rather have Logan Woodside running this offense than Sean Mannion. I'd also rather have Brandon Allen than Mannion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea, whatever would we do if we were forced to have a backup who previously went undraftex running a high-octane offense. Oh right, we'd win a Super Bowl. Hey, Kurt Warner, how are you doing? I don't care if a guy was a UDFA. I care if he can play. Mansion can't at this level. I'd fire you for poor tslent evaluation if you think Mannion can run this offense effectively.

I'd much rather have Logan Woodside running this offense than Sean Mannion. I'd also rather have Brandon Allen than Mannion.
Bringing up Kurt as the example is a pretty poor argument. It happens once in a blue moon.

I can get with the contract concern as to why to move on from Mannion as a back-up but the idea that we are going to get a better back-up with a very late round pick or UDFA is scarcely backed up in reality. Is Allen a better option? Only if the coaches feel he is. He has yet to supplant Mannion - so I'm doubting it at this point. Regardless, losing Mannion and only getting a long shot prospect seems like very poor planning. In that scenario, if Goff goes down, we're screwed and the season is almost assuredly lost. I realize you think little of Mannion but he has is far better than anything we are going to get late in the draft or after, he knows the system, and didn't set Pac 12 passing records by accident - no matter how much you dismiss his abilities.

If we can truly upgrade the position, I'm all for it. Obviously we won't have the money to do it through FA. So putting your eggs in the basket of some young, small school over achiever is not my idea of smart business. Go get a guy this year that you think will upgrade our back-up QB position in the future. But getting rid of Mannion and counting on a rookie or Allen is just not wise IMO unless Allen has made huge strides.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bringing up Kurt as the example is a pretty poor argument. It happens once in a blue moon.

I can get with the contract concern as to why to move on from Mannion as a back-up but the idea that we are going to get a better back-up with a very late round pick or UDFA is scarcely backed up in reality.

Kurt being rare doesn't change the point. You play the best player. Mannion is a bad backup QB when it comes to on the field play. I'd rather take a shot on an unknown than a known I don't believe in. And if someone offers a 5th, we'd be fools to pass on it. It's hard to do much worse than Mannion imo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I realize you think little of Mannion but he has is far better than anything we are going to get late in the draft or after, he knows the system, and didn't set Pac 12 passing records by accident - no matter how much you dismiss his abilities.

If we can truly upgrade the position, I'm all for it. Obviously we won't have the money to do it through FA. So putting your eggs in the basket of some young, small school over achiever is not my idea of smart business. Go get a guy this year that you think will upgrade our back-up QB position in the future. But getting rid of Mannion and counting on a rookie or Allen is just not wise IMO unless Allen has made huge strides.

I don't think Mannion is our best option. And he set Pac-12 records because he attempted more passes than anyone else.

I'd rather take a shot on an unknown who might be able to play than keep a guy I don't believe can play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Mannion is our best option. And he set Pac-12 records because he attempted more passes than anyone else.

I'd rather take a shot on an unknown who might be able to play than keep a guy I don't believe can play.
Yeah, not sure what college passing records have to do with it. Mannion had his chance to shine last year vs San Fran and he totally blew it.