Memento's 2013 Mock Draft (Final Version)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay...this will actually feature a trade in the first round (won't be predicting trades in the later rounds, though...). Since it's my final draft, I'll be pulling out all of the stops with analysis and everything. Okay, here it goes:

#16 overall - TRADED to the Houston Texans for #27 and #57. The Texans have a huge need for a receiver. Without Andre Johnson, they don't really have a receiving threat. I honestly don't think that Tavon Austin or Chance Warmack will be there at that point; the former's too much of a game-breaker with the ball in his hands, and the latter is regarded as one of the best guards to come out in recent memory. However, I think Patterson will be there. I'm not much of a fan of Patterson; he's a big unpolished wideout, and I believe that we already have most of his attributes in Quick. But Houston will certainly be interested; he has a ton of potential, and he would make an excellent number two receiver who could eventually become a number one when Johnson declines and/or retires. So, they'll give us their first and second round picks to move up and take their future number one receiver.

-

#22 overall pick - Matt Elam, free safety, Florida.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gic39ASBQDE[/youtube]

Positives: Elam is easily one of my favorite safeties in this class because he's just so versatile. He did everything that his team asked him to do. He was the heart-and-soul of the Gators' defense and one of their most consistent players throughout his career. Elam is - first and foremost - a hard-hitting safety who is extremely fast and has impressive closing speed. With him and Darian Stewart, you could possibly have the most physical safety tandem in the NFC West now that Goldson is gone from the 49ers. Elam is fantastic in coverage; he's able to backpedal, read the quarterback's eyes like a cornerback, and come up with a big hit to jar the ball loose or deflect it away. He forces an impressive amount of turnovers, which is something that we could've used last year from our safeties. He would easily be an upgrade over Dahl.

Negatives: A big problem with Elam is his small size; he is listed at 5'9" 7/8ths officially, even though he's a solid 210 lbs. While he is good in coverage, his size may hinder him from covering the bigger tight ends. He does have one alcohol-related arrest. On the field, he has a tendency to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up, and he also tends to gamble on passes, both of which can lead to big gains. His aggressive style of play may lead to penalties and eventually fines.

Overall: Elam has incredible upside, and Fisher and Snead might be interested in trying to coach him as a playmaking safety who has the ability to be both a ballhawk and a heat-seeking missile.

Player Comparison: Bob Sanders. The 2007 Defensive Player of the Year was a key component for the Colts during their championship run. Without him, their defense was pitiful. Elam has the same hard-hitting ferocious style of play that Sanders did, but thus far, he has not had the injury concerns that Sanders had coming out. I fully expect Elam to be a similar player to the 2005 version of Sanders; it's unfair to both Elam and Sanders to expect him to be as good as Sanders' best year.

-

#27 overall pick - Larry Warford, offensive guard, Kentucky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glV9ET261DQ[/youtube]

Positives: I know, I know, a lot of people consider Warford to be a second round prospect, but he'd immediately upgrade our offensive line, and I don't think we'd get him with our second round pick. Fisher has proven that he'll "reach" for a player who has potential (see, Chris Johnson and Michael Roos). But onto Warford. He has impressive size at 6'3", 333 lbs., but what impresses me most is his mobility for a man his size. He moves like a guard who's 305, not someone at his weight. He's effective at pulling and has a real nasty streak in the run game; he finishes all of his blocks with authority. He is also an incredible pass-protector who is easily the best player on that terrible offensive line - and probably on the offense itself.

Negatives: As with any man his size, Warford is going to have to watch his conditioning. He tends to wear down a bit as the game goes on. He is strictly a right guard and cannot play tackle. He also occasionally struggles with swim moves.

Overall: Warford is my top-rated guard in this class. Yes, even over Warmack and Cooper. He is a perfect fit for our blocking scheme, and guards with his size and mobility don't grow on trees. Drafting him would force us to cut Harvey Dahl, yes, but Dahl may be declining; he did not play well last year. But think about a line with Long, Watkins, Wells, Warford, and Saffold. Think about Pead, Richardson, and Ganaway running behind that line. Yeah, we're pretty much golden.

Player Comparison: Mike Iupati. They may play different guard slots, but their overall style remains the same. Iupati is very slightly better than Warford at run-blocking, while Warford is much better at pass-protection. Both men are massive, but have very quick feet. Both can pull and dominate defensive tackles in the running game. However, Warford may just turn out even better than Iupati, and the latter is one of the best guards in the game.

-

#46 overall pick - Arthur Brown, outside linebacker, Kansas State.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZoRRPFnrWs[/youtube]

Positives: Brown's biggest quality is his leadership. That's what's gotten him Ray Lewis comparisons. He is a two-time team captain and a very hard worker who leads both vocally and by example. He is extremely instinctive; he diagnoses plays very quickly and is a very disciplined player. He was used as a spy against very mobile quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III, and he's fast enough to cover them and fluid enough to drop into coverage against tight ends. As a run-stopper, he is fantastic. He flies to the ball carrier and wraps up; he is very fundamentally sound in tackling and makes sure tackles about 99% of the time. Not used very often as a blitzer, but when he was, he showed a lot of potential. All in all, a very well-rounded linebacker.

