@MelKiperESPN, says all three of the Rams' Day 2 picks were reaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I guess I'm curious... were picks good to him (Kiper) over the last 10+ years? I'm thinking they were...which means for the most part...he blows...

I see grades to this (Rams) draft around the "C" range. In recent years I've seen much better, but look at the results? It's subjective. Me personally, I'll wait for the results before formulating an opinion.
USA today dinged us for a D+ . i wonder what the difference between a D- and a D + is ?
the main complaint is the NFL isnt the Sun Belt nor is it the FCS. true enough. its also not the NCAA. i remember a draft that had 2 of the better TE's going to the Rams and they were 2 of the biggest busts possible. they both played at big programs (colorado and usc ) so that couldnt have been the excuse.
if Goff rebounds and has even a decent season, then this draft wont be so bad since the 1st was used to get a future starting qb. at least the new management realized the old wr corps was pretty awful since most of them are no longer here. that in itself shows signs of improvement , the old addition through subtraction process.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's too bad nobody archives all the dumb things Kiper says.
But then you'd have to listen to them again. I choose to ignore the winding (freaking spellchecker! That was supposed to be WINDBAG) the first time.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty funny. I seem to remember us getting some pretty high marks over the past several years. How'd that work out for us? We have some pretty decent talent but it's time to win. And MAYBE that happens with real football players rather than guys the do nothings deem top choices.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
USA today dinged us for a D+ . i wonder what the difference between a D- and a D + is ?
the main complaint is the NFL isnt the Sun Belt nor is it the FCS. true enough. its also not the NCAA. i remember a draft that had 2 of the better TE's going to the Rams and they were 2 of the biggest busts possible. they both played at big programs (colorado and usc ) so that couldnt have been the excuse.
if Goff rebounds and has even a decent season, then this draft wont be so bad since the 1st was used to get a future starting qb. at least the new management realized the old wr corps was pretty awful since most of them are no longer here. that in itself shows signs of improvement , the old addition through subtraction process.

The irony of that criticism is that all the weapons we took had strong weeks at the Senior Bowl.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Who did they draft that isn't ready to play? They were all successful college players. Fisher was the guy that thought he could coach a gorilla to play football.

They definitely had more of need/scheme fit draft then BPA, but when you think about it they are bringing in two new entirely different schemes on Off /Def. So it is understandable that they have to go get guys that are needs in order to get this scheme off the ground.

They are in in essence starting from scratch where the roster is filled with the previous regimes players, who were drafted to fit a different scheme. So they may have had to force a few picks so they can do what they want to do on offense and defense.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well shit, I guess it's all over now. I'll just give up on the Rams and pick up Sunday ticket and watch "etched in stone" former first overall pick Jake Locker, AKA a rich mans Peyton Manning.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I can't listen to anything this walking dumpster fire says. He said of Ryan leaf and I quote Kiper said… – “His attitude will be an asset in the NFL…”.
His opinions are nothing more then hot gsrbage

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The predraft process is all a cash shell game anyway, at least the stuff that Walter Football and Kiper try to sell us. Hell, Kiper got outed a few years back for taking cash for player endorsements from that agent that got black balled.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Accumulating picks seems like a wise move. If you want more hits, then you need to take more at bats.

While there is some logic to this, there is also the point of diminishing returns... the further down you go, the higher the miss rate.

It's never going to be an exact science.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Guys like Kiper have lots of access to game tape, but I wonder how much of the mental stuff they have access to?

You can't measure heart, desire, and mental toughness. Which makes good players great and average players better.

I'd even argue "heart" puts guys on the roster than otherwise don't belong, but they know how to overcome adversity... where more physically talented players succumb to defeat.

Ants

Starter
"The Rams got the steal of this draft by taking Jason Shivers in round 5."

- Mel Kiper, 2004

You know, from time to time I think about Shivers and that pick. As I recall, he was a safety from Arizona. I recall agreeing with Kiper on that quote...I think many others agreed, too.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Kiper = salesman

Belichick is the one guy who gets the draft. New England has made many more 2nd and 3rd round picks (by far) than any other NFL team the last decade. But you have to have good coaching and development first to make that work. I'll take 8 picks every year with 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Our own (which is hopefully lower in the round) and some poor sucker's which is near the top of the round.

FRO

Legend
Kiper = salesman

Belichick is the one guy who gets the draft. New England has made many more 2nd and 3rd round picks (by far) than any other NFL team the last decade. But you have to have good coaching and development first to make that work. I'll take 8 picks every year with 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Our own (which is hopefully lower in the round) and some poor sucker's which is near the top of the round.
I think loading up on the second and third round is a great way to go. So many good players to be had in those rounds. That being said having the QB position figured out makes drafting much easier.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Cooper Kupp" (PFF) gave him a 4.5-point grade (senior bowl), the highest among offensive players.
And we dropped down and got him! " that sure seems like a real 'REACH' Mel!!!!"

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Despite being wrong all the time they tend to keep their jobs. Can't be too bad.
I guess you just have to have a thick skin. It's the same reason I hated playing baseball, even the best hitters fail 70% of the time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kiper = salesman

I think loading up on the second and third round is a great way to go. So many good players to be had in those rounds. That being said having the QB position figured out makes drafting much easier.

I think you guys are right, having multiple selections among the top 100 can help you a lot more than a top 10 pick in each of the rounds. Especially if you are building a roster around a QB that you already have that is very good to excellent, or even elite.