Negatives: Brown is not the biggest linebacker at 6'0", 240 lbs, and he won't be able to play on the inside in either system. He is strictly an outside linebacker in a 4-3, which limits him a lot. There are minor questions about his maturity after he transferred from Miami to Kansas State, but those could be overblown. There are questions as to if he's a playmaker; he was not known for creating splash plays in college, and will have to quell those doubts in the pros.

Overall: Arthur Brown is actually my second rated linebacker prospect behind Jarvis Jones. The only reasons he falls to the second round is because of recent injury concerns (which are actually fairly warranted, given his size) and the fact that he's a 4-3 outside linebacker only. He'll still be a second round prospect; he just won't be a high second round pick, and that works to our advantage.

Player Comparison: NaVorro Bowman. Like Bowman, Brown's ability to stop the run and make all of the right plays are what makes him a top prospect. He's around the same size as Bowman and will also need to quell questions about whether he can make splash plays aside from tackles for a loss. I have a feeling that Brown will be able to do that, much like Bowman did.

-

#57 overall pick - Markus Wheaton, wide receiver, Oregon State.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_G2PWoTMw[/youtube]

Positives: Wheaton is extremely athletic. He's a track athlete who can actually translate it to on-the-field production. He is a legitimate deep threat who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He is best used on deep routes, but he has enough skill and intelligence to learn all of the routes. He can be utilized in the slot or on the outside, either taking the top off a defense with his second gear or running a screen or reverse. He will get you major YAC. He does a great job catching the ball in most scenarios. He is a very hard-working player who has improved every year and was voted as the team captain in his senior year.

Negatives: Wheaton is a touch on the light side (182 lbs); he could probably stand to gain a bit more muscle in an NFL strength program. He's not built to take big hits over the middle; it would be best if he got the ball in space. He could also learn to come back to the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come to him.

Overall: I can see Wheaton having a great impact at the next level as a receiver who can do similar things to what Givens can do. An offense can never have enough speed, and having Givens and Wheaton to stretch defenses - along with Cook, Quick, Pettis, Kendricks, and the receiver drafted right after Wheaton - would make our offense very respectable indeed.

Player Comparison: Antonio Brown. I see the Chris Givens/Mike Wallace comparisons and raise you a Wheaton/Brown. Like Brown, Wheaton has impressive speed with a good mix of route-running and hands. Like Brown when he came out, Wheaton could use a bit more bulk to function against the bigger cornerbacks in the league. And like Brown, Wheaton has the potential to be a very good number two receiver in the league with the potential to line up both outside and in the slot.

-

#78 overall pick - Stedman Bailey, wide receiver, West Virginia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2K1xx6bmQ[/youtube]

Positives: We may have missed out on Tavon Austin, but his college teammate is far from a bad consolation prize. While Markus Wheaton is a big play receiver we need, Bailey is the reliable receiver that you can always count on to go over the middle, run all of the right routes, help out his quarterback every time, and catch everything in sight. Bailey is one of the most polished route runners in his class; no movement is wasted, and he's very smooth in and out of his breaks. For such a small receiver, he has a large catch radius; if he gets two hands on the ball, he's not dropping it. Despite Austin's game-breaking abilities, Bailey was often the more reliable target for Geno Smith. Like Wheaton, Bailey has also shown potential to play the slot and the outside, although he may be a better fit as a slot receiver with his quickness.

Negatives: Bailey's size (5'10") is a hindrance, along with his so-so speed. He may have been able to run away from college cornerbacks and get separation, but he isn't a really fast receiver. He has some off-the-field issues, including being cited for shoplifting cold medication. He's not really a YAC type of receiver; he'll get the first down, but he doesn't really break tackles.

Overall: Bailey's skillset as a potential slot receiver who can get open and catch passes on third down meshes well with Wheaton's and the rest of our receivers, and he would be a quality addition to a receiving core that suddenly looks very dangerous. He would be a replacement for Amendola, and quite possibly even better.

Player Comparison: Steve Smith (Carolina). Like Smith, Bailey is quite tough while running inside the numbers. He may not have Smith's pure athleticism, but he certainly has the toughness, route-running, and catch radius of the star receiver. I don't envision Bailey having a better career than Smith, but he'll certainly have a good one, nonetheless.

-

#113 overall pick - T.J. McDonald, safety, USC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFbpHS-kO0[/youtube]

Positives: An impressive physical specimen at 6'3", 219 lbs., McDonald is one of the fiercest intimidators in all of college football. Unlike his predecessor, Taylor Mays, McDonald can actually cover the bigger tight ends. He is a straight-line player who closes quickly to the ball-carrier. He has incredible range for a man his size; he can close the distance to either sideline. He creates all sorts of splash plays, and while he doesn't get the interceptions you expect, he does have the ball skills to create more turnovers.

Negatives: He has been suspended games for illegal hits to the head before, and his playing style could result in penalties and fines in the NFL. He can be overaggressive and bite on play-action, and he tends to take some bad angles to the ball. He is somewhat inconsistent in coverage; a lot of days he's amazing, but there's some that'll make you wonder why he's even on the field. And don't ever put him up against a speedy receiver; it will not end well.

Overall: McDonald is insurance in case Darian Stewart gets injured again, has a bad year, or if he decides to leave after a good year. His sheer physical attributes and instincts make him an intriguing option, but his grasp of the technical aspects of the game is somewhat lacking. Sheltering him a bit and putting him up against only the tight ends would be ideal, but he can be an immediate contributor.

Player Comparison: Sean Taylor. No, this is not a joke. I don't think McDonald will be half as good as what Taylor was. But there are just so many similarities that it's impossible to ignore. Similar height (both are 6'3"), weight (Taylor's 220 to McDonald's 219) and speed (both were clocked at 4.4.), they're both enforcers for their respective teams, and in spite of their size, they cover quite well and can adequately fill both free safety and strong safety roles for their team. And I sure as hell would love to have a Sean Taylor-type on my team in case Darian Stewart falters or leaves next year.

-

#149 overall pick - B.W. Webb, cornerback/returner, William & Mary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLR_6x9kR8[/youtube]

Positives: Webb is a pure athlete. He's very fast, has impressive quick-twitch skills, and has the ability to stay with his man in coverage. He has ideal recovery speed for the position, and his ball skills are incredible. He is a lethal weapon with the ball in his hand; he has gotten two pick-sixes out of the eleven interceptions he had in his career, and he's had two punt return touchdowns to boot.

Negatives: The first thing to question is the level of competition, although he did perform well against larger schools and in big games. Webb does not have ideal size for the position, and could be relegated to a slot corner role in the NFL because of that and his lack of consistency in the running game. He does tend to take off some plays off. He is purely a zone cornerback at this point in time; his backpedal needs work, he struggles to locate the ball in man coverage, and his press coverage is terrible. He still relies too much on his athleticism to bail him out.

Overall: Webb looks like a slot corner at the next level. While he has great athleticism and returning skills, and while he's willing to support the run, he's simply not a consistent physical presence like Janoris Jenkins is to make up for his size. What he will do for you is be an excellent zone slot cornerback who will break off large punt returns and kick returns for you. That may be why he falls to the fifth round, but he's certainly a steal for us at this point.

Player Comparison: Adam "Pacman" Jones. Webb is a very similar cornerback to Jones, who was a sixth overall pick in 2005. Like Jones, Webb is a weapon with the ball in his hands, and could be the returner that this team sorely needs. Once Jones figured out his role in the NFL and got his head screwed on right, he became one of the best returners in the game.

-

#184 overall pick - Zac Stacy, running back, Vanderbilt.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOBrUQQNzo[/youtube]

Positives: Stacy is a productive back who played at a high level in one of the toughest conferences in America. He has incredible power for a back his size (5'9", 208 lbs.) and he gets a lot of yards after contact. He has even more incredible vision and can pick out a hole and squeeze through it for positive yards. He plays a lot bigger than his listed measurements and is a willing and able blocker.

Negatives: Stacy does not have breakaway speed, and he is not a very large back at all. Aside from that, he has some injury issues that could scare off teams.

Overall: Stacy is a small, but very powerful and compact running back that would be a perfect compliment to the three that they already have.

Player Comparison: Mark Ingram. Like Ingram, Stacy is a powerful running back with great vision who does not have optimal size or speed. Like Ingram, Stacy has had some injury concerns in his career. But Stacy was insanely productive like his comparison, and could end up being a huge sleeper pick.

-

#222 overall pick - Jake Knott, outside linebacker, Iowa State

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJUBRoetWc[/youtube]

Positives: With your seventh round pick, you should probably take a calculated risk. Why not take said risk on a player who's fallen because of injury? Pre-injury, Knott was a third round pick. He is yet another underrated linebacker who has done nothing except produce for Iowa State. With deceptive speed, an ability to shed blocks, nice coverage skills for a man his size (6'3", 246 lbs.), and amazing instincts, Knott is a sleeper pick who will end up being a pleasant surprise for the team who picks him. He is a team captain and genuinely a great person off the field as well. Will play on special teams and do a great job.

Negatives: Knott's 2012 season ended with a shoulder tear, which raises questions about his durability. He can be a bit overaggressive when pursuing and tends to miss his fair share of tackles. He's not really great at pressuring a quarterback either, although he's been used more in coverage than as a blitzer.

Overall: Knott is the type of player that often goes unnoticed and unappreciated throughout his time in the NFL. What he contributes to a team often can't be measured with stats; you have to see him with your own eyes in order to understand what makes him special. He's not going to set the world on fire in his first year, especially coming off of a shoulder tear, but he definitely could contribute on special teams and eventually compete for a starting job, which, in all honesty, is all you can really hope for with a seventh round pick.

Player Comparison: Sean Lee. Like Lee, Knott is coming off of a serious injury incurred during his draft year (Lee's was a bit more serious, being an ACL. Like Lee, Knott is a guy who is great in coverage, but doesn't exactly stand out everywhere else. Lee, despite being a 3-4 inside linebacker, could probably play any linebacker spot in a 4-3, and talent-wise, he's much better than Knott is. But they have similar styles of play, and that's what I look for.

-

Thoughts, comments, criticisms...all are welcomed.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
One of the best mocks I've seen, great job. I think a trade down in the first is a legitimate option. Love the Warford and Brown picks especially- picking up plug and play starters ahead of sizzle picks is a Super Bowl recipe IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say the same thing that I said to LARams...I respect the effort and detail you put in the analysis although I am not a huge fan of the draft.

I'll say this much, I feel like some of the comparisons are stretches. I also don't think Matt Elam projects as well to FS as he does to SS. Think he's more of a downhill player. I think Cyprien fits that role better.

Also, I personally would say that if we want Arthur Brown, we'd need to flip the Warford and Brown picks.

Finally, I'm not a fan of TJ McDonald. He's stiff-hipped and lacks natural coverage instincts. I am not high on him...but if he does pan out, imo, he's more Bernard Pollard than Shawn Taylor...needs to play a role as primarily a run stopper and enforcer. I'd prefer Duke Williams in that slot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I may not agree with all the picks - Elam for one - I too like Cyp - but nicely laid out and a good read. I have a feeling that while all of us and the talking heads are talking about Austin, a lot of scouts and coaches are looking at Steadman. I'm going to guess that he goes early in the 2nd.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamFan503 said:
I may not agree with all the picks - Elam for one - I too like Cyp - but nicely laid out and a good read. I have a feeling that while all of us and the talking heads are talking about Austin, a lot of scouts and coaches are looking at Steadman. I'm going to guess that he goes early in the 2nd.
Agreed I honestly hope we get stedman in the second over tavon in the first. warmack at 16 trade down if hes gone cyp at 22 and stedman in rd 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really like this mock, Memento.

One thing that I will pick on, barely, is McDonald, but you still got value at that pick. I've seen him play as much as, or more than anybody, and although he had a ton of tackles, I didn't think that he was around the ball enough in coverage, so I question his instincts a little, but his PD's are decent.
Because I watched him a ton, he didn't flash enough for me considering his hype, bloodlines, and absolute prototype body for a free safety. All that said, where you picked him could be a tremendous value, and he could turn out to be a very good player if he matures a little, and takes to coaching.

There is one other pick that I wouldn't make, but not because he isn't a good football player, Zac Stacy. I know he's powerful for his size, but if we waste a pick on a RB, I'd take a bigger back. I'd rather you triple down on another safety prospect, like your boy, Cooper Taylor at this spot, or maybe even Knile Davis if you want to stay RB.

All the other players are not only good football players, but are some of my favorite players in this draft. I disagree with jrry32, seems like that is happening a lot lately, no offense, but Matt Elam is one of the best free safeties in this class, I really like Cyprien too though, and would be thrilled with either player. Elam has range, speed, he's tough as nails, and he has great numbers. In two years he has 6 INT's and 18 PD's. I'm not positive, but I think only Phillip Thomas has better numbers.

Wheaton flashes, every time I watch him, and if his body holds up, he could be special, and he compliments our corp, as a do it all receiver. He'd be a beast in the slot, but moving him around at flanker would be awesome. He would replace and upgrade Gibby, with a quicker and faster version.

I have Warford as my number 2 pure guard behind Cooper.

I'm sure our coaching staff would love to get their hands on Webb, and we really, really, still need a punt returner. I could see Wheaton being able to do some of that, although he did very little in college. He only attempted one punt return as a soph, but he went for 52 yards. We will pick another corner.

Great stuff.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:clap: I like your effort on this mock Memento!!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd like the Matt Elam pick. But I'd rather take at least one of the top rated WRs over 2 late rounders.

OLB is one of my favorite positions, but outside of Jarvis Jones, I don't see them picking one early.

I'm indifferent on Larry Warford.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Like others have said; nicely done Memento!

I like the draft. I too prefer Cyprien.

I like getting that extra 2nd rounder! I hope we can parlay one of those firsts for extra EARLY picks. I'm not interested in picks for the sake of picks... but I like a lot of the prospects throughout the 2nd round. The more picks in that range the better.

Our board has some awesome mock guys!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
Like others have said; nicely done Memento!

I like the draft. I too prefer Cyprien.

I like getting that extra 2nd rounder! I hope we can parlay one of those firsts for extra EARLY picks. I'm not interested in picks for the sake of picks... but I like a lot of the prospects throughout the 2nd round. The more picks in that range the better.

Our board has some awesome mock guys!
Mock guys? You might want to restate that. :sly:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I tweeted this bad boy. One of the more ballzy mocks as far as I'm concerned. I may not agree with all of the picks, but they're smart and it involves a trade scenario that could very well play out. Not the easiest thing to predict of course, but it's definitely a fresh angle. You've got everything covered, and it's clear you've done your research.

Nice job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR RAM said:
All the other players are not only good football players, but are some of my favorite players in this draft. I disagree with jrry32, seems like that is happening a lot lately, no offense, but Matt Elam is one of the best free safeties in this class, I really like Cyprien too though, and would be thrilled with either player. Elam has range, speed, he's tough as nails, and he has great numbers. In two years he has 6 INT's and 18 PD's. I'm not positive, but I think only Phillip Thomas has better numbers.

Wheaton flashes, every time I watch him, and if his body holds up, he could be special, and he compliments our corp, as a do it all receiver. He'd be a beast in the slot, but moving him around at flanker would be awesome. He would replace and upgrade Gibby, with a quicker and faster version.

According to UF, Elam has 6 ints and 12 PDs. Cyprien has 5 ints and 18 PDs over the same period of time.

My issue with Elam is that I don't think he gets a great jump on the ball. And while he has speed, range really comes from your ability to read the QB and anticipate the pass. Rambo and Cyprien are the two best in this class at that.

I love Wheaton as well. He's one of my guarantee players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:

Sign me up too.

I love route runners. This guy gets separation in his routes.

He's smaller, thin, but I like him a lot!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:

According to UF, Elam has 6 ints and 12 PDs. Cyprien has 5 ints and 18 PDs over the same period of time.

My issue with Elam is that I don't think he gets a great jump on the ball. And while he has speed, range really comes from your ability to read the QB and anticipate the pass. Rambo and Cyprien are the two best in this class at that.

I just looked at their last two years to attempt to be fair, neither had great numbers their freshman years, and Elam came out early. My source was: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jonathan-cyprien-1.html, and http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-elam-1.html, and http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/phillip-thomas-2.html. I like Rambo as well, especially since we have the same last name, but I would rate Thomas over him. I could almost flip a coin between Cyprien and Elam. I've played and coached the secondary position, and I think they are both rangy enough, but I will have to try and find and watch some more tape on Elam to see if I notice that. Really hard to see without coaches tape. BTW, I think both guys could play SS, if they can't play FS, so they both have a fall back, IMO. And...to be fair, Thomas played more at free than both of them, so the stats probably reflect that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:

I just looked at their last two years to attempt to be fair, neither had great numbers their freshman years, and Elam came out early. My source was: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jonathan-cyprien-1.html, and http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-elam-1.html, and http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/phillip-thomas-2.html. I like Rambo as well, especially since we have the same last name, but I would rate Thomas over him. I could almost flip a coin between Cyprien and Elam. I've played and coached the secondary position, and I think they are both rangy enough, but I will have to try and find and watch some more tape on Elam to see if I notice that. Really hard to see without coaches tape. BTW, I think both guys could play SS, if they can't play FS, so they both have a fall back, IMO. And...to be fair, Thomas played more at free than both of them, so the stats probably reflect that.

Yea, safety is the position I played as well. And I've found that it's one of the hardest to evaluate. I like Elam a lot in a SS role. Just personally feel Cyprien has more potential at FS.

As for Thomas, I watched the Oregon game and was so unhappy with his play that I never watched another...not really fair to him...haha.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Love the trade down and I think it’s realistic. Love the Elam and Brown picks, especially considering they would provide the answer to the read option offenses we face numerous times a year.

I like the Warford and Wheaton picks in terms of need. However, I wouldn’t mind if the picks were reversed and we got Hopkins at #27 and the best guard available at #57. That said; I don’t know if there is another guard available in the second that is ready to start and I freely admit I am a Hopkins homer.

Overall, I would love to see the Rams pick up so many promising players. Great draft Memento!

Name
Piter
The best and most consistent mock you already read this past month I have only seen through mock gibberish. I'm not in favor of taking a S in the first round even liked the end result.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Okay...this will actually feature a trade in the first round (won't be predicting trades in the later rounds, though...). Since it's my final draft, I'll be pulling out all of the stops with analysis and everything. Okay, here it goes:

#16 overall - TRADED to the Houston Texans for #27 and #57. The Texans have a huge need for a receiver. Without Andre Johnson, they don't really have a receiving threat. I honestly don't think that Tavon Austin or Chance Warmack will be there at that point; the former's too much of a game-breaker with the ball in his hands, and the latter is regarded as one of the best guards to come out in recent memory. However, I think Patterson will be there. I'm not much of a fan of Patterson; he's a big unpolished wideout, and I believe that we already have most of his attributes in Quick. But Houston will certainly be interested; he has a ton of potential, and he would make an excellent number two receiver who could eventually become a number one when Johnson declines and/or retires. So, they'll give us their first and second round picks to move up and take their future number one receiver.

-

#22 overall pick - Matt Elam, free safety, Florida.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gic39ASBQDE[/youtube]

Positives: Elam is easily one of my favorite safeties in this class because he's just so versatile. He did everything that his team asked him to do. He was the heart-and-soul of the Gators' defense and one of their most consistent players throughout his career. Elam is - first and foremost - a hard-hitting safety who is extremely fast and has impressive closing speed. With him and Darian Stewart, you could possibly have the most physical safety tandem in the NFC West now that Goldson is gone from the 49ers. Elam is fantastic in coverage; he's able to backpedal, read the quarterback's eyes like a cornerback, and come up with a big hit to jar the ball loose or deflect it away. He forces an impressive amount of turnovers, which is something that we could've used last year from our safeties. He would easily be an upgrade over Dahl.

Negatives: A big problem with Elam is his small size; he is listed at 5'9" 7/8ths officially, even though he's a solid 210 lbs. While he is good in coverage, his size may hinder him from covering the bigger tight ends. He does have one alcohol-related arrest. On the field, he has a tendency to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up, and he also tends to gamble on passes, both of which can lead to big gains. His aggressive style of play may lead to penalties and eventually fines.

Overall: Elam has incredible upside, and Fisher and Snead might be interested in trying to coach him as a playmaking safety who has the ability to be both a ballhawk and a heat-seeking missile.

Player Comparison: Bob Sanders. The 2007 Defensive Player of the Year was a key component for the Colts during their championship run. Without him, their defense was pitiful. Elam has the same hard-hitting ferocious style of play that Sanders did, but thus far, he has not had the injury concerns that Sanders had coming out. I fully expect Elam to be a similar player to the 2005 version of Sanders; it's unfair to both Elam and Sanders to expect him to be as good as Sanders' best year.

-

#27 overall pick - Larry Warford, offensive guard, Kentucky.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glV9ET261DQ[/youtube]

Positives: I know, I know, a lot of people consider Warford to be a second round prospect, but he'd immediately upgrade our offensive line, and I don't think we'd get him with our second round pick. Fisher has proven that he'll "reach" for a player who has potential (see, Chris Johnson and Michael Roos). But onto Warford. He has impressive size at 6'3", 333 lbs., but what impresses me most is his mobility for a man his size. He moves like a guard who's 305, not someone at his weight. He's effective at pulling and has a real nasty streak in the run game; he finishes all of his blocks with authority. He is also an incredible pass-protector who is easily the best player on that terrible offensive line - and probably on the offense itself.

Negatives: As with any man his size, Warford is going to have to watch his conditioning. He tends to wear down a bit as the game goes on. He is strictly a right guard and cannot play tackle. He also occasionally struggles with swim moves.

Overall: Warford is my top-rated guard in this class. Yes, even over Warmack and Cooper. He is a perfect fit for our blocking scheme, and guards with his size and mobility don't grow on trees. Drafting him would force us to cut Harvey Dahl, yes, but Dahl may be declining; he did not play well last year. But think about a line with Long, Watkins, Wells, Warford, and Saffold. Think about Pead, Richardson, and Ganaway running behind that line. Yeah, we're pretty much golden.

Player Comparison: Mike Iupati. They may play different guard slots, but their overall style remains the same. Iupati is very slightly better than Warford at run-blocking, while Warford is much better at pass-protection. Both men are massive, but have very quick feet. Both can pull and dominate defensive tackles in the running game. However, Warford may just turn out even better than Iupati, and the latter is one of the best guards in the game.

-

#46 overall pick - Arthur Brown, outside linebacker, Kansas State.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZoRRPFnrWs[/youtube]

Positives: Brown's biggest quality is his leadership. That's what's gotten him Ray Lewis comparisons. He is a two-time team captain and a very hard worker who leads both vocally and by example. He is extremely instinctive; he diagnoses plays very quickly and is a very disciplined player. He was used as a spy against very mobile quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III, and he's fast enough to cover them and fluid enough to drop into coverage against tight ends. As a run-stopper, he is fantastic. He flies to the ball carrier and wraps up; he is very fundamentally sound in tackling and makes sure tackles about 99% of the time. Not used very often as a blitzer, but when he was, he showed a lot of potential. All in all, a very well-rounded linebacker.

Negatives: Brown is not the biggest linebacker at 6'0", 240 lbs, and he won't be able to play on the inside in either system. He is strictly an outside linebacker in a 4-3, which limits him a lot. There are minor questions about his maturity after he transferred from Miami to Kansas State, but those could be overblown. There are questions as to if he's a playmaker; he was not known for creating splash plays in college, and will have to quell those doubts in the pros.

Overall: Arthur Brown is actually my second rated linebacker prospect behind Jarvis Jones. The only reasons he falls to the second round is because of recent injury concerns (which are actually fairly warranted, given his size) and the fact that he's a 4-3 outside linebacker only. He'll still be a second round prospect; he just won't be a high second round pick, and that works to our advantage.

Player Comparison: NaVorro Bowman. Like Bowman, Brown's ability to stop the run and make all of the right plays are what makes him a top prospect. He's around the same size as Bowman and will also need to quell questions about whether he can make splash plays aside from tackles for a loss. I have a feeling that Brown will be able to do that, much like Bowman did.

-

#57 overall pick - Markus Wheaton, wide receiver, Oregon State.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_G2PWoTMw[/youtube]

Positives: Wheaton is extremely athletic. He's a track athlete who can actually translate it to on-the-field production. He is a legitimate deep threat who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He is best used on deep routes, but he has enough skill and intelligence to learn all of the routes. He can be utilized in the slot or on the outside, either taking the top off a defense with his second gear or running a screen or reverse. He will get you major YAC. He does a great job catching the ball in most scenarios. He is a very hard-working player who has improved every year and was voted as the team captain in his senior year.

Negatives: Wheaton is a touch on the light side (182 lbs); he could probably stand to gain a bit more muscle in an NFL strength program. He's not built to take big hits over the middle; it would be best if he got the ball in space. He could also learn to come back to the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come to him.

Overall: I can see Wheaton having a great impact at the next level as a receiver who can do similar things to what Givens can do. An offense can never have enough speed, and having Givens and Wheaton to stretch defenses - along with Cook, Quick, Pettis, Kendricks, and the receiver drafted right after Wheaton - would make our offense very respectable indeed.

Player Comparison: Antonio Brown. I see the Chris Givens/Mike Wallace comparisons and raise you a Wheaton/Brown. Like Brown, Wheaton has impressive speed with a good mix of route-running and hands. Like Brown when he came out, Wheaton could use a bit more bulk to function against the bigger cornerbacks in the league. And like Brown, Wheaton has the potential to be a very good number two receiver in the league with the potential to line up both outside and in the slot.

-

#78 overall pick - Stedman Bailey, wide receiver, West Virginia.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2K1xx6bmQ[/youtube]

Positives: We may have missed out on Tavon Austin, but his college teammate is far from a bad consolation prize. While Markus Wheaton is a big play receiver we need, Bailey is the reliable receiver that you can always count on to go over the middle, run all of the right routes, help out his quarterback every time, and catch everything in sight. Bailey is one of the most polished route runners in his class; no movement is wasted, and he's very smooth in and out of his breaks. For such a small receiver, he has a large catch radius; if he gets two hands on the ball, he's not dropping it. Despite Austin's game-breaking abilities, Bailey was often the more reliable target for Geno Smith. Like Wheaton, Bailey has also shown potential to play the slot and the outside, although he may be a better fit as a slot receiver with his quickness.

Negatives: Bailey's size (5'10") is a hindrance, along with his so-so speed. He may have been able to run away from college cornerbacks and get separation, but he isn't a really fast receiver. He has some off-the-field issues, including being cited for shoplifting cold medication. He's not really a YAC type of receiver; he'll get the first down, but he doesn't really break tackles.

Overall: Bailey's skillset as a potential slot receiver who can get open and catch passes on third down meshes well with Wheaton's and the rest of our receivers, and he would be a quality addition to a receiving core that suddenly looks very dangerous. He would be a replacement for Amendola, and quite possibly even better.

Player Comparison: Steve Smith (Carolina). Like Smith, Bailey is quite tough while running inside the numbers. He may not have Smith's pure athleticism, but he certainly has the toughness, route-running, and catch radius of the star receiver. I don't envision Bailey having a better career than Smith, but he'll certainly have a good one, nonetheless.

-

#113 overall pick - T.J. McDonald, safety, USC.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFbpHS-kO0[/youtube]

Positives: An impressive physical specimen at 6'3", 219 lbs., McDonald is one of the fiercest intimidators in all of college football. Unlike his predecessor, Taylor Mays, McDonald can actually cover the bigger tight ends. He is a straight-line player who closes quickly to the ball-carrier. He has incredible range for a man his size; he can close the distance to either sideline. He creates all sorts of splash plays, and while he doesn't get the interceptions you expect, he does have the ball skills to create more turnovers.

Negatives: He has been suspended games for illegal hits to the head before, and his playing style could result in penalties and fines in the NFL. He can be overaggressive and bite on play-action, and he tends to take some bad angles to the ball. He is somewhat inconsistent in coverage; a lot of days he's amazing, but there's some that'll make you wonder why he's even on the field. And don't ever put him up against a speedy receiver; it will not end well.

Overall: McDonald is insurance in case Darian Stewart gets injured again, has a bad year, or if he decides to leave after a good year. His sheer physical attributes and instincts make him an intriguing option, but his grasp of the technical aspects of the game is somewhat lacking. Sheltering him a bit and putting him up against only the tight ends would be ideal, but he can be an immediate contributor.

Player Comparison: Sean Taylor. No, this is not a joke. I don't think McDonald will be half as good as what Taylor was. But there are just so many similarities that it's impossible to ignore. Similar height (both are 6'3"), weight (Taylor's 220 to McDonald's 219) and speed (both were clocked at 4.4.), they're both enforcers for their respective teams, and in spite of their size, they cover quite well and can adequately fill both free safety and strong safety roles for their team. And I sure as hell would love to have a Sean Taylor-type on my team in case Darian Stewart falters or leaves next year.

-

#149 overall pick - B.W. Webb, cornerback/returner, William & Mary.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLR_6x9kR8[/youtube]

Positives: Webb is a pure athlete. He's very fast, has impressive quick-twitch skills, and has the ability to stay with his man in coverage. He has ideal recovery speed for the position, and his ball skills are incredible. He is a lethal weapon with the ball in his hand; he has gotten two pick-sixes out of the eleven interceptions he had in his career, and he's had two punt return touchdowns to boot.

Negatives: The first thing to question is the level of competition, although he did perform well against larger schools and in big games. Webb does not have ideal size for the position, and could be relegated to a slot corner role in the NFL because of that and his lack of consistency in the running game. He does tend to take off some plays off. He is purely a zone cornerback at this point in time; his backpedal needs work, he struggles to locate the ball in man coverage, and his press coverage is terrible. He still relies too much on his athleticism to bail him out.

Overall: Webb looks like a slot corner at the next level. While he has great athleticism and returning skills, and while he's willing to support the run, he's simply not a consistent physical presence like Janoris Jenkins is to make up for his size. What he will do for you is be an excellent zone slot cornerback who will break off large punt returns and kick returns for you. That may be why he falls to the fifth round, but he's certainly a steal for us at this point.

Player Comparison: Adam "Pacman" Jones. Webb is a very similar cornerback to Jones, who was a sixth overall pick in 2005. Like Jones, Webb is a weapon with the ball in his hands, and could be the returner that this team sorely needs. Once Jones figured out his role in the NFL and got his head screwed on right, he became one of the best returners in the game.

-

#184 overall pick - Zac Stacy, running back, Vanderbilt.

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOBrUQQNzo[/youtube]

Positives: Stacy is a productive back who played at a high level in one of the toughest conferences in America. He has incredible power for a back his size (5'9", 208 lbs.) and he gets a lot of yards after contact. He has even more incredible vision and can pick out a hole and squeeze through it for positive yards. He plays a lot bigger than his listed measurements and is a willing and able blocker.

Negatives: Stacy does not have breakaway speed, and he is not a very large back at all. Aside from that, he has some injury issues that could scare off teams.

Overall: Stacy is a small, but very powerful and compact running back that would be a perfect compliment to the three that they already have.

Player Comparison: Mark Ingram. Like Ingram, Stacy is a powerful running back with great vision who does not have optimal size or speed. Like Ingram, Stacy has had some injury concerns in his career. But Stacy was insanely productive like his comparison, and could end up being a huge sleeper pick.

-

#222 overall pick - Jake Knott, outside linebacker, Iowa State

[youtube]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJUBRoetWc[/youtube]

Positives: With your seventh round pick, you should probably take a calculated risk. Why not take said risk on a player who's fallen because of injury? Pre-injury, Knott was a third round pick. He is yet another underrated linebacker who has done nothing except produce for Iowa State. With deceptive speed, an ability to shed blocks, nice coverage skills for a man his size (6'3", 246 lbs.), and amazing instincts, Knott is a sleeper pick who will end up being a pleasant surprise for the team who picks him. He is a team captain and genuinely a great person off the field as well. Will play on special teams and do a great job.

Negatives: Knott's 2012 season ended with a shoulder tear, which raises questions about his durability. He can be a bit overaggressive when pursuing and tends to miss his fair share of tackles. He's not really great at pressuring a quarterback either, although he's been used more in coverage than as a blitzer.

Overall: Knott is the type of player that often goes unnoticed and unappreciated throughout his time in the NFL. What he contributes to a team often can't be measured with stats; you have to see him with your own eyes in order to understand what makes him special. He's not going to set the world on fire in his first year, especially coming off of a shoulder tear, but he definitely could contribute on special teams and eventually compete for a starting job, which, in all honesty, is all you can really hope for with a seventh round pick.

Player Comparison: Sean Lee. Like Lee, Knott is coming off of a serious injury incurred during his draft year (Lee's was a bit more serious, being an ACL. Like Lee, Knott is a guy who is great in coverage, but doesn't exactly stand out everywhere else. Lee, despite being a 3-4 inside linebacker, could probably play any linebacker spot in a 4-3, and talent-wise, he's much better than Knott is. But they have similar styles of play, and that's what I look for.

-

Thoughts, comments, criticisms...all are welcomed.

OMG! Better late then never Memento:whistle:...I never knew you back in 2013. But my sister Ewe, and I followed and watched a bunch of game film on the 2013 draft. I got to give you Kudos for drafting better than 80% or more of NFL insanely high paid GM's. I got to confess I wanted Rams to draft Larry Warford so badly(y)...Now, I must bow down and salute your vastly superior 2013 draft.:notworthy:

I admit I was a big fan of Tavon Austin, Ogletree , Warford , S. Bailey , Elam, and Zak Stacy. I also liked the Barrett Jones pick late. I can only hope Barrett Jones will pan out...I must salute your picks Memento...Any NFL GM would be proud! You should apply for an NFL scouting job.

I haven't given up on 2013! I still have High hopes for Tavon Austin...Wait till after 2016 to judge Tavon Austin. (PM me if you want to know why I say wait till 2016 for Tavon Austin;)

My biggest regret from 2013 draft?:cry: Not trading picks to get into position to take Larry Warford! Gawd I wanted Larry Warford. :cry: If we had Larry Warford, we could have drafted a humongous banana bunch of best available players in 2015. (y):notworthy:

Mark my words Memento..We will not win over 8 games in 2015, but Rams will kick ass in 2016 and compete for the Super Bowl! I have my reasons for feeling this way. But I won't state my reasons for "Why Rams Break Even in 2015" on public posts, because I don't dig drama.

Got to keep the loonies on the path. Every day the paper boy brings more. And if your head explodes!!!:eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8iUI_ayuo

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Can't say for sure what the non-Rams would have done in St. Louis, but Warford should be playing RG for the Rams right now and McDonald has been a find.

However, the Ravens benched Matt Elam last year and he has been called out by his GM this offseason and to date Arthur Brown has been a bust for them. They even tried to trade him after his rookie season.

To date, the Texans look smart for saying put and selecting Deandre Hopkins instead of trading up for Patterson. Minus that trade there's no Wheaton who caught 53 passes for 644 yards last year, but began to lose some time to 2014 draftee Martavis Bryant.

If I'm not mistaken, Webb and Knott may be out of the league or at the bottom of their 2nd or 3rd teams roster. And of course, Stacy went from starter to 3rd string last year and was dealt while Bailey is still the team's 4th WR